Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

trouble shooting ch ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 02:13 AM
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble shooting ch ignition

I dont know why my engine is not firing up. Im thinking that its my ch ignition. What are ways to check to find out if its the ignition or not?

Thanks,
Santi
Old 05-09-2003, 02:33 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

www.ch-ignitions.com
Go to instructions and go down to troubleshooting.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:36 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Pull the plug...make sure the ground strap is connected to the motor (didn't say which ignition style you have), ground plug to engine turn on switch, roll magnet past the pickup, if the plug fires, it's somewhere else...If it does not it could be a bad pickup...dead battery, bad switch..also if you haven't had the ignition grounded and rolled the magnet past the pickup, it'll kill the pickup...

Hope this helps...
Old 05-09-2003, 02:47 AM
My Feedback: (16)

What engine do you have this ignition on. I just had to send mine back in and they replaced the whole thing. I have a BME 50
Old 05-09-2003, 03:16 PM

Default CH Ignition

You wont believe this, bought a new ignition from Bill Carpenter to use on my T.C.S.A Brison 2.4 (Throttle couple spark advance) with all the linkages etc... Got the ignition and noticed Syncro Spark on the unit along with all the other wording and so forth. Had one heck of a time getting this engine to start and run. Thought must be carb, bad gas, not holding my tongue right anything other than the ignition. Right its one of those deals where it either works or it doesn't. Spark, shock the tar out of you if you hold the lead and turn the unit on. OK.
Finally got the motor to run and to make a long story short no problems crashed the plane due to something other that ignition.
Now I have a 3.2 that needs an ignition, call up Bill, send another one and got one to fix. OK he sends a new unit same thing wont start. Tests ok on the bench wont fire under compression. So I box all this junk up and send it to him and tell him fix it, call me.
The crux of the story is after he looked at the units he asked. me
You have Syncro Spark right .........No Bill I don't I have TCSA.
But the box says Syncro Spark .....I know Bill but I have all the links and the white timing ring that moves. But thats not what you sent back you sent a Syncro Spart box back
BILL I BOUGHT THE DANG THING FROM YOU !!!!! I DON'T HAVE SYNCRO SPARK........
Well you must have had a hard time starting the motor .......
YES !!!! JESUZZ CHRIST ....you mean all this time I had the wrong ignition.
So after that he wants to know how the engine ran with a syncro spark ignition.....Bill I don't care, I need a good unit please fix my ignitions and send me the right ones this time.
At this point I am waiting on him to fix the crashed ignition and bench test the so called good ignition with a TCSA engine. I have a feeling I am not going to be able to make him under stand that the ignition works great on a Syncro Spark equipped motor but on a TCSA engine it will not work.
Go figure....

JDS
Old 05-09-2003, 04:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Got the ignition and noticed Syncro Spark on the unit
JDS, if you saw that before running the engine you should have known better! synchro-spark coupled with TCSA will retard the timing to approx. 25 degrees AFTER TDC at idle, no engine will like this. the ch web site tells you to lock the TCSA timing ring in the advanced position if you upgrade to the synchro-spark.

dave
Old 05-09-2003, 11:22 PM

Default Now he tells me!!!

Dave
And thats my point I did not buy a Syncro Spark unit, I told him I did not want a Syncro Spark unit. Garry Allison at Brison Aircraft tested and timed the motor we both inspected the three ignitions on his test bench my CH, my old AM his AM and they all sparked as advertised. So we both missed that one.

Plus you know how many CH ignitions we went thru when I worked at Brison Aircraft.. I never paid any attention to anything written on the box, brown, black or silver, We hooked them up and off we went. But your right I should not have believed anything Bill told me when I ordered the darn thing after all I spent twenty minutes telling him I did not want Syncro spark in the first place. So.....he's got the units now and he should have this straighten out. Don't get me wrong now.... I like Bill Carpenter I have known him since the IMAA fly Inn in Irving Texas back in 1990. He's a good man, but sometimes things get hazy. Anyway just wanted to throw my two cents in and appreciate the info on the timing, its good to know when things get murky.

Appreciate the info

Johnny