Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

paging dick Hanson.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 08:25 PM
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paging dick Hanson.

I'm going to try a ZDZ 60 on one of the 80" H9 Cap ARFs. What have your experiences been with this engine on a pitts-style muffler as compared with the tuned cans you seem to prefer?

I'm wondering if its performance suffers in the same way as does the ZDZ 50 on a non-tuned exhaust.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:34 AM
My Feedback: (1)

dear visioneer, i have a zdz 60 on a lanier 80 cap. to say the least this combo is insane. you torq roll about 4 clicks above idle with a mezlik 24-10. when you hit the throttle out of the hover the plane breaks the sound barrier its going so fast.lol the engine is pretty quiet in the air using a wrap around muffler (i believe it was a peacekeeper) and the sound db's using imac standards hovered between 92-94 dbs consistently. hope this helps. toby....
Old 06-19-2003, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (99)

i have a zdz 60 with a bisson wrap around in my 1/4 patty and there is no lack of power in this baby . but i'am sure you will get more power with a tuned system. hope you don'y mind me butting in.

just my 2 ct's

dennis
Old 06-19-2003, 11:41 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 50 and the 60 are two different cats -
the 60 is about a lb heavier -as you know but to answer your question about exhaust setups:
This engine has different timing than the 50 and will perform well on in cowl mufflers.
my favorite muffler for it tho is the 60 JMB can quite small but very quiet uses only about a 4" header!
as such it turns MenzS prop 24x10 easily over 6000 -typically 6100-6200
this engine is often overlooked in the mad dash for fifties -but the price is about the same and it has a lot more torque than any fifty .
Youwill probably hear some huffing and puffing about how strong the various new fifties are -
They are good but so far -I have seen none which will swing the 24x10 props like this little sixty.
Why does th ZDZ50 not like in cowl mufflers?
Simply put -it was designed to really do it's best on large tuned systems popular in Europe.
My 50 ran great -right out of the box -because I was not using restrictive systems.
The sixty has a much lower exhaust timing -- but still has lots of window area - as such it does not respond as much as the 50 does on tuned pipes -- but it is far more tolerant of small mufflers.
On the 80" Cap - we just flew one with the ZDZ50 that required 14 oz of NOSE ballast to get balance to a 25% MAC- which is where the Caps perform best--- for precision IMAC style aerobatics.
This is further forward than the mfgrs CG notatation. So be it .
-So my thoughts are that the 60 will be a good choice -in that the ballast is needed -one way or the other .
BTW, this model also had all servos up front.
Some guys like aft cg setups for 3d stuff .
Caps tumble very well with that setup but snap recovery is not good.
The 50 powered Cap on a 20x10 and Bisson Pitts muffler is fully aerobatic but still is hauling around a lot of ballast.
It is a very good combo .
with the 60 on 24x8 or 10" prop it would really be a hoot!.
I am doing a 35% Extra right now with a ZDZ160 Champion - on small prototype incowl mufflers - the power is still good (6000 on 30x10 ) and by doing some selective weight juggling - I expect to be right where the 100 powered versions are, weightwise.
Lots of power does not hurt--as long as you know when to use it.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:27 PM
My Feedback: (506)

I thought I remembered reading that the Cap required a fair amount of nose weight in order to balance with the lighter engines. I'd rather use more motor than haul around dead weight - especially when it comes to aerobats.

Thanks for the info, guys!