Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Crank Case Vent Tube Length

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 05:47 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Case Vent Tube Length

The manual says the vent tube can not be longer than 3 inches. What will happen if I make it 6 inches?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Crank Case Vent Tube Length

WHAT ENGINE?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:18 PM
My Feedback: (22)

OS 91 FS
Old 10-18-2005, 06:43 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It will still run about the same way it does now.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
My Feedback: (1)

The function of the tube is just to allow excess oil to drain from the engine. Tube length is not as far as I heard a problem unless it is an unreasonable lenght like 8 inches or something longer. As long as the oil gets out it really doesnot matter.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:11 AM

This is pure speculation. Maybe if the tube is too long the residue will not drain to atmosphere but lay in the tube or not get out quick enough and the piston going up will suck it all back in again.

I know, I know it is a bit of a stretch!

Ed s
Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

To me, the main purpose of having a hose on the case vent is to prevent the reverse flow (as the piston goes up) from pulling trash from the air back into the bottom end of the engine. Directing the waste oil away from the plane is an added benefit.

Length? I think a three inch maximum is hogwash. Personally, I go for a four inch MINIMUM length. This gives me a little margin. On really dusty days I've seen dirt pulled inside the vent hose as much as 1/2 inch, the rest of the length is a safety margin.

Side note - I also have Bru-Line air filters on most of my engines, and all the four stroke engines.

Bill.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 PM

Hi Bill, do you run coarse or fine bru line filters? My hobby shop seems to only be able to get fine, but I did get a coarse from Tower. I see no reason for the fine unless flying in really dusty conditions.

Ernie
Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM

Ernie:

To me the Bru-Line coarse element isn't much more than a gravel catcher, or something to keep small children from falling into the intake.

I agree with your LHS, the coarse elements are not worth the bother. I use only the fine elements, not enough flow restriction even on the 180 engines to notice. Unless they get too dirty of course, then if you've not brought a spare you can pull it out and flush the trash with a squirt of fuel.

Bill.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:08 PM

Bill, can you get to the element to change it okay on the Saitos with the carb in the rear? Have you ever had an element come loose in it's mount and attempt to be sucked into the intake? Maybe a good idea to change out the filter completely once in a while?

Thanks again,

Ernie
Old 10-20-2005, 04:26 PM

Ernie:

Except in an open engine mounting changing the filter element will be a pain with the rear mounted carb. Thankfully my area isn't really bad and I can go four to six weeks without cleaning it.

As strange as it seems, the filter on my Diablo doesn't seem to get dirty at all. It has a K&B ringed 61 engine, front intake. My supposition is the prop tends to act as a centrifugal filter, slinging the dust away from the intake. On the other hand, the Saitos, with the filters in back, turn black pretty quickly.

The only element failure I've had was on a Saito, but it wasn't the filter's fault. The engine started backwards and literally melted the foam out of its mounting ring. Didn't hurt the filter body, and it was easy to pop a new element in.

Bill.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 PM

Saito 56 in Rascal 40. I ran crankcase vent full lenght of the fuselage. Clear plastic rigid tubing that was a container for some item I bought in hobby store. Silicon tubing from crankcase just fits in clear tubing. Must work, because the oil can be seen dischargiing out the rear near the tail wheel. I run fuel with extra castrol and it slimes the fuselage to much. This solution works for me. But I can listen if someone tells me this will harm the motor.[X(][X(]
Old 10-20-2005, 08:46 PM

Beagle RC Air:

So long as there is oil coming out I see no reason to worry.

Bill.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:20 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used about three feet of small inner nyrod tube on the case vent. Durring the summer everything was fine but when it got cold I noticed a lot of oil drooling from the front bearing. The castor was getting cold and too thick to flow through the small tube. I solved the problem by using the outer nyrod tube and had no more troubles. The clogged tube did not change the way the engine ran, it just vented out the front.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

William How do you keep those filters on the carb intake? I have tried them but they keep popping off.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:54 PM

Firewalkerd1:

I have the same problem with a straight sided intake - there's nothing to hold the rubber in place.

The Saito inlet stacks all are flared, the K&B and Perry carbs are funnel shaped on the outside, the Bru-Line filters stay on them with no problem. On the other hand, the stack I put on my Magnum 25 is a straight pipe, I haven't even tried to put a filter on it. On larger engines with the straight sided intake I've found that a light smear of 3M "Amber Weatherstrip Cement" along with a small plastic tie wrap holds them with no problem. Until time to change or clean the element, then I usually have to apply some fresh glue. But they stay on in service.

HTH.

Bill.