Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
 Don Smith KI 61 "Tony" Engine Question >

Don Smith KI 61 "Tony" Engine Question

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Don Smith KI 61 "Tony" Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don Smith KI 61 "Tony" Engine Question

Has anybody on the forum ever built a Japanese KI 61 "Tony" from Don Palmer plans? If so, was it the 86 or 100 inch wingspan version? I have a Zenoah G45 in my workshop cabinet and I was wondering if it would be good choice for either version of this plane? Also, does anyone know how much this plane weighs after completion, either version? Let me know your thoughts?

Cyclops
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Don Smith KI 61

Cyclops,
I have the 86" Don Smith Tony. Mine is powered with a Super Tigre 2500 and this seems a very good power match. I have seen the model flown with an OS 1.08, it seemed a little under powered. I have also seen one with an OS 1.60, more like a sky rocket than a WWII fighter! The plans actually show the ST 2500. I recall that mine weighs about 17#. Don't know anything about the 100" version. The model is an excellent flier. In flight photo was maiden and cowl was removed to adjust needle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93335.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1276405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17589.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1276406  
Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R8893
Your Tony is absolutely beautiful. It makes me want to sell my G45 and buy a OS 160 and build it. My problem is that I have this G45 and it needs a home. From what little research I have done it appears it will not fit in the nose of the Tony. I would not want to hack away half of the cowl to make it fit either. Not sure what I'm going to do with G45. Might build the D. Platt T28 and place it in that. Anyway, I really wanted to build a gasser but after seeing your Tony I just might change my mind and go glow. Did you have to add any lead in the nose to get it to balance? Also, how long did the build take?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep there is lead in the nose; I don't remember how much. I normally don't keep track of the time to build a model, but more than a year slipped by on the calendar. I did a build thread on www.rcscalebuilder.com under the Don Smith section. I am "partners" with two other guys in a Balsa USA Morane Saulnier A-1. We used a G-45 in that model and it works very well. I'm planning to fly the Tony in it's first contest this weekend in New Albany, IN.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi- as far as fitting the 45 engine... build the Ki-100! You'll have to make a radial cowl and alter the turtle back but you'll have a unique airplane which won't take any more time to build than the -61. Good luck!