Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New to Gas engine tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Gas engine tuning question

I limit my budget for my RC hobby but wanted to give gasoline a try. Ive purchased several items from Hobby People in the past with no complaints from the products they offer. I decided to try gas by purchasing the Thor 45cc engine sold by Hobby People. I followed all the Mfg instructions with the break-in process. I'm now on my 2nd gallon but have yet to try to fly because I am not able to get the engine to run at over 1/2 throttle without a constant miss-fire.
It idles and transitions to mid thr good. I understand that it still needs some breaking in but shouldnt it run at full throttle even though not yet at its maximum ? Ive tried replacing the spark plug with a champion (its an "R" type plug but I cant think of the # right now) I'm also using a 6v sub-C 1800mah Ni-Cd battery for the ignition. Ive gotten no response from the Hobby People customer support. I read alot here in the universe but seldom post. I couldnt find many gas tuning info similar to what I'm experiencing so I was compelled to post my question.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone can share !
Old 04-11-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: New to Gas engine tuning question

Pity you never thought to ask about it before you jumped in, as that particular engine has been the subject of several not very complimentary comments regarding it's quality and performance or rather lack of it.

Most times when prices seem to good to be true, they are exactly that. You can use the search feature here and see what other users have encountered and their comments.

Just for the record all gas engines ought to be able to start and run (if not perfectly due to factory carb settings) right out of the box.

Karol
Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Have you tried a 4.8 volt battery? Just a guess but some ignitions are only for 4.8 volts, not sure about a thor.

sorry, I just looked at the online manual and it says to use 6 volts.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Are you able to lean the high needle to a max rpm at all?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 PM

Replace your spark plug with a NGK. If that does not fix your problem(it should) then go with a 4.8 NMH. The same thing happened to me with 2 engines and the plug was the issue.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I actually responded with two posts that didnt go thru. I seems there was some issues with RCU.
Anyway it turns out the problem was a loose Ignition battery connection. I was going to try by-passing the switch when I noticed how easily the battery disconnected. I reconnected it and taped the connection. Problem solved. The engine starts up and runs well from idle to full throttle.
Thanks again for the responses.
BTW, I did read the long posts about this engine.There were unfavorable comments but also favorable ones.
This seems to be the case with other engines as well. In fact, I own some glow engines that some will say are
worthless but they have worked well for me. I was well aware of the "budget" nature of this engine when I made the purchase.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:00 AM

I have been running a Thor 45 for over a year now and it runs very well . I am turninng a JXF 20x8 at 7460 RPM with a very good transition never had a flamout yet.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:29 PM

Thats Good to know, Is your engine completely stock, or are you useing a different ignition. Also what is the mah & voltage of the battery you are useing for the ignition?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I've had troubles with mine right out of the box!! I hate it. New ign,batt,carb, switch,sent it in twice,still runs lousy. Won't make rpm. Turns a 20x8 menz 6800 rpm.Idles rough,misses at mid range.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 AM

Jaysbird:

I have the exact same engine that I also purchased from Hobby-People. Because I had read a number of reports on the CRRCPro engine ( I guess they OEM the engine for Global-USA and Ripmax in the UK, check the styrofoam packing and you will see "CRRC" imprinted) I opened mine up before turning it over to inspect. I did find some kind of stuff in the cylinder. It was black and waxxy feeling. Cleaned it out and re-assembled with Marvel Mystery Oil on everything.

I am running a 6.0V / 1200mAh battery, Pro Zinger 20 X 8, fuel 89 octane and Pennzoil 2-cycle for Air Cooled Engines. Primed the engine with about 8 flips, turned on the ignition and it fired off on the 4th flip.

Warmed it up and ran it up to 4500 RPM for about 3 minutes. Then up and down for about 10 more minutes and then full throttle, showed about 6900 RPM which I held for about 10 seconds then down to idle.
No missing at all. Have run about a half gallon thru it and no problems.

Check FlyingGiants.com forum over on RG Group. This forum has a great entry called "Gas Engine Tunning For Newbies" or maybe it is just "Engine Tunning For Newbies" it will answer all your questions.

Best article I have ever seen on the subject.

E T (aka- teeceeveecee)
Milton, WI
Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the reply and the info E T,

My Thor has been running good. I still have the break-in 20X8 wood prop on it but I have a XOAR that I'm going to use when I finally maiden. It turns at about 6800 - 6900 RPM also but I was'nt sure if that is considered to be good. Also there seems to be no increase in RPM from about 3/4 throttle to full throttle but no miss-fire. My guess is Its still too rich. I will read thru the post you suggested.

Thanks again
Old 05-21-2008, 07:19 AM

Having no noticeable increase in rpm from 3/4 to fully open could simply be the throttle curve needing some adjustment.

Karol
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 AM

Tailwheel Pilot:

Hi Guy:

I had the missing at mid range and also at high range. I found my problem to be carb adjustment. You sure have had a gross of problems, don't blame you for having a hate on for the engine.

On mine the carb adjustment was a "journey". It ran ok out of the box but after seeing (and hearing) the performance I knew it had more in it if I could coax it out. Using some info I learned on another forum, I ran the engine up to full RPM, between 6800-6900-RPM with the Pro-Zinger 20 X 8. Adjusted the LOW speed needle to get it out of the momentary 4-cycle it was experiencing then lowered the RPM to a point it started to 4-cycle again, about 4500-RPM; again adjusted the LOW needle to even it out (leaner) and so on until I was back at idle. Then increased to full throttle where it would break in and out of 4-cycle. Adjusted the HIGH needle to even it out and run smooth 2-cycle. It now runs very smoohly through the entire RPM range. I am into the engine about 1.5 gallons and show 7150 RPM at top end and 1825 RPM at bottom. The bottom will go down to about 1550 RPM but I have it set a little higher as a personal preference.

I did change the plug before I started to tune my carb simply because I knew I would not be buying TORCH plugs as future replacements so I figured to start out with what I was going to run. My choice was a Champion RCJ-6Y. Got mine at NAPA store, cheaper than hobby suppliers and old fellas like me (73) need to save where we can.

Oh, one final thing, on the carb adjustments. Turn the needles VERY VERY little at each adjustment. Most folks say "1/8 th of a turn" for each setting try. I found even less was needed in my case, I would say 10 or 12 degrees at a time.

Hope some of this will help you, I must say I am very pleased with the engine. It is not a DA but it didn't cost $600.00 dollars either.

Best,

E T
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello ,i am new to gas ; so i wonder ,can i use silicone fuel lines for glowfuel on my gas engine?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:45 AM
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: nilsreinert123

Hello ,i am new to gas ; so i wonder ,can i use silicone fuel lines for glowfuel on my gas engine?
No, You can not use gas Fuel line with glow or use glow fuel line for gas, Plus you need a gas stopper for you fuel tank.

Milton
Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 AM

Ok ,thanks for fast reply. What is a gas stopper?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 AM
My Feedback: (24)

The round rubber pc that goes in the tank for your fuel line to come out, You have to have one that is made for gas.

Milton
Old 05-26-2008, 08:29 AM

Ok ,i understand , thanks for helping ,now i just have to wait for the engine to arrive
Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: nilsreinert123

You need to use a gas compatable fuel tubing like Tygon or neoprene and a quality stopper like the Du Bro brown coloured gas stopper. When doing the tank plumbing use a felt filtered clunk and retainer barbs on all the brass tubing ends while using small nylon cable ties to hold the tubing in place as it can slip off if not well secured.
Karol
Old 05-29-2009, 08:59 PM

Wow  great stuff here . Ive been flying for over 20 years but just bought my first gas engine. ( The thor 45 ) And thats how I found this website, while looking for info on it . Great site. I love you guys!  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:16 AM

Welcome to the world of gas where no needle tinkering, low cost fuel, no messy goo to wipe up or heavy flight box to lug around is the order of the day .... and yes this is a great site.

Karol
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Mine was running lousy the other day. Needs a well charged 6 volt battery. Mine glitchs the heck out of the radio. Any suggestions