Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 Have Enya engines fallen out of favor >

Have Enya engines fallen out of favor

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Have Enya engines fallen out of favor

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 11:05 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Have Enya engines fallen out of favor

MRC and Altech have been one in the same since Ive been in the hobby (20+ years). My 1st Enya came in an MRC box. I do think if Horizon or some other large co. marketed them, they would be a lot more popular. It seems like it's too late now with the Chinese engines seeming to be the wave of the future, though Saito and OS are still going strong. Who knows??
Old 12-11-2003, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Apex Hobbies in Tazewell, Va. PH 276-988-9005 always has a few Enyas in stock and does not have any trouble getting them from Altech.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 PM

Getting them may not be that much of a problem. But what about parts? I have heard it can be a nightmare getting parts or warranty work done in a timely manner from MRC. Is this true?

Patriot
Old 12-12-2003, 08:48 AM

Patriot, In my case this is not true, I broke a rocker arm on my .46 MKII fourstroke, "ham fisted farm boy syndrome" and had the new one plus a muffler for one of my two strokes here in three or four days.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:06 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Getting them may not be that much of a problem. But what about parts? I have heard it can be a nightmare getting parts or warranty work done in a timely manner from MRC. Is this true?

Patriot
I got parts returned within 2 weeks. They are good about warranty repais as far as I can tell.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:54 AM

This good to hear. It helps dispell some of the myths and urban legends about MRC. So, we have to ask as we have been, "Why does it seem Enya doesn't much of the market like it used to?"
Everyone knows about Enya, so why don't we prefer them?
1. Well, as stated a number of reasons. One being weight. The 155r for example weighs the same as a Saito 180, So for power to weight, which would the average model builder prefer? Longevity aside, the Saito of course.
2. Also, the number of models they offer. I know for a fact, if they could reduce their weigh buy just an ounce or two on the larger engines to get closer to Saito brand, and start producing a larger line of twins like a 310 flat twin, or even a 1.06 flat twin (two 0.53's) to compete with the Saito line, they would do much better.
They used to produce the 240 V-twin, which I have heard from everyone who has had one, that they are incredible engines. So, why are they no longer available? I truly believe you don't have to have a million imported and in stock to warrant selling them. As long as they can be gotten, like Proctor imports Laser for example, then people will buy them on ocassion to at least warrant their existance and availability.

Patriot
Old 10-11-2004, 11:19 AM

Wow. Looks like this is the right forum to ask an ENYA question. I am currently having trouble with an older ENYA .35 which was given me by a friend. Its in excellent condition and hand starts just fine, but man does it run hot! This particular model has the muffler with the strap which runs around the engine head. Anyway, I'm trying to tune it as I would my other engines which are all OS LA .25's through 46's. I'm using the same glow plug and fuel as I do in the OS's, but when I let this engine run, not even at full throttle (about mid range) for a few minutes, if you drop water on the engine head it will literaly sizzle off. Do you all have any tuning suggestions which may help me get this guy running right? For starters I'm going to start the motor way rich and slowly start to lean it out and hopefully find a good "zone". Any pointers from the Enya pro's would be much appreciated. TIA!
Old 10-11-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Enya 35 uses a cast iron piston and must not ever ever EVER be run with normal RC fuels. I'll take a guess yours is a model 5224 (I've got one and I just looked, my memory isn't THAT good ). Use a fuel with at least 25% oil, either all castor or with a small amount of synthetic, but preferably all castor. I once accidentally ran an old OS Max III (cast iron piston) on 20% all castor and it did the same as yours, it got so hot I thought the head was going to melt (well, almost). Changing to 25% all castor brought the temp down to normal. There are a couple of companies that make a fuel suitable for it. Powermaster has their GMA in various blends but I'd only use either the 25 or 29% as seen here...
http://www.powermasterfuels.com/products/GMA.html

Sorry if I'm harping on about fuel but that's where your trouble is. These engines have a fantastic reputation for virtually never wearing out if you've got the right oil. Originally they came with 2 cylinder heads, a high compression at 9:1 and a low at 7.5:1 and also were either plain bushed or ball raced but the plain bushed was much more common. Don't use an electric starter on the plain bushed one either, it doesn't have the steel thrust shim.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:20 PM

To answer the original question, Enya Engines have not fallen out of favor at my house, I just got a 1.55 about a week ago. I suspect an Enya 1.80 will be next as I have examined it at Toledo at least twice.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:11 AM

Criminy!! Well, First off, thanks for the quick reply and helpfull info! You guys are great!.....but.....that sucks. I wasn't aware of the fact that this little guy needs special fuel. Too bad cause it runs great and starts with one flick every time, has great power and compression too. Unfortunately, I'm not into engines with "special needs". I like keeping things simple and having all my stuff run off of the same fuel/ need the same plugs etc. It just makes life simpler for me, less to putz with. And doctoring fuel aint in my list of things to do. So, looks like I'll be buying an OS 25 or the like here shortly. In the meantime, any of you ENYA afficianados interested in a nice .35 for around $20.00? Give me shout cause its gotta go! Thanks Again!!

Either respond to this message or email me at [email protected] if you're interested in the engine.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:24 AM

Wow, I guess you would not like my setup, I have 5% nitro fuel with 20% lube for all my two strokes, 10 and 15% nitro fuel for fourstrokes, 20/20 for YS's, Davis ABC Diesel fuel for ball bearing Diesel engines and Davis Plane Diesel fuel for bushing and PAW Diesels, gas and oil mix for my Zenoah, Maloney and Merco gas engines, it's still simple.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:34 AM

Geesh, I guess with this, as with many other things, simple is a relative term. Thats an impressive array of engines and fuels. One day I will invest in a four stroke and have to get some different fuelage, till then though, Im stickin with what I've got.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:06 AM

Interesting thread....I've often thought Enya was the best kept secret in R/C. I have two VT-240s that are bullet proof, three ".53's" that are a joy - completely reliable, and also a new 60 and 40 BB 2-strokers. They are all marvelous, strong engines and don't cost that much (except maybe the big 4-strokes). My YS's and Saito's sit on the bench if I have a choice. Ys's are cranky and the Saito's bite.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:21 AM

ZoomZoom,

The solution is simple. Get the fuel your enya is happy with and the rest of your fleet will be happy also. It just means you will have a little more oil residue to clean up and you might get a little crud on the engines, but the engines will be smiling.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:22 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Does anybody know if Enya has a web site (Not MRC). I have searched for a while and can't come up with one.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:36 PM

Hello; This may not answer your question, but any questions or problems AI have with my Enya's, I call Steve Webb in England. They have years of experience and all teh Enya parts you could ask for. Do a google search for they're phone number, or ask them via "E mail". Good people good service.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:30 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enyas are manufacturing jewels more than anything else, the metalwork is awsome for a mass produced product. I have no experience running Enya fourstrokes I can say that all their schneurle twostrokes make very good power and run smoothly. The big issue now is the high pricetag, I can get a near equivelent running Supertigre for half the price.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:06 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CCRC1

Does anybody know if Enya has a web site (Not MRC). I have searched for a while and can't come up with one.

No, they don't have their web site.
I called Enya before and I said them I hope Enya will release
new models since there are many Enya fan in the world.

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 03-23-2005, 08:58 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Monke see, Monkey do! Most people buy engines based on what they have seen on somebody's plane or what the LHS have in stock. Its much easier make a purchase over the counter than over the mail when you have never had the product before. I have not even thought about an eny engine or seen anyone who has one in a very long time. Nobody or advertising or LHS has placed it in my mind. I don't think the engine can fall out of favor when the Enya execs never bothered to bring it into favor.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:27 AM

I emailed steve webb in uk for some enya parts and they came back with the price in less than 2 days. needed a set of bolts and a piston ring for a 40 size model 6002. i was very pleased with the service.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:00 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the Enya .60 Series II & III were king of the pattern heap in the late sixties/very early seventies until Webra introduced the Blackhead .60 engines. Then Super Tigre brought out the baffleless piston equipped G60 Bluehead and did them in. Meantime, HP was getting the Schneurle porting thing sorted out, as was Rossi and OPS. Even the ST G60's reign was brief. All fell to the Schneurle ported engines. OS were not really considered serious pattern engines much after that period, even though I campaigned a side and rear exhaust .61 for a while, as did others. Dave Brown did well with OS, but he could have used a Ueda .55 and still won. <G>

Of course, all of the above is nothing but my opinion.

Ed Cregger