Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 3W 106 vs DA100 vs BME 110x >

3W 106 vs DA100 vs BME 110x

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

3W 106 vs DA100 vs BME 110x

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 03:27 PM
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 3W 106 vs DA100 vs BME 110x

Which of these would be the best engine for 33-35% airplanes?

Whos used them?

I know the DA is most popular but would like to ear about the BME and 3W

Thanks
David
Old 03-05-2004, 03:42 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 3W 106 vs DA100 vs BME 110x

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Personal preference.

The best way to decide IMO, is to hit some local events and fields, see what others are using, flying, working on...ect. Thats what I did.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:07 PM
My Feedback: (309)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,
I see you live in Colorado Springs.
I'm in Fort Collins.
We are both flying at high altitude. I would think weight is very important to you (it is to me).
The BME 110 is 2 lbs lighter than the DA 100. I think 3W is a little heavier than the DA.
I would think that the weight would be a big part of your decision.

I've run both DA's and 3W's, both run good. I have more experience with the DA's and have never had a problem with DA. I have had some minor problems with 3W and have less experience with them. I now own 2 BME 110's, but have not run them yet (I will run them soon). I just decided to try the BME 110 since I moved to Colorado recently, and since the recent release of the BME 110. I have heard good things about the way the BME 110 runs.

It seems like all 3 companies have good customer service. Some people claim that they can't get BME on the phone, but I don't have any problem doing so.

The BME 110's are a little hard to find right now, but they are out there. If you look around and ask around, you can probably find one for sale.

If your plane can balance out properly with the BME 110 and if you can find one to buy when you need it, that would be my first recommendation to you. You would save 2 lbs in weight and have more power.
My 2nd choice would be the DA 100. The DA's are a great running engine. They aren't popular without a reason.

Another consideration would be the ZDZ 80, depending on which plane you're talking about putting it on. I have no experience with this engine, but have heard a lot of great comments about it. It weighs about the same as a BME 110.

Hope that helps.

Jim
Old 03-05-2004, 04:47 PM
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the tips, and yes, all the third scales at my field are the H9's with ZDZ 80's. But i am looking to go a little bigger such as the aero-works and wild-hares, so i do not have a plane yet.

Most of the bigger third scales (wierd huh?) seem to be running on the da100's.

I have had a BME 50 and it was a great engine, but the other one i am looking at is the new 3W106cc. David
Old 03-05-2004, 05:10 PM
My Feedback: (309)

I don't want to start another "engine fued" here, but there are some people that have had problems with the 3W-106.
I didn't pay much attention to it and don't remember what the problem was, but do a search on 3W-106 and see what you can find.

I'm only trying to be helpful and give you information to help you make your choice. You can buy whatever you want.

Do a search on the other engines also, there's a lot of info on this site.

Jim
Old 03-06-2004, 12:40 PM
My Feedback: (22)

We have several 106's at our field and they run great. the weight is the same and more power than the two DA 100's at my field. Just strap a 3w 28x10 prop on the front and you will see the difference. My buddy with the DA 100 will not run that prop becuase it loads his engine to much. From my experience, the 3W's take longer to break in, the needles will need to be adjusted every couple gallons as it loosens up. After about 10 gallons you are going to have a very strong motor that can spin some big wide props with quick throttle respone. Minor issues with both motors. My 106 had the timing set wrong from the factory and my buddies developed an air leak, minor problems. My other buddy has had 2 ignitions go out on him on his DA, another minor problem. The DA seem to run better out of the box, but if you are patient and give the 106 a little run time, you will see the difference. I have not seen the 110 but from the little info out it seems to be a good engine. JMHO!!!![:-]