Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya R1.55

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:47 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya R1.55

Anyone have any experience running the Enya R1.55 engine?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:30 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Enya R1.55

I had no luck with mine. I broke it in carefully on the bench and then installed it in an 11lb 1/4 Edge, but was very unhappy with its performance - the problems were:

1) Overly sensitive main needlevalve. It went from slobbering rich to overlean in 3 clicks no matter what fuel or plug I used.
2) Very leaky front bearing. It would spit copious amounts of oil from around the front bearing housing area.
3) It was LOUD. Stock muffler does not muffle....
4) Muffler came appart after about 15 flight. It lost a rivet.

I sent the engine back to MRC (the US distributer) with a note explaining all the problems. They replaced front bearing, main NV assembly and muffler. I was so disapointed however that I just sold the engine without ever running it again, so I don't know if it was a fluke or if the problems I had with mine are representative of all 155R.

For what it's worth, my other Enya, a .45 2-stroke, runs great.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM

1) Overly sensitive main needlevalve. It went from slobbering rich to overlean in 3 clicks no matter what fuel or plug I used.
2) Very leaky front bearing. It would spit copious amounts of oil from around the front bearing housing area.
3) It was LOUD. Stock muffler does not muffle....
4) Muffler came appart after about 15 flight. It lost a rivet.

1) Main needle is sensitive. But once you find the correct click, you won't have to move it.
2) Mine never leaked fuel through the front bearing.
3) It's indeed loud; louder than Saito 150 w/ its stock muffler, but the muffler gives very good back pressure.
4) Muffler is not the best design, and is difficult to find an after-market replacement.

Despite the above, I was quite happy with its performance though. It is stronger than Saito 150, on 15% nitro fuel it would turn APC 17x6 @ 9200~9400 rpm, depending on the ambient temperature. Idle is a little fast, gotta keep it over 2500.

I think this engine is a worthy powerplant, depending on your application. It would suit warbirds pretty well. It comes with a remote glow ignitor. I wouldn't use it for 3D though.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:48 PM
My Feedback: (14)

The engine does need an aftermarket muffler. It makes very good power on 5% nitro and doesn't use much fuel. Too Bad LUVBIPES didn't email me, I would have bought the engine.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:20 PM

Nice part about this Enya 155 is that it can be made into reverse-rotation without buying any additional parts. It would work great on those scale twins.

Regarding after-market muffler, I was referring to when the stock muffler breaks, and a replacement is needed.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:50 PM
My Feedback: (14)

I made my own muffler that worked well but was a bit heavy. Central Hobbies sells a couple of in-cowl cans for all four strokes that would work well. I am going to order one and give it a try on my next plane.