Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 BRAND WARS! Round 1: Who makes the best 2-stroke engine? >

BRAND WARS! Round 1: Who makes the best 2-stroke engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines
View Poll Results: A poll
SuperTigre
9.00%
Evolution
2.50%
O.S.
34.50%
Thunder Tiger
9.00%
K&B
0.50%
Rossi
3.50%
Webra
6.00%
Jett
11.00%
Magnum/ASP
3.00%
GMS
0%
Enya
7.00%
MDS
0.50%
YS (They made a 45 size 2-stroke for airplanes)
1.50%
Fox
2.00%
Moki
3.00%
PAW
0%
Norvel
0%
MVVS
3.00%
COX
0%
Tower Hobbies
3.50%
McCoy
0%
HP
0%
HB
0%
Irvine
0.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

BRAND WARS! Round 1: Who makes the best 2-stroke engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BRAND WARS! Round 1: Who makes the best 2-stroke engine?

JUST CAN'T BELIVE CURRENT POLL STANDINGS [X(][X(][X(][:'(]
Old 10-29-2005, 03:07 PM

Yes, this surely has triggered some shrill bleating from the O.S. bashers.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:06 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like most OS engines and I buy them with the same frequency as other engines. Not every model requires "the best". Sometimes, "good enough" is good enough.

I wish someone would pick up Enya engines and sell the full line here in the US.

I also wish Enya would get off their duffs and produce some newer, more modern, models, not that I don't still buy their old models when I get a chance. While I love every Enya engine that I have ever owned, I wish they would bring back the Enya 45CX and then tell people how to tune them properly. Then again, maybe they shouldn't tell folks how to tune them properly. Just bring it back so I can buy those terrible Enya .45CX engines from those that do not know its "secret" to being turned into a monster that is ultra reliable and durable.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I note that MDS haven't got a vote yet!!! Well that's something that we all appear to agree on.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:31 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have 13 of the MDS' and don't agree with that.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: hobbsy
I have 13 of the MDS' and don't agree with that.

With 6279 posts, you must be quite an 'experinced' modeller.
If that kind of experience is required to have MDS engines running right, well...

Old 10-30-2005, 07:37 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There are many others on here who've had success with them also. My formula is simple, 5% nitro, 20% lube and a prop toward the large end of the prop range although others claim they had better luck with props toward the smaller end of the prop range.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:01 AM

although others claim they had better luck with props toward the smaller end of the prop range.
That's exactly the point. These engines seem all about LUCK. You can get away with it or simply never be able to tune it to your needs .
Strange as it may seem, they are the ones (and only ?) to be iso certified. We therefore shall have great consistency along the batch...[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]

Check this, it's fun : http://www.justengines.unseen.org/mds.htm
Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

although others claim they had better luck with props toward the smaller end of the prop range.
That's exactly the point. These engines seem all about LUCK. You can get away with it or simply never be able to tune it to your needs .
Strange as it may seem, they are the ones (and only ?) to be iso certified. We therefore shall have great consistency along the batch...[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]

Check this, it's fun : http://www.justengines.unseen.org/mds.htm

Hey Strykaas, iso certification is a sham. In fact most small cnc type businesses, like our model engines far exceeded their supposed standards long before the iso organization existed. It basically adds nothing but cost to everything you buy as even these small manufacturers have to pay for their inspection and also have to generate quite a bit of useless paperwork to be in compliance. Of course larger coperations pay this fee so they can export, especially to the eu. Truth be told it is a protectionist organzation and duty collection agency for the eu. It does not in any way fortell the suitibility or quality of a given product. In fact a lot of companies quality would go down if they followed iso's standards to the letter. Like I said it is really a protectionist and duty collection arm of the eu.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:29 AM

Vlizard, I would tend to agree with you regarding ISO certification.
I'm in the industry and I know what this is all about (let's not say fed up with all this BS). I'm currently writing a documentation that explains how to validate Mirage 5 mission computer software ONLY for quality purpose. It is now two month since I began, and I have still a couple of months in front of me writing this useless document.
I also think each country has such inspection rules... I remember when I was working for General Electricl Heatlhcare (in France) where we had several such.

1. FDA inspections require tons of "useless' documentation.

2. Six Sigma certified products

You're maybe familiar with that. And yes, to my mind, these are not really there to help increase quality. Traceability probably, but not quality, for sure.

And when I said "We therefore shall have great consistency along the batch...", it WAS purposeful irony
Old 10-30-2005, 11:36 AM

Vlizard, I would tend to agree with you regarding ISO certification.
I'm in the industry and I know what this is all about (let's not say fed up with all this BS). I'm currently writing a documentation that explains how to validate Mirage 5 mission computer software ONLY for quality purpose. It is now two month since I began, and I have still a couple of months in front of me writing this useless document.
I also think each country has such inspection rules... I remember when I was working for General Electricl Heatlhcare (in France) where we had several such.

1. FDA inspections require tons of "useless' documentation.

2. Six Sigma certified products

You're maybe familiar with that. And yes, to my mind, these are not really there to help increase quality. Traceability probably, but not quality, for sure.

And when I said "We therefore shall have great consistency along the batch...", it WAS purposeful irony
Duh! I feel so stupid. Sorry I did not catch the joke.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:47 PM
My Feedback: (9)

MDS, I have to agree that they run great, and they are cost efficient. I have bought many of these second hand for penny's on the dollar. They are just not as user friendly as some engines. And if they were built on a friday or a monday you could have problems with them.

Why is OS leading the poll? Oh yeah with the cost that they charge everyone over other MFG's they can afford the most advertising.....
This really is a senseless POLL!!!!!!! All of these engines are good at something, and some of them are good at multiple things.....
Old 10-30-2005, 11:16 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OS is good for charging rediculous prices for both new engines and parts to service older ones.

What I'd like to see from a few more of the manufacturers is that they make a good engine and then don't discontinue it after 2 or 3 years. OS is famous for this. Magnum seams to make a lot of changes too. Yes, they (OS) still make the surpass line--but why did they have to discontinue the FX 46? It worked fine and the AX isn't all that much better.

Make an engine that runs good and keep it in production for 10 years. Why change the design every 3 yrs?? Then they only supply the parts for maybe 3 or 4 yrs and your on your own after that.

A lot of manufacturers DO keep an engine in production for many years. But, I'd like to see more of them do it more frequently. It won't be long before the 46FX parts become scarce.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:29 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

THe OS 46AX is a lot cheaper to make than the 46FX
Old 10-30-2005, 11:29 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I voted for Tower because that is as dumb an answer as is the question/poll.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:18 AM
AMB

What happened to Irvine 46-53?? martin
Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 AM
AMB

There is really no good answer here its purpose and the plane . A john Deere does not run Lemans and a formula One does not plow fields HB and HP are great engiines no replies I guess no owners on the post and as stated irvine too There are bunch of STs and OSs out there no surprise on the numbers only thing that counts is what works for you non of these are the junkers like Vivelle and thor in the old days martin
Old 10-31-2005, 01:26 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I'd like to see from a few more of the manufacturers is that they make a good engine and then don't discontinue it after 2 or 3 years. OS is famous for this. Magnum seams to make a lot of changes too. Yes, they (OS) still make the surpass line--but why did they have to discontinue the FX 46? It worked fine and the AX isn't all that much better.
I think OS should still be making the FSR engines, IMO the finest two stroke series they ever made.

.... Untill then, I really like the Enya's
Old 10-31-2005, 06:25 AM

I'm waiting for the rationale [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]

Moving on from ABC to ABN indeed reduced costs (chrome waste disposal costs), but FX to AX which are both ABN, I just can't see where they saved $$$ ??
Old 10-31-2005, 09:45 AM

I'm waiting for the rationale [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]

Moving on from ABC to ABN indeed reduced costs (chrome waste disposal costs), but FX to AX which are both ABN, I just can't see where they saved $$$ ??
Hey they saved the cost of a couple head bolts

So where is Irvine ????...
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 AM
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: B.L.E.

My appologies to Jett engineering and I stand corrected. I didn't mean to single out Jett as being unusually noisy, it's just that I have always associated Jett (and Nelson) with high power .40's for pylon racing. A prop turning 20,000+ is going to make a lot of noise even on an electric plane.
no problem at all ..... its a popular misconception - for the reason you mention - those engines do tend to be loud. The other misconception is that the jett engines are for high rpm only and do not idle.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 AM

I refuse to vote until IRVINE is in there !!!! )
Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampFlier-RCU

I refuse to vote until IRVINE is in there !!!! )
ME TOO
Old 10-31-2005, 01:50 PM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: bob27s

ORIGINAL: B.L.E.

My appologies to Jett engineering and I stand corrected. I didn't mean to single out Jett as being unusually noisy, it's just that I have always associated Jett (and Nelson) with high power .40's for pylon racing. A prop turning 20,000+ is going to make a lot of noise even on an electric plane.
no problem at all ..... its a popular misconception - for the reason you mention - those engines do tend to be loud. The other misconception is that the jett engines are for high rpm only and do not idle.
It's also a misconception that an engine needs to be loud to be fast. There are some very fast boats in Europe that have engines turning in the 25-30K range, but less than 85 decibels.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:12 PM
My Feedback: (76)

wow... looks like OS has a dominating lead...
could this be? OS makes the best 2-stroke???[&:]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.