Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito .91 tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito .91 tuning question

I've run a Saito .91 on my Four Star 60 for 2 seasons now, & due to a crash, sent the engine to Horizon Hobbies for repairs. I flew it once or twice this fall, & noted that it was putting out more gray exhaust than previously. Just flew it at our New Year's Day "freeze Fly" (sixty degrees!), & the smoke was more pronounced, & it seemed like it wasn't producing the power it used to. Big change in the humidity outside, too, since I flew it 3 months ago; I figure it probably needs the needle valve tweaked, but which way? BTW, I couldn't mess with it after the one flight 1-1-05, had to pack up quick & be somewhere, that's why I haven't experimented yet. Thanks in advance for the advice!!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito .91 tuning question

Try this --> http://www.saito-engines.info/
Old 01-02-2005, 10:27 PM

I forgot to mention something... during taking apart & cleaning the plane, a lot of gooey unburned oil ran out of the muffler when I tilted the plane over; it's always been almost dry in the past, when it was running better.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:41 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like your needles are too rich and need to be re-set, high speed first, peaked and then richend down a couple of hundred rpm, then lowspeed leaned 1/8th turn at a time, checking transition after every other change.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:36 AM

Thanks Hobbsy...will try that when we get our next decent weather...big ice storm followed by snow rolling into Topeka the next several days...Honey, put the insulated shorts on the brass monkeys out on the lawn!!!!