Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

17% and 18% oil, is 1% a big deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 AM

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts
Default RE: 17% and 18% oil, is 1% a big deal

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Quick, I have used WildCat fuel in the 16% lube, (Premium) and 18%, (Premium Extra) and 18% all synthetic in both 10% and 15% blends and see no long term or short term effects at all. I have used Fox 5% fuel with 20% castor and with 20% 50/50 syn castor blend and again saw no differnece. The WildCat was only used in fourstrokes and the Fox only used in two strokes. I currently have some WildCat 5% with 18% 80/20 syn/castor blend and 3 oz of Benol added and it works well in two strokes also except for my 3000 and 4500 SuperTigre.

PS, thanks for getting us back on track and I apologise for letting myself get pulled off the track.
I am sure many have used various fuels with no adverse effects but I am one who would rather be safe than sorry and run what's recommended or step it up a tad. That's just me. You have to run what you're comfortable with.

Just tryin to keep the peace. I lurk in many of these engine forums even though I don't have or have used any of these engines. I am always trying to learn something new, but the off-topic rants make it hard to learn. You guys are very knowledgeable and I have learned so much from you. Let's keep it real and take the nitpicks to PMs or something please.

Happy R/Cing folks.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Quick, I am not running an ad for WildCat it just happens to be what I have used since 1990. I ran 6 gallons of Power Master two years ago and was impressed with it also. So far though I've not had any issues with bearings or cams failing early but I am zealous when it comes to using Corrosion X as an after run oil after a day at the field or getting rpm numbers for an engine prop cimbination.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:15 AM

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Quick, I am not running an ad for WildCat it just happens to be what I have used since 1990. I ran 6 gallons of Power Master two years ago and was impressed with it also. So far though I've not had any issues with bearings or cams failing early but I am zealous when it comes to using Corrosion X as an after run oil after a day at the field or getting rpm numbers for an engine prop cimbination.
I never said you were running an ad or anything. That's why I said you ran what you were comfortable with. All I am saying is if the MFG says use 20% oil, I'll use 20% oil. Now that I've decided to do away with the synthetics, I probably don't need the "extra" added in.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:14 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run the brand that is pretty good and easy to obtain.

I buy my fuel at the Toledo show every year. I used to use Rich's Brew which is usually there but in the last 5 yrs I have used Wild Cat.

I lived in another state for 3 yrs and used Omega while there
Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys, I added a little super techniplate to the fuel. I brought it up to 18% oil. On a side not though, I have bad news. I was flying the venus down in Jersey (I'm from CT) and I crashed the Venus II. Mostly costmetic demage, tore off an ailron and thats about it. He is one thing I noticed though, and it leads to bearing and fuel. I put in economy bearings last year I would say and I they started already showing signes of wear, and movement from the bearing on the prop as well as a grindy sound. When I put the new bearing in this was right around the time that I started using the 20/20. Now this could be coinsidence, but I am not sure, but the engine dead sticked on me and caused me to go in the woods. On another note, the only thing different I had to do was lean out the the high speed a little bit and thats all I had to do. The crash was my fault though on several reasons, like trying to turn back around after the dead stick instead of just landing strait in front of me. When I took out the bearings though the next day they were gritty and and not very free moving, even the front bearing was not as free moving. So I put in some high performace High speed bearings. I am going to run up the engine as well. One more thing. I noticed after the crash my tank of completely empty. Now, I have a timer on my radio, and the first flight was fine, timer went off, I landed no problem. Second flight, the time didn't even go off, I wasn't even up in the air that long, but that tank was oompletely dry. What do you think? I know its a lot to take in but it seemed odd that the first flight was fine and then the second flight ended in a dead stick, no fuel in the tank, and in less time then before.