Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 About to give up on my screwy Nelson Glo Driver. >

About to give up on my screwy Nelson Glo Driver.

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

About to give up on my screwy Nelson Glo Driver.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:12 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About to give up on my screwy Nelson Glo Driver.

I bought a Nelson "Intelligent Glo Driver" a couple of years ago after reading here how it was the best glo driver available. I'm finally using it now for the first time, but the thing is acting screwy!

It seems I can't get it adjusted to glow in any logical sequence. And the indicator light commonly also does a double blink to tell me the battery is low when the battery has plenty of juice. Sometimes it glowed real bright red to tell me it was supplying juice to the plug when the engine was running at half throttle (and didn't need it glowing) But then finally it started to stay on full time at a half bright glow but not intense enough to start the engine. That's when I gave up.

The worse thing is that I put this cotton picking gadget inside the fuse where I can not easilly get at it unless the wing is off. It's not easy to work with it with while running the Moki 2.1 on a 5' long fuse that is bungie strapped to milk crates. Had I initially known the time that would be required to set it up, I would have strapped it to the outside the plane on top of the pilots head where I could play with it all day.

Anybody have any such experience to tell me about with Nelson Glo Drivers?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:23 PM
8D3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: About to give up on my screwy Nelson Glo Driver.

Im not familar with the Nelson.Is it programable like my MPI?Sounds like a setup problem.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:31 PM

RandallM;

I currently use the Nelsons in nearly all my planes with no trouble. One important item is to use a NiCd and definitely not a NiMh. I know because I tried. The NiMh won't put out enough current and for me always showed a low voltage indication. I replaced all my Expert, McDaniels, homemade, and some other odd ball lighters with the Nelsons.. Except for very cold weather here in Missouri I just set the Pot halfway and they work fine.

My sequence for starting is throttle trim down, throttle stick up, turn on the transmitter, turn on the receiver, bring the throttle stick down all the way, then move the throttle trim up to start the engine..

I use a computer radio but haven't used a transmitter with a throttle cutoff. I also use a Y connector on the throttle,; simpler that way. The glow lighter should be off when at the high throttle and also the low throttle position with the trim to cutoff. Hope this helps but please ask if I can do any more.

By the way, If Jerry Nelson is listening, I would love to have a three and a five cylinder in ONE PACKAGE....
Old 04-29-2006, 11:58 PM

Roy,

I'm using the same ni-cad sub c cell as used in a standard glo starter. Perhaps I'll replace it with a full c size ni-cad battery so I won't have any more concerns. It's a 20 lb plane so the extra ounce or two of weight of a heavier battery is Ok.

Since this unit has no fulltime battery source when it is not in use, then it will also have no full time memory. So it's programming is being set each time you operate the sticks before you start the engine. So then obviously the starting sequence you are describing to me must be very important to get right.

I tried following the included Nelson directions about starting with the stick and trim in off position, and then pushing the throttle up, and then back down. The instructions weren't clear to me about how to move the trim though. So I was pushing it up in union with the throttle, and then back down in union with the throttle, and then fully back up again by itself where I usually have it positioned when I start the engine.

Your having told me to set the trim pot half way is a big help. Since I will not have access to it the fuse, I now know where to set it, and can leave it alone.

I pretty much set up the system with a Y harness just like the Nelson instructions show.

Do the adjustments work about the same for you no matter what plug you are using? Nelson instructions say the trim pot should be adjusted accordingly to different plugs.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:06 AM

RandallM;

I gave up trying to do the pot adjustment per Nelson's instruction. I use all kinds of plugs (all kind of engines) but don't remember that giving me any trouble. Except for the "BATTERY". Mostly I use a 3600Mah NiCd from Battery America. I have one plane I fly in the dead of winter , and I found I had to have the pot turned up for that.

I swear , one of these days I am going to put the Nelson on a scope and see if it is as good as it is supposed to be. I just started using them because I knew Nelson and at that time they were cheap and over the years I have updated and standardized. Lot of my friends are using them also and I never seen any trouble.

I guess you know he moved to Texas a while back. I see Jerry at Scalemasters once in a while.

Try that method of programming and let me know.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:52 PM

Roy,

Geeez..... a 3600 MAH battery?!! You have more stored energy in reserve for the Nelson glo driver then I have with my two redundant battery packs that I use for my whole plane!

I'm glad I decided to move up to a C battery from the sub c. I think I'll put a regular Alkaline C battery in there altogether which I happen to have stored away in the fridge. I reckon I ought to be able to get at least one or two good flights on it before I have to replace it.

I was getting ready to toss this $50 Nelson gadget and fly the Moki 2.1 without it for its maiden flight, but now I'll start with the sticks, trim, and pot adjust just as you describe and likely have much less trouble now.

Thanks a buch for the info.
Randall

EDIT:Just got off the phone with Jerry Nelson.....he says an Alkaline battery should not be used, as it does not have the same capacity and amps as the ni-cad. This is a surprie to me, as I thought a 1.5 battery fresh alkaline out of a package were every bit as good, especially since that they are 1.5volts VS a ni-cads 1.25 volts.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:50 PM
My Feedback: (26)

I have lost the instruction for my Nelson Glow driver. can anyone post or email a set to me? i am selling a plane ot a guy and wanted to include them.

thanks

Joe