Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 Engine will not run in high rpm ranges. >

Engine will not run in high rpm ranges.

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Engine will not run in high rpm ranges.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will not run in high rpm ranges.

Ok The story. I replaced my Tmaxx stock engine with the Team PICCO .26 direct drop in.
I have run about 2 tanks through the engine, I followed the instructions for break in which were not very elaborate. The engine runs great at low to mid rpm ranges.
Temp are running 220 - 240 with a slight hint of blue smoke coming out the exaust.

When you give the engine any type of throttle past 1/2 it will rev up a little and stall. The engine will start again if I re-prime it. I am thinking that this larger motor is pulling fuel out of the fuel line faster than the pressure can feed it. Right now the fuel line exit on the stock Tmaxx fuel tank is towards the bottom. Now I just bought a heli and when the guy at the shop was helping me set it up he told me to keep the fuel line above the carb to keep the pressure consistant. So I am thinking that I might need to re-position the tank to fix this, the bock and carb position on the new engine is a little higher that the stock setup.

Whats your feelings on why the engine would be stalling and do you think raising the fuel tank will help.
I have made all of the fuel and exaust pressure lines as short as possible. I am not using the stock pipe, currently I have it equiped with a Sirrio tuned pipe.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Engine will not run in high rpm ranges.

Hi!
The only thing you have to do is to set the carb needles!
When the engine hesitates when you give full power the idle needle is either set too rich or too lean....that simple!
But as usual... set the highspeed needle first (a little rich) then try to idle down and set the idle needle.
Your assumption that pressure from the muffler/pipe is lagging is incorrect.
To me it sounds as if the idle mixture is set to lean...try open the idle needle half a turn.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree I had the same problem with my engine idling just fine ,and cutting out when you give it power all you have to do is set the low idle needle. Also check your glow plug I always do that when i have a problem.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might need to re-position the tank to fix this
Giving advice on repositioning a tank without knowing the tank C/L to carb C/L relationship seems rather … foolish.

Bill
Old 10-21-2005, 08:21 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

BillS:

...seems rather … foolish.
No more than thinking the fuel hose looping above the carb will keep the pressure constant, as his LHS told him.

Bill.