Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

kavan 50 in a 1/3 scale cub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:40 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kavan 50 in a 1/3 scale cub?

i have a chance at a like new in the box kavan 50 twin engine on electronic ignition for a great price, few questions for you guys, will this engine fly my balsa usa 1/3 scale j3 cub? thoughts on this combo and on the engine?[]
Old 04-30-2006, 11:20 AM
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: kavan 50 in a 1/3 scale cub?

It will fly it perfectly. I seen this combo years ago at a IMAA fly in.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sure will
Old 04-30-2006, 08:00 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one on a 27 pound 1/3 scale cub, the combination was great. I purchased methenol for $3.25 a gallon and then added 2% castor for my fuel. I always changed the crankcase oil after each flying day using a marinade injector to add the oil. I actually had two of these engines, one had a CH ignition system and the other was glow. The one with ignition was much better to start with no kick back, the glow engine engine would kick back so hard sometimes that it would knock the chicken stick out of my hand. Once the engines were running the power seemed about the same. I used a MPI glow driver to make starting easier and to keep both cylinders firing on the glow engine. If I had a chance to buy another of these engines I wouldn't pay any more than I could purchase a ZDZ 50 or DA 50 for. The Kavan 50 would turn a Zinger 20x6 propeller at 7400 rpm and my ZDZ 50 will turn a Zinger 22x8 at 7400 rpm.