Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP 61 FS valve clearance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP 61 FS valve clearance

Does anyone knows what the admission and exhaust valve clearance are for this engine?

I got 4/100mm on my translated manual, my LHS confirms but this seems not to be it (anyways, it's reall small

So I tried 4/10mm and it's better, but not quiet well.

Anybody knows the exact values and has done this operation on his engine.
Please somebody who has the values and tested them.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: ASP 61 FS valve clearance

To my knowledge, almost every four stroke model engine has the same valve clearance setting as the ASP 61 four stroke.

.04mm minimum to .1mm maximum

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 04-21-2004, 08:58 AM

Thank you Mr Moderator

Same datas I got on my translated manual sheet. 4/100 to 10/100mm max.

Anyone experienced the real thing?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:51 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jean:

I have my best results setting the valves as tightly as I can without having them stand open. Using a dial gauge I set mine at 0.0005", approximately 0.01mm clearance.

This is not as radical as it sounds, as the clearance increases as the engine heats up, and the hot running clearance is pretty close to the 0.04mm listed as a minimum.

Many advantages to this, including less stress on the valve gear, better breathing and top end power, so forth. Tthere are only two disadvantages, one is you sometimes get a very slightly rougher idle. The other, if you service your engines as I do really is nothing; you have to check the valve lash more often than once a year.

The evening before I go out to fly a four stroke, or the morning I'm going out, I pull the rocker box covers to oil the valve gear. While the cover is off I make sure there's a slight wiggle in the rockers. If there is, and it doesn't feel like too much, I put the covers back on and go fly.

Ifyou aren't in the habit of oiling your rockers you should do it, the overheads don't usually get any amount of oil in normal operation.

Bill.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:03 PM

Bill, thank you very much indeed

I think my idle is rough because I can't set up the low needle properly, and my fuel is maybe not the best

And full throttle performance is just not as good as it used to be (only 5 liters[])

What four stroke engine brand do you advice for good and long lasting power. Os, Saïto?
What kind of fuel (oil%, nitro%) and type of plug would you use?

Thanks again for sharing
Old 04-21-2004, 01:25 PM

Jean:

I greatly prefer the ASP to the OS engines, and I traded my last OS four stroke for a Saito FA-80 the owner was having trouble with. The OS was also an 80, and I think trading a perfectly running OS for a troublesome Saito was a good deal for me. That is an indication of how much better I think the Saito engines are than the OS. But of course, the fellow who got the OS probably holds the opposite position.

My favorite four stroke engines arethe Saitos, all things considered. The YS line is more expensive, and the Saitos are generally lighter than the less expensive engines.

Ideal fuel, to me, is 15% nitro, 15% synthetic oil, and 3% to 5% castor oil. With the balance being methanol, of course. On the glow plug, this is the only OS product I recommend: the OS "F" plug. Other plugs may work as well, but I settled on the "F" plugs, they give me excellent service and excellent life.

If you are running the standard FAI fuel, 80/20 methanol/oil, this all by itself could be the cause of your idling problem. Saito engines don't like no nitro, the OS engines I had didn't like it either. And since the ASP is near as dammit the same as the OS,...

But the total time on the engine is another factor, the idle will continue to improve as the engine gets more time, it will probably continue to improve until you have five or six hours on it.

Finally, the 0.1mm setting is the MAXIMUM, not the ideal. If you don't want to go to the 0.01mm, then at most try to get it down to the 0.04mm setting.

Bill.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:08 PM

Bill, thank you very much for your experience sharing.

I might sound like a total lame on this, but I am not sure where to measure that clearance we are talking about. It's now running on 40/100mm, yes 0.4mm on where I measured it, and it seemed pretty close to factory settings. - this .4mm corresponds to the shrinked part of the pusher which I can move up and down into the valve with the screw at the end of the valve itself-
Now, to make erverything clear () for me, would you, be kind enough to add a quick drawing to your next post, showing on where to measure such a clearance.

Thank you.

PS: eventhough it might be the case, hope I don't sound to much like an idiot
Old 04-25-2004, 04:05 PM

Jean:

Rather than sounding like an idiot, you sound like someone who wants to be sure, and make no mistakes.

The clearance should be measured between the rocker and the end of the valve stem, not on the end of the rocker with the adjusting screw.

Two pictures attached showing the overall view using a dial gauge, and a close shot ofthe same thing. Third and fourth are a long view using a feeler strip, and a closer shot showing the numbers. Both these latter shots show where the feeler should be located for checking/adjusting.

Hope this helps.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54189.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	126201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41384.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	126202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64585.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	126203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98046.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	126204  
Old 04-25-2004, 04:43 PM

Jean:

Just read yur last post again. If you are truely running 0.4mm clearance, that is FOUR TIMES the maximum specification. One tenth millimeter (10/100mm) is the loosest they should be. If you are using an inch set that is 0.004" max clearance. If you are really that wide, STOP and reset them before restarting the engine. The valve gear will hammer badly, and can be damaged to the point of needing replacement parts.

In my last picture you can read the thickness on the feeler as 0.0015"/0.038mm. If using a feeler strip this is the one you should be using.

More questions? Ask, please.

Bill.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:02 PM

Those pics sure help!

I understand pretty well how and where to use this feeler now. (I was aiming at the opposite side[X(])
I struggled a little to get this tool, but i now don't regreet it at all.

Thanks to all your help, I think my FS engine knowledge went from nul to practisable

This ASP61 is my first four stroke as I had always been using TS engines. (from cox 0.049 to ASP 60).
I appreciate noise reduction and fuel consumption dropping, and of course the more scaler type!

So next step is adjsuting for good those valves, buying good fuel, readjust low and high needles, test the engine on my trainer
And go fly this formerly crashed/recently rebuild awsome Great Lakes Biplane.

Bill, thanks again.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:17 PM

well 4/10 of what I was measuring seems to be close to 4/100 of what should be measured.

In fact, I disn't reset to much the factory settings. Well yes, when I did 4/100 (on the wrong side), but i than thought something was wrong as I couldn't even start the engine properly; so I immedialy stopped and set it to 4/10 which seemed to be pretty much as it was before I touched anything

I realize now I was measuring a distance, not a clearance[&:]

Anyways, I now know : 4/100mm<clearance<10/100mm and where to measure that clearance.