Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Spring Air Retract binding?!?! >

Spring Air Retract binding?!?!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Spring Air Retract binding?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 11:45 PM
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring Air Retract binding?!?!

Please help, as I'm new to the whole retract scene. I have a pair of Spring Air retracts that worked fine about 2 weeks ago, but now seem to have a problem with them. The return seems to be very tough. When I put them in the wing of my to be completed P-51, the retract won't come back down to positive lock. Actually, it won't come down without assistance. I have a wheel on there for added weight. I sprayed it with a Teflon lubricant, but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Can/should I take it apart and do something with the spring. No way I'm going to install those if they won't come down and lock! This is a Model Tech P-51 (.60) with a Saito 100, all NIB!!!

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2003, 02:01 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kevlar I have 3 sets of Spring air,once I did have a similar problem. The air valve was my problem and not the retract its self. Disconnect the air line and oush the piston back manually and see if they pop down. If they work now the air valve may not be letting the pressure out. Hope this helps ==Kent
Old 05-17-2003, 08:45 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you also want to make sure that when you mount the gear that they are not twisting when you bolt them down binding the cam mechanisim. Loosen the bolts while still operating them in the plane. If air line is not restricting the air to and from the cylinder then binding in this area is a good place to check next.