Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine selection for warbird

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine selection for warbird

hi guys,

Im interested in either the CMP Zero 120 http://www.cmpairplane.com/warbird/Z...20%20Size.html
or the CMP F6F-Hellcat http://www.cmpairplane.com/warbird/F...20%20Size.html

Will the SAITO 20cc 4-stroke gas engine pull these planes, im really leaning towards the f6f. The engine manual i saw online says 0.60 - 0.90, but since im after scale flying and fuel economy would it be ok in a 0.90 - 1.20 size the weight is 4.6kg so around 4.9kg with this engine im guessing.

I also have access to a MVVS 26cc. What do you guys recommend, but i would prefer to use a saito.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 AM
My Feedback: (264)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine selection for warbird

There is a huge thread on the hellcat in Warbirds http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...hellcat/tm.htm

Just for comparison, I think the 120 gas will be nearly as powerful as the glow version, but certainly not more.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 AM
My Feedback: (7)

I think both engines you mentioned would be good choices. I flew the CMP F6F for a year with a Super Tigre G2300 glow engine. It was far more power than needed for the plane, but the short nose moment requires some weight to balance, and I chose to use aluminum instead of lead for weight . If I do the F6F again, it will be with one of the 26cc gas engines available. The cowl is spacious and will contain most engines, completely.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Jim, the SAITO 20cc 4c is pritty light but if you add a 1800mah battery for ignition that adds some. Did you have to add weight to the front?

I was thinking about the 26cc mvvs its available at my local store but i thought id wait for his shipment of saito for the 4-stroke gasser, i wanted the scale sound. Besides i think the 26cc 2c will be overkill.

rcdude, thanks i saw that forum and after several pages i didnt find anything usefull.