Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
DP Extra Motor/Propeller Suggestions >

DP Extra Motor/Propeller Suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DP Extra Motor/Propeller Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DP Extra Motor/Propeller Suggestions

Hello all,
I will be building one of the third series DP Extra when they arrive.
I have always flown glo, but it seems that gas is really popular in this model.
I want 3D power! I realize everbody has their favorite motor.
I am looking for displacment suggestions and the appropriate propellors sizes to use and a good supplier. I want as light a motor as possible to keep the wing loading down.
Thanks for your help.
Bob
Old 10-08-2002, 03:10 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default DP Extra

I have one flying with a ZDZ40. I have used 20x8, 20x10, and 22x8. All props worked OK. For the money and performance the ZDZ is my choice. Tom
Old 10-08-2002, 04:02 PM

I have one with a ZDZ40 as well. I run a cut down menz 22x8 (now 21x8) and a Bambula 20x10. Verticle with the 20x10 is outstanding. Throttle management with the ZDZ is a must. The engine is very light, very powerful, and I can fly all day for a buck.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:45 AM
My Feedback: (32)

I have mine with a taurus 2.6 really powerfull can hover at 1/3 throttle and pull straight up with authority at 3/4 to full throttle. turning a Zinger pro at 7200 rpm's very smooth Great engines.

Santi
Old 10-09-2002, 03:48 AM

Well, mines got a Moki 2.10. Check it out.

www.3dbatix.com
Old 10-09-2002, 11:30 AM
LVS
My Feedback: (6)

santi,
What prop is your 2.6 turning 7200 rpm with? thanks.
lvs
Old 10-10-2002, 04:03 AM

LVS

turning a Zinger pro 22X8

Santi
Old 10-11-2002, 01:45 AM

I've got a Taurus 2.6 with a Mezjlik 22X8. Hovers at 1/3 throttle and climbs like a bandit. Even tho you can do quite a few 3D maneuvers with this airplane, it is a lot tougher than with a 1.3 scale model. Don't be dissapointed that you can't fly like you are ready for the TOC!
Old 10-11-2002, 10:45 AM

Default Taurus/dp Extra

Originally posted by brittain
I've got a Taurus 2.6 with a Mezjlik 22X8. Hovers at 1/3 throttle and climbs like a bandit. Even tho you can do quite a few 3D maneuvers with this airplane, it is a lot tougher than with a 1.3 scale model. Don't be dissapointed that you can't fly like you are ready for the TOC!
I understand, Can you tell me your flying weight, did you consider a big glow motor, what mods did you have to make to the airframe. What exhaust did you use and does it exit the cowl without additional holes? It would really help if i could get the answers to these question so I can make an educated decision!
Thanks for your help.
Bob
Old 10-11-2002, 02:21 PM
My Feedback: (25)

I have a 3W50i in mine. I had a FPE 2.4 in it at first but the engine lacked the power to make the plane perform.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:30 PM

Default Answers Please!!!

Com on guys how about answering the questions I posted? I know everybody has a favorite.
Thanks, Bob
Old 10-12-2002, 01:30 AM

Bob,
On the Taurus 2.6 I'm using the Pitts style muffler that i bought with the engine. I also used the stock Back plate. I had to cut the fire wall about 3/8 inch back so the spinner would be pretty flush with the cowl. I'm using a 22X8 Zinger Pro prop spinning at 7100-7200 rpm's. I cut the cowl enough the slip the cowl on and off so that its the shape of a U about 1/2 inch in depth, and mounted the engine upside down. The hole size for fins on that is about a 3X4 hole including the spark plug wire . Now about the flying weight. My pane weighs about 16 lbs. Due to the fact that i added the inst. panel from hangar 9. Plus the floor board and the back rest that i added with 1/16 balsa with a cross brace for stiffness. No pilot. I also sheeted the bottom of the ailerons. mine were pretty flexible. now that made it so much stronger. I then replaced the the stock gears as they bend too easy. I used the Troy built carbon fiber gears. Saved a little bit of weight there. No sign of flutter at all Going on its 10th flight. Hope that answered all of your questions.

Good luck
Santi
Old 10-12-2002, 08:18 PM

Default Answers

Thanks for the information Santi, The details you have provided will be very helpful.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-18-2002, 02:39 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bob:
Please do consider the Taurus. Either 2.6 or 3.2. 3.2 is only a couple extra ounces heavier but is the same case and mounting plate. I used both on a ARC and like the 3.2 better. Used stock pitts muffler made for the engine. I did not move the firewall back and do not think the 3/8" between cowl and spinner lots that bad compared to the amount of work to move cowl back. Cut out on bottom of cowl is normal for any gasser. Love the Taurus. Bill at Taurus is excellent and always there to answer questions and flies what he sells. Good luck getting any info or warranty work from RC Showcase. Purchased 2 RCS 140's and both had bad hall sensors. Been months and still waiting for one of the engines that they did not even think they received. Had to show them signed mail receipt.
Paul Eagon