Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 Engine reccomendations for arf's, and kit's >

Engine reccomendations for arf's, and kit's

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Engine reccomendations for arf's, and kit's

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:35 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine reccomendations for arf's, and kit's

I, and most of us here, want to know the performance of engine-plane combo's. IE; how doe's your Giant Mustang fly with a U.S. 41cc engine? Most company's list a engine size on the arf with a range in engine size. Why don't they make a list of specific engine's, and what performance you will get. I know this would be time consuming, but I think it would pay off. I also know servo's, fuel tank size, ect. will effect this, but I would like to see something better. I read the product review's here, and that helps. I would say 30% of the engines for sale here, were bought for a plane, and they were not happy with the performance. I would like to see at least 3 example's of plane-engine combos listed, with performance ratings in the add for the plane. There is also the problem if it will fit, and what has to be done to get it right.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:28 AM
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine reccomendations for arf's, and kit's

rameleni1,

You have valid questions, to be sure. In fact, I think it would be safe to say that most of us in the rc community have gone through, and contunue to go through, what you are experiencing now. Most of your questions can only be answered with experience. Sorry. I don't mean that as a slight but, rather, fact.

There have been many times that I have wished a manufacturer would have included more specific information with his product. In fairness to the manufacturer, he would have to guess each and every question that could be posed by a variety of people of varying experience. Nothing I would be willing or able to do.

What usually happens is that each builder / flyer develops methods of construction, techniques and materials that he favors. It is not uncommon to hear of someone deviating from contruction plans or designs to substitute his own preferences. Such is part of the beauty of this hobby that we can personalize something that was originally made "cookie cutter" stye. Add to that the "brand preference" that we all have..............the old Ford, Chevy, Chrysler thing. (My age is showing!) But, enough of that.

As for engine selecton for your new plane, ask yourself how it will eventually be flown. If you live close to sea level, will have few, if any, optional features and will cover the plane with MonoKote, then you can get by with a small engine. But, if you were to fly at, say, three-thousand feet ASL with a plane equiped with flaps, retracts and many scale protrubances hanging in the airstream and that plane has been glassed and painted, well, you need more power..........it weighs more and has more drag.

I do not have personal experience with a US 41cc engine in a TF GS Mustang. However, I have read and heard that this engine provides minimal performance in this airframe. My personal thoughts are that the use of an engine of this type (with the carb hanging out one side of the cylinder and the muffler out the other) is that the cowl has too many non-scale things sticking out in the breeze detracting from the Mustang's pleasing lines. But, that's just my opinion. An alternative would be to look at an engine with more power and a carb that won't stick out the side of the cowl. Both Desert Aircraft and ZDZ offer a 50cc engine with a rear mounted carb that develop around 5 horsepower...........plenty to power the GS Mustang. And no ugly things flapping in the wind!

The bottom line here, Bud, is to research your projects before buying and pick your components wisely. You buy "quality" once but you buy "cheap" many times. This forum is perfect for this. Just as you did here, post a question and you'll get replies from people who have been where you want to be. I wish they had this site years ago!

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25922.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	170391