Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Storing your Giant Scale Plane >

Storing your Giant Scale Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Storing your Giant Scale Plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing your Giant Scale Plane

Getting my first GS plane (33% Edge) in a week and don't have room to store it horizontally. Is there any problem with storing your GS plane vertically on a wall, like in the garage? Wasn't sure if it would create any problems with a gas motor (DA-100). What is the preferred orientation, nose up or nose down??? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:10 PM
My Feedback: (25)

I keep my 42% Giles and soon to be 40% Edge in the garage. I built a 4X10' shelf and suspended it from the rafters on one side and attached it to the wall on the other side. I made it high enought to fit the hood of my Explorer under it. Seems to work well, except the shelf seems to attract a lot of other stuff than R/C aiplanes!!
Old 01-03-2003, 07:39 AM

Thanks Fly4Fun2, I don't have that much room in my garage for a 4 x 10 shelf but it sounds like a smart solution. I'm hoping other pilots out there will provide some GREAT ideas but pickins are slim so far. Take Care
Old 01-03-2003, 01:57 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Are there any issues with hanging it from the tail feathers vertically? This would help me, but I am not sure if there are any negatives to this method. Hope others will chime in.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Vertical storage

I have always stored my aircraft vertically, this includes many giant scale aircraft over several years, I have never had a problem. I store mine with the nose up though. I make my axles just a little longer than required and have holders ( peg board type ) that fit inbetween the wheel pants and gear and support it that way. I think one could fashion the same thing out of steel flat stock and have even a smaller space between the gear and pants. I prefer nose up storage for a couple of reasons. The first is that the clunk lines are always hanging toward the back of the tanks and don't want to take a set that could cause a fuel draw problem later on. Next is that the residual fuel in the tank isn't always on the stopper tempting it to break down or leak. Last but not least is if you hang them by the tails over time the wood on the leading edge of the tail may dent under the weight of the plane, a proper fixture would virtually eliminate this potential though. I am getting ready to move my 33% GP Extra from work bench to wall and am wondering what to do, I just barely have enough room from ceiling to floor!.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Storage

Vertical storage is ok, but why not just hang it in flying attitude (room permitting) from the rafters via large tie down straps.

Picture attached:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45076_188.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	27774  
Old 01-04-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Sweeeeeeeet!

PT21Flyer,

What is that and where can I get one?

Looks beautiful!

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ladd
Old 01-04-2003, 08:54 PM

Default Islander

Mooney231DX,

It's a Britten-Norman Islander. I've been flying it seven years now (149 flights). It has a 114" span, weighs 31 lbs., and is powered by two G-23's. I have plans for it on CD if you are interested. Will post another picture of it with me in the picture for better size comparison.

Jerry

Name:	45084_188.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	27775  
Old 01-04-2003, 09:08 PM

PT21Flyer,

Thanks for the response.

Can you give me some details?

Did you design it, how much for the Plans, does it have retracts, flaps, etc. I have not built from plans (scratch) before but have several kits under my belt (including a 1/4 scale) and feel like a pretty good builder. (Don't most of us! ) Hard to build this one from plans?

Feel free to email me directly if you wish:
ladd_usher@SPAMyahoo.com (Remove the word SPAM!)

Thank you very much!

Ladd
Old 01-05-2003, 11:42 AM

Default sacrifices, sacrifices....

we no longer park in the garage there are too many airplanes in there!

seriously though, one thing I have done to get extra storage in the garage (so I can park more planes) is to hang them upside-down from the ceiling. IF you have the ceiling room that is. Ive run in a couple of heavy duty hooks into the studs and then loop around the wing tube with a couple of ropes and same with the tail wheel you can adjust the lenght of the ropes to get the wheels almost to touch and viola, upside down plane from the ceiling! just watch your head on the rudder

Ive hung my 35%s this way with no problem, as well as most of our smaller funfly stuff. with those just loop around the wheels and a small eyehook in the ceiling

cheers

Hubb
Old 01-05-2003, 02:58 PM

I got so excited by PT21Flyer's twin I forgot to reply about storage!

I made use of the "dead" space above my garage doors. (When they are open. )

Simple PVC Construction with a few pulleys and some rope!

Ladd
Old 01-05-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Ooops!

Forgot Picture!

Ladd

Name:	45262_3895.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	27776