Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

glow Plug seals /copper washers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 11:37 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow Plug seals /copper washers

Hi can anyone tell me where i can get the copper washer seals for glowplugs ! I one time had a part number for them but since had lost the number ! hope to hear from someone on this ! Thanks RB
Old 01-25-2004, 11:52 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: glow Plug seals /copper washers

I always save the old washers from bad glow plugs. They seem to work just fine to re-use one. I've never seen that the washers were available seperately?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 01-25-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
Never re-use an old copper gasket!!
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 01-25-2004, 03:49 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I too re-use them, my favorites are Fox and H9 because they are thicker and fit the glow plugs more precisely, some cheaper plugs come with gaskets that are too thin and the holes are too big and fit sloppily.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:26 PM

I have been reuseing them also only because I dont have new ones ! reusing a copper ring gasket has always been a no no in the automotive world ! i hate reinstalling them but always do and I know that someware there has to be a place to buy them ! I sent a email to OS i hope they can tell me ! if i find some I will post the info ! thanks Guys
Old 01-26-2004, 07:55 AM
My Feedback: (3)

You might have better luck contacting Charles Thacker at Fox to see if they would sell them. Fox is one of the (last time I heard) 4 US manufacturers of glow plugs. They have always been pretty accomodating to me - but I never asked for glow plug washers.

Worth a try...

Dan
Old 01-26-2004, 08:28 AM
My Feedback: (37)

Copper gaskets may be re-used if properly annealed (softened). If the gasket is in good condition there should not be a problem. I have done it on cycle engines, cart engines, and glow engines for years with no problems. If it is copper you can re-use it. Annealing will take the "work hardness"(caused from being under pressure) out of the gasket by heating it and allowing it to cool slowly. Once soft again it is no different than a new gasket. There is a much more scientific approach to annealing, but I was taught by an old pro with a propane torch track side while dirt bike racing. Now I use the kitchen stove and a wire to hold the gasket over the flame until it glows dull red then slowly reduce the heat source. As long as you do not dip into liquid (quench) or blow on it (quench) to cool it the softness should remain.

This is my method of saving a few dollars and a lot of time....works for me.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:12 PM

just talked to Tanya at fox and they have them for a dime each ! I know that most of the time they can be reused with no problems ! but i like to remove my plugs and prelube befor storing and also i have been checking compression on all of my engines just to watch their differances . I had one plug seal that was leaking at the seal and evenn after I retightend it ! I didnt want to just garilla the plug so a new seal was installed ! now I have a plug minus a seal in my flight box! anyway all is well i ordered a couple doz im sure it should be a lifetime supply LOL thanks for everyones info !