Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Soft mount vs. Hard mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft mount vs. Hard mount

I used a soft mount for my G62 and a friend of mine used a hard mount for the same engine. Why?
Because we each talked to "experts" that claimed that was the way to go.
So what is the scoop guys?
Soft mount even though it appears to bounce around at idle must save the airframe from a pounding.
Hard looks a lot happier while idling but what does this do to the plane?
I also noticed that Slimline includes a disclaimer if a soft mount is used. This would make one think that a hard mount is better.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:24 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Soft mount vs. Hard mount

How long is a piece of string?
there are worthless soft mount setups and worthless hard mounted arrangements.
The disclamier by the muffler guys is because more movement equals more stress on the exhaust flange.
a PROPERLY designed hard mounting and motorbox and airframe - need nothing else -
The highly touted European and US soft mounts are worthless -unless they limit movement to just a bit of rotation.
So - the high speed vibes are about the only thing one can attack with no side effects.
The easiest setup --is a very wide stiff mounting plate solidly attached to the engine -- which has proper vibration isolaters attached at extreme corners--
this will work for some engines -not for others.
I hard mount all my engines except for the old 1.4 four stroke singles - which are long gone now .
I don't have any vibration induced airframe problems.
Sorting out all of the causes for vibes took a while but I found that you start with getting the engine and prop and spinner done correctly - then check the airframe to make sure it does not slop or flex where it could cause problems .