Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA-50 throtle exponential curve

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA-50 throtle exponential curve

Rcpilot.
What you describe is not being anal but people a) not understanding b) being lazy

You have hit the nail on the head. If your ATV is 25% on the low end and 110% on the high-end, you have automatically put an expo on the throttle curve. And this is the expo that you DON'T want.

First make sure that the butterfly can operate completely without binding. You can still put an expo after that if you want.

Happy flying season everyone

ORIGINAL: Rcpilot

Agree with getting it right mechanically before using the radio. But we're all ASSuming he has it fouled up right now. Haven't seen a pic of his setup yet.

I try for linear stick to butterfly movement. Meaning if my high endpoint is 90%, I will adjust the linkage until my low is also 90%. I want the same throw on the top half of the stick as on the bottom half. In a perfect setup, it would have 100% throw in both directions. But that doesn't always work out. Seomtimes 100% throw is too much movement. So that's when I pull the servo horn off and move it a spline or two. Then adjust the length of my pushrod. I'll settle for 90% high and 90% low. You suffer some resolution, but at least it's linear.

It's a shame really. Computer radios make some of us lazy. Some guys have no idea how to really set up a linkage with best mechanical travel and actuation. They just dial in 25% on the low and 150% on the high. Then they wonder why all the throttle response is from 1/2 stick and below, but not much throttle change above 1/2 stick. [] It all comes back to basic modeling skills and experience. Two things that have gone by the wayside in recent years.

Call me anal........ I'll spend 2hrs futzing with a throttle linkage to make sure it's set up mechanically as good as I can get it before I even consider adjusting the radio endpoints.