Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Slimline Showtime Smoke Unit (vs. TME) >

Slimline Showtime Smoke Unit (vs. TME)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Slimline Showtime Smoke Unit (vs. TME)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 01:15 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slimline Showtime Smoke Unit (vs. TME)

Anyone bought and used one of these new Slimline Showtime smoke units yet? What's your impression?

I'm not really happy to see a NiMH battery, and 6 volts in the Slimline... not sure if my Digipulse will charge it...need to check the manual about that.

I've got TME in a plane now, and although it works very well, mine, like other's I've talked too, began to leak after about ten gallons of smoke oil went thru it. Now, I have to pack paper towels around the TME pump to collet and get rid of all the leaking smoke oil inside the fuse. Not much fun.

-Doug Brindle
Old 04-23-2003, 03:14 AM

Doug, just to throw in another smoke pump, 3w has just come out with a new one. It's pretty much like the Don Harris pumps. Does not require separate battery. Just plug the lead into your receiver and your done. The pump even comes with a little rubber mount that can be mounted almost anywhere on the plane. I believe the cost is $100.00. For more info you can contact Cactus Aviation at 520-721-0087. I know he has quite a few in stock. Hope this gives you some more ideas.
Garrett Morrison
Old 04-23-2003, 02:01 PM

The slimline can be charged with a standard radio charger. The cool thing about the slimline is:
#1 It's a single unit, all in 1 package.
#2 With a computer radio it can be set up on a curve with the throttle.
#3 The pump is adjustable! (not a valve in a line!)
I have one installed in my 31% edge but have not used it yet. This past weekend was the 1st run on the motor. So more will be said in the coming weeks.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:57 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Don't overlook the new Sullivan unit either. I picked one of these up at Toledo, and it works great. It's pretty much the same as the slimline without the battery. It has a speed control in it that allows you to change the volume of the oil from the trans. Plus it comes with all the little parts to make it work (check valve, filter, etc.).

-Aaron
Old 04-26-2003, 01:13 AM

Thanks for the reply guys... I talked to Don, of Don's Hobby Shop. If you're into giant scale, I'm sure you've seen his advertisments in some of the magazines.

Don said he thinks my TME (and other people's TME) pump leaks is because I don't simply have it wrapped in foam rubber and gently placed in the plane. I chose to use the mounting holes on the TME pump, mounting it to a plate, isolated on large rubber grommets. He thinks the vibration is getting to the pump. Says he's got a TME that more than ten years old, and not leaking.... I don't know.... I've talked to others who also have leaking TME pumps.

Don has the new Slimline pumps listed at $110 on his website, but he's got no stock. The going price for a slimline is more in the $150 range...for people who've got them on the shelf.

I didn't realize that Sullivan had a new one out... I'll look that up. Thanks for the help....

Now if I could only find some really short spark plugs... my CM6 plugs are about 1/8" too long... hit the inside of the cowl.
-Doug
Old 04-26-2003, 02:21 AM

Tower has it listed as coming into stock at the end of April. they are selling for $115.99

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUL89&P=0
Old 06-08-2003, 10:10 PM

Default Sullivan Skywriter

RCPilot44, was that the Sullivan that was $115 or the slimline?

I have been trying to find out something about the Sullivan, Can't even find the price.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:23 PM

I bought the Sullivan at a LHS about two weeks ago. I paid about $65. I figured out how to program it for variable speed pumping....

Now I gotta get my engine mounted, and this plane finished.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:19 AM

Actually, I think Tower raised the price of the Slimeline to $125.00 and the Sullivan in $74.00. Does anyone know where I can get the Sullivan for less.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:05 AM

Default SMoke systems

I got my engine running pretty well now. Need to tweak in the high end needle.

I've got the Sullivan programmed for variable speed pumping...

Will let everyone know how well it works after I get it all bolted together and running.

I'm running it on an old (but NIB) D&B twin 3.7 (looks identical to the BME), and I think I'm going to split the smoke between the two mufflers via a T in the line....

I was considering writing a review for RC Universe and or one of the magazines.... The programming on my Futaba Super 8 took about 30 minutes to figure it all out, and another hour of messing around trying different configurations of switches and rates - just seeing how I could change the flow rate for optimum performance.

My first impressions of the Sullivan pump.... it's a plastic case with a milled and anodized aluminum top with a simple pump motor and some electronics. I could be made a little lighter... but I guess if you're hauling around 24oz of smoke oil, you're not too worried about saving a half oz in the weight of the pump....
-Doug Brindle
Old 06-11-2003, 11:23 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Doug- this is in reply to your question about the Showtime smoke pump by Slimline. I bought one as soon as they where available from my LHS. Waited 2 weeks for him to get it. I installed it in my GP 33% Pitts. I have an O.S. 300 twin for power. For the exhaust I used the stock "elbows" that came with the engine and added the optional "flex" tube so it would exit out the bottom of the cowl. I put the smoke nipples about 1 1/2" from the exhaust port. I installed the pump on the left side of the engine mount with the inlet/outlet pointing up ( mistake #1 ) I found the pump was not strong enough to draw from the tank to the exhaust. OR the exhaust pressure was to much for the pump
pressure. I called several times to Slimline but no one could help to solve the problem. The ONE person who MIGHT be able to help was always gone. So, I set out solve the problem on my own.
I remounted the pump so it was now "flat". I moved the tank closer to the pump. Each change made it a little better, but could not rely on WHEN the pump would work. Low RPM and the pump would prime and work. At high RPM if I shut the pump off, it would not re-prime and not work. So, thinking that yes, the nipples are to close to the exhaust ports and the exhaust pressure is to much
I invested in a pair of 4-stroke mufflers and attached them to the end of the flex tubeing. That put the smoke nipples further downstream of the exhaust pressure in hopes of the pump being able to overcome the pressure. NO SUCH LUCK. It still does not work on command. So now I will send it back to have it checked
out to see if it is a bad pump. TOO MUCH FRUSTRATION!
I am very un-happy with a product that was supposed to be such a simple install and work so well. PLUS I paid $139.00 for it.
There are better systems out there for less money.
Good luck---Vicster
Old 06-12-2003, 02:29 AM

Default Check Valve to help Pump problems

You think your pump is having trouble overcoming the pressure inside the muffler - and it's losing it's prime...

Have you installed a check valve between the muffler and the smoke pump?

I've found (via my days using TME pumps), that I install the nipple half way between the input and output holes (for lack of a better name) in the muffler. I run about three inches of the black fuel tubing ('cause it will hold up to the heat - yellow silicone tubing will not!). Then, I install a check valve into the black tubing, and connect the other side of the check valve to yellow tubing, then to the pump..... like this:

muffler
to
nipple
to
black tubing (three inches)
to
check valve (see TME website - cost is about $5)
to
yellow tubing
to
smoke pump
to
smoke fluid tank

Even with the check valve, I find that I HAVE to prime the pump before every flight - and I'll run the pump until I get a very slight amount of smoke oil coming out of the muffler - before I start the engine. I still lose the prime in the air during hi-G manuevers..... I think I'm going to install a check valve between the smoke pump and the smoke fluid tank, then, in theory, the pump should never lose it's prime....I think.

Hope this helps.... Let me know.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:17 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Default smoke pump-Slimline

Doug- yes I have tried the check valve. After the tank and after the pump. I even tried one IN the tank. All to no avail.
Now, check this out. I went to a Checkers Auto Parts store and bought a universal windshield wiper pump. ( 6V ) ithen made my own system with a 2400ma battery and 26 oz tank. I use a micro-switch and a Hitech micro servo to turn off and on. It does not matter what I do with the engine RPM or the airplanes attitude, it
ALWAYS comes on and works. Total cost was $31.00 including the servo. Go fiqure! Not sure how long the pump will work with the smoke oil, but I have used it now on three planes for about 10 months.
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions.
Vicster

Fly low and fast.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:28 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Vicster

Use a speed control to run the pump and you will have programmable control.
You only need one of the cheaper controls.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:53 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sullivan Smoke Pump

I have a Sullivan Smoke Pump that I bought in Toledo, this April. I installed it in a Dynaflite PT19. I have an RCS180 gas motor with a Bisson side mount smoke muffler. I have a 24oz gas and smoke tank installed side by side on the CG about 6+ back from the firewall.

Per Sullivan's directions, I have large yellow tygon tubing running from the smoke tank to an aluminum tee (this goes to the fuel dot for filling the tank) to the Crap Trap filter to the check valve (with O ring on the check valve closer to the pump) to the pump. I have black neoprene running from the pump to the nipple on the smoke muffler.

When I fuel the tank, through the tee, I also get some smoke oil running out the muffler. When the tank is full, I start the engine and turn on the smoke pump, sometimes it needs a prime. I get good smoke after the prime. I take off and fly around for a minute or so. I turn on the smoke and I get smoke, but when I turn it off and on again, I either get a short puff of smoke or I get no smoke.

Sullivan said to follow the plumbing diagram that came with the unit. They also said to remove the tee and put a third line in the tank as the teed line might be pulling in air.

I looked at the check valve to see if it was screwed together tightly at the O ring. It seemed to be.

I want to try it without the tee in the line and then put in a third line in the tank.

Sullivan did not mention using more than one checkvalve - Is there a good one that most people use with a pumped smoke system?
Old 06-12-2003, 08:51 PM
My Feedback: (5)

This type of check valve works well

http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/checkvalve.html
Old 09-27-2003, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Slimline Showtime Smoke Unit (vs. TME)

I bought the slimline pump through my LHS a couple of months ago. About five weeks ago, I finished my project only to find that the smoke pump was inop. My LHS and Slimline have been very inept in replacing the unit. Slimline has very poor service. Maybe this is why Tower chooses not to have their pump on hand? Slimline tries to sell you their product directly, however, they can't even send you a tracking number even after you request one. They have very poor service, and seem to "feel" you out when you call them.

Word of advice, stay away from Slimline pumps. You can probably devise a smoke pump using another route.

Adio, ciao, alvidazen.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 PM

Default RE: Slimline Showtime <span class=

I am installing a Slimline Show time pump this week in a Clip wing 46 size Cub with a 70 OS with a slimline smoke pitts style pipe. . I have not seen one good thing about this pump so far at this forum. If anyone out there can give me some sound advice on how to make it work let me know.

Thanks
Boydman
Old 12-05-2003, 11:52 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Well Here's another strike aganist SLIMLINE I also purchased a Showtime pump when they first came out. I installed it in 32.5% Godfrey extra 330 which I already had a working TME just to try it out? After numerous flight tests I had problems with failure to prime or maintain prime, or pump stopping and not restarting seemed like electronic problems. Well after another flight I landed to find my plane with about 6-8oz of smoke oil in the bottom. Nuff said! I called Slimline with the same problems no one there who could answer my questions. Customer service? Thats a JOKE! I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND STAYING AWAY FROM SLIMLINE PRODUCTS!!! P.S. I also heard the Catus Avation system works well. []
Old 12-08-2003, 03:44 PM
My Feedback: (16)

well, I am really glad that I decided to buy the TME system and not the Slimline or Sullivan for my GP Christen Eagle. After reading this thread I had no doubt.
There are some TME on ebay for $65 directl from TME right now. That is where I got mine from. Received it today. Perfect and quick service.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:09 PM

Just a quick note about Slimline Products Showtime smoke pump. When the product was first introduced
we had some problems with the priming. As we learned more, we found that we needed to change the material in the ultrasonic welded pump head. It took some time to get this accomplished. It did however, make the pump prime 100% better. I looked up how many have been returned and it's less than 1% of the total sales. All of the returned pumps have or will be replaced and an upgraded pump head is available for free. As for the customer service issues, we have moved our business after 15 plus years and it's been shall we say, trying, not going as smoothly as I had wished. My sincere apologies to the customers that have been stuck in the middle.
Best Regards
Bill Leonard
Slimline
Old 12-09-2003, 10:21 PM

Thanks Bill for replying to this thread, I have one on backorder from Cheif Aircraft and It makes me feel better about my choice. I personally saw Jeremy McKenna's plane fly with the Showtime and it sold me once he showed me the inside of his plane. Nice modularized design!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:18 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill:
I am having a problem with mine, it always leaves 6 to 8 ozs. of fuel in the tank. Will the new pump head take care of this problem?
I have been stumped with this problem because it makes no sense.
Paul Eagon
Old 12-12-2003, 10:50 PM

skywritter works great on my GP Patty extra
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14272.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	81873