Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 Weight and reliability between Norvel .049 and .061?? >

Weight and reliability between Norvel .049 and .061??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Weight and reliability between Norvel .049 and .061??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:53 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weight and reliability between Norvel .049 and .061??

I'm going to cut the nose off of a 25 ounce, 676" Square inch, 78" Gentle Lady ARF Glider. I'm not at all familiar with these small engines and don't want headaches.

Which of the two engines should I put on it?

Are the two engines about the same weight?

Does one engine size run smoother or more reliable then the other?

Also, it doesn't matter to me if I spend $13 bucks more and buy the higher performance "AME" version of the Norvel over the standard and cheaper "Big Mig" version of the Norvel. Unless you think the cheaper version is actually better for my purposes.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:45 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Weight and reliability between Norvel .049 and .061??

You might want to check out the BigMig .061 Startup. It comes with a tank mount and a starter spring, no throttle. I am assuming you are going to run without throttle just to get the glider up. You probably would want to use a prescribed amount of fuel rather than completely fill the tank.

The BigMig .049 and .061 appear to handle about the same. The .061 has more power/cu.in.

Good luck with your project.

George
Old 01-19-2004, 09:03 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have several of each as well as a .061 startup and .074. I don't recommend the AME version for a large sailplane. The AME is better suited to small fast planes that don't require much thrust. The Big Mig allows better throttling and torque with larger props. The .061 and .049 Big Mig and AME all weigh the same. The .061 will spin a 6x3 about 3-4000 rpm faster than the .049. The B6R uses much less fuel per minute than the Startup. I don't care for the way fuel foams in the startup tank or the way it is blown to one side of the tank.
If you are willing to spend the extra money I would opt for the .074. It is an engine with many more uses. It out performs most .10s and some .15s while weighing only .4 oz more than the .049. The .074 has less leakage around the exhaust than its smaller brothers.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:11 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a cox black widow is plenty for a light glider so any of the norvels should do a spectacular job. it might be wise to use a throttle, especially with the .074, and use a big, low pitch prop for high thrust and low speed.

go visit the 1/2A forum and you'll get tons more info on these engines

dave
Old 01-19-2004, 09:53 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget the 049 I have 2 061 rc carbs one of which turns a 7x4 master airscew at 12000 (diesel head)
by going to the 074 glow you will be close to that power wise as glow maybe better it will do well on a 7x3 or 6x4
Old 01-20-2004, 12:42 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guys did well in one of my other threads in finally convincing me to keep the weight down as much as possible on a glider. They also educated me that these engines aren't like messing with those 1960's Cox Engines that I don't miss. (Has Cox ever figured out how to throttle their engines in 40 years?)

Luckilly the Goldberg Gentle Lady which weighs 25 ounces is 7 ounces lighter then say a Great Planes Spirit which weighs 32 onces. So maybe I can afford to put the slightly heavier .074 in this light sailplane without much sacrifice and negative affect to a light flight. I'll study the stats from their website.

But thanks guys for helping me narrow it down to a Big Mig .061 or .074.
I definitely want a throttle engine, not a start up. And thanks Mike for steering me away from the AP engines. My main concern was to know that I'm buying a reliable running engine.

Dave, well did I finally learn something from you and the other guys in that Clubhouse thread or what!!! You did good.