Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Spectators, how to get them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectators, how to get them?

For your pylon races, do you care much about having spectators?

And, if so, how do you get them to come out, especially to the the first or to early races, especially if your flying site is off the beaten path and invisible to the general public?

Thanks!
Jim
Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM

Default RE: Spectators, how to get them?

Jim

I have an opinion on this topic, in fact I think most races would be boring to watch for the average spectator, in fact at many races the racers don't even watch. In order to make a race interesting the spectator needs to have some association with the racers, and be able to identify planes in a race. I think the only way to do this is some level of commentary before the start of the race, and perhaps during the race to help identify planes, change in position and the like.

KM
Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM

not a bad idea but we have enough problems getting a full contingent odf helpers most times trevor h
Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
My Feedback: (8)

This is an interesting topic and one I am wrestling with myself. We have had a few races and by word of mouth only, have had several people show up to watch. But, KM has a good point. For the most part the spectators are more than likely a fair distance away from the flightline and the pilots, (hopefully in the interest of safety that is the case anyway). This causes what I feel is a lack of interaction between spectator and "race guy" in that they aren't really able to get a feel for what the pilot is doing pre and post race and what it takes to get a plane readied and keep it flying during an event. It can be true that to Joe Average racing in general is kinda boring.

So what can be done? Not real sure myself. I am going to try a couple of different things though, the first one being to put small posters or flyers up where I can in the area to announce the race, keeping it simple to hopefully pique the interest of the general public. The intent is to use the word "race" as much as possible as everyone knows the meaning of that particular word, (basically something is chasing something else around something and it is a competition). Along with that, I may try to have at least one or two longer breaks in between rounds and allow spectators to come and see what the planes are all about and maybe even have someone there who would be willing to bring a big 3-D monster and do a demonstration flight in between rounds.

Other than trying to get a few carnival rides or convince Miss January to show up in all her glory, it's hard to say what to do......
Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While we got rained out this past weekend the CD had an arrangement with the local high school cheerleader squad to be course workers. I thought that was a brilliant idea to get racers and spectators alike.
Some of the registration fee would go to the squad for their efforts. I think watching airplanes would be alot easier than washing trucks on saturday morning.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Vic,

Now THAT is a great idea....
Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 PM

We are not on the top of the list of things people want to see on thier time off.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Buddy - are you going to race in Texas City on May 3 and May 4? You can duke it out with your old pal, Neon. Kick some major butt for us...

Jason and I have a scheduling conflict and can't make it.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM

Our particular Blue Ray Electric Pylon racing is somewhat different in that with (1) our much slower, evenly-matched planes, (2) short 2-pylons (currently 200 feet apart for the first 2S race) course, and (3) just 3 race officials required, that we have an entirely different pylon race dynamic -- that should proceed thru the heats pretty fast and be interesting to the spectators. We'll see in a month on May 10!

I'm estimating between 5 minimum and 17 maximum participants (nearly all of them with specific names!) at our very first race. Yes, that's a big spread to plan for. But the low end of racer participation could be embarrasing if we have a lot of spectators come out.

I'm personally focusing now more on getting ready for the racing rather than worrying too much about spectators beyond what promotion has already been done (with no known response so far). Nobody else has gotten too excited about promoting spectators (like just taking my preprinted color flyers and posting them at their work, etc.), so why ought I? Even a lot of the potential racers seem to be taking a Wait And See! attitude. Some have voiced doubt they could race these tiny planes. And there's no buzz yet. Since I'm new in this club, I don't know if there will be any buzz.

I'm hoping to get some good stills and videos of the first race and to use those to promote the second race, our Firecracker 4-minute, on July 28. There's enough time between these two races to build a racer and to be ready to race at the next event. Of course there's no preparation needed for being a spectator besides marking your calendar and packing your lawn chairs, hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen.

Thanks for your suggestions and sharing on spectators.
Jim
Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 AM

Quick update: We pretty much gave up on trying to get spectators for our pylon races.

Jim
Old 05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea,

45 spectators and 10 racers.

I like it when you get more racers than spectators. Like 70 registered racers and 50 spectators. Take 5 racers out of that 70 (Why? cause theyre racing- duh.....), and then add the 65 left over racers to the 50 spectators and you get 65 racers and 115 spectators with out loosing racers.

Dont ask me where I went to school.
[8D]
But I hope you see whats important. Make the racing friendly to the racers first. They will tell their friends and you get more racers,and soon enough the crowds (starts with families of racers) will form and grow as well.
Get a bunch of "Happy" racers and people will be attracted that.
Ever been to a race with unhappy racers- its ugly and the spectators too often end up seeing the ugly.
Get a bunch of guys hootin and hollerin and having a great time and watch what happens.