Which would you guys recommend:
OS 46AX
or
Evolution 46NT
or something else?
Old 05-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS VS Evolution

OS 46AX, OS 8 plug, 20% coolpower, 10% nitro, also change to Stainless steel back bearing, from Boca bearings & you will have the most powerful & easy to run motor you can get. don't underprop it though, we are running a trainer with 46AX & APC 12x6 & a Mad dog same motor & APC 12x4, Perfect.
Good Flyin Mate.
Allan.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:26 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta throw in my comments on the Evo .46NT. Great running engine. Smooth with a lot of power. I think it has more than the OS .46FX as I had both engines in the same plane. Very forgiving if you don't have it tuned just right. Low speed needle valve very forgiving and the crankcase doesn't seem to load up as badly as the OS.

One real advantage of the Evo is the chromed liners. OS doesn't use chrome. Another advantage is price.

Now, to really get more power out of the NT you should toss the OS 8 plug after the first couple of tanks of fuel and put in a Tower Hobbies plug. This will really get the engine responding and you will notice a lot more power, smoother starts, and more reliable running. The OS 8 is way too cold for the NT. The Tower plug is cheaper. I put on the Towers muffler and gained 1000 RPM.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM

Maybe it's because not that many people have the Evolution engine.
The posts are in the hundreds for the O.S. Most good but some bad.
The evolution has only a few posts that I can find and they are all good.
I have a .47 GMS not very reliable. Very good top end. But it stalls out a lot. It only wants to work on very (extremely lean setting) 2-3 clicks into the rich and it works like crap. This thing has been a lot silicone on it to block possible leaks. I don't believe I should need to drill this or modify that to make it run well. Shouldn't it do that without all the mods. Well enough about that I've pretty much given up on the GMS. I want to be a flyer not an airplane mechanic. I may stick this thing in another plane, but not my trainer

The evolution sounds good, but the manufacturer wants to sell his product. The claim is that it is as good as anything else out there.
I like the rear carb adjustment. (layer of skin knucles gone) from tuning the GMS.
That's why I'm either contemplating the OS AX46 or the Evolution 46NT.
I'd like to hear from people that have the Evo.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: eastsider673

Maybe it's because not that many people have the Evolution engine.
The posts are in the hundreds for the O.S. Most good but some bad.
The evolution has only a few posts that I can find and they are all good.
I have a .47 GMS not very reliable. Very good top end. But it stalls out a lot. It only wants to work on very (extremely lean setting) 2-3 clicks into the rich and it works like crap. This thing has been a lot silicone on it to block possible leaks. I don't believe I should need to drill this or modify that to make it run well. Shouldn't it do that without all the mods. Well enough about that I've pretty much given up on the GMS. I want to be a flyer not an airplane mechanic. I may stick this thing in another plane, but not my trainer

The evolution sounds good, but the manufacturer wants to sell his product. The claim is that it is as good as anything else out there.
I like the rear carb adjustment. (layer of skin knucles gone) from tuning the GMS.
That's why I'm either contemplating the OS AX46 or the Evolution 46NT.
I'd like to hear from people that have the Evo.
I have the evo 45 it's the trainer version I took the flywheel off and the baffle out of the muffler really helps the throttle response.
and run a hot plug and 15% coolpower in it , never fails me even before I took the stuff off it
plenty of power it pulled my old trainer about 6.5lbs around at a very good clip with a 10x6apc vertical wasen't bad either
my son-in-law has one on a twist and it pulls it around very well
I would buy another without thinking about it too hard

Old 05-22-2006, 01:05 PM
My Feedback: (6)

I have the Evolution 46 and its GREAT. I dont care about price and bought OS engines for years, but every one of them peeled the cheap nickel liner after only a couple seasons [:@] I am willing to pay for the best engine, but in this case the expensive OS is just garbage [:'(] It will run good for one season, but the liner will peel and the engine is basically worthless.

I was a die hard OS fan, but I will never buy another OS. The evolution runs graet, is better, and lasts longer.

JettPilot
Old 05-22-2006, 01:16 PM

Well that's another way to put it
Old 05-22-2006, 02:42 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I have an Evo .45 (Alpha ) and the .46 and am happy with both of them...
The O.S. .46AX runs good too...have friends with them...but after having 2 .46FX's peel I am still leery of 'em.

How about a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro? One of the best "bang for your buck" engines in that size. The Super Tigre .45 ABC is good too and they're both about the same ($80.00 ) price...but the ST muffler [:'(]
Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 PM
blw

You hit a good point about the .45 Evo. That was my first engine and it is probably the best engine on the market. It is a powerhouse that I would put up against any .46. You can't make that engine deadstick! I'm mostly into 4 strokes now, but will keep both of my Evo engines running on something.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:39 PM

Pretty much what I thought.
The Evo is a good engine. Not well publisized.
I just needed to hear it from people who have one.
Nothing bad posted. I guess that clinches it for me.

Thanx for the input
Old 07-25-2006, 08:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I too have sworn off OS in favor of Evolution. I was impressed that when I first started it was PERFECTLY TUNED! I still richened it up 2 clicks just because I felt funny running a new engine that lean, although the company states that it has been broken in at the factory. One note on propping the .46NT skiman762 is running a 10X6 which is way too little prop for this engine Evolution recommends an 11X6 and the engine runs perfect with this setup (I can hover a 5 LB plane). However I have tried running it with an 11X4 which is too little prop, on a dive it sounds like the engine will explode from the revolutions. Also I now use an 11X7 as I like speed and it turns just as well as the 11X6. A note on Supertiger engines: A number of people at my club have had issues with poor carburetion on the new Supertigers they are swapping their new carbs for old ones from burnt out engines in order to get an engine that will transition properly. So I wouldn't buy one at this time.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

I dont care about price and bought OS engines for years, but every one of them peeled the cheap nickel liner after only a couple seasons [:@] I am willing to pay for the best engine, but in this case the expensive OS is just garbage [:'(] It will run good for one season, but the liner will peel and the engine is basically worthless.

JettPilot
Exactly how many of your OSs peeled their liners? What models were they? The OP asked about the AX .46 - how many of these have you owned that peeled their liners?

When the liners peeled, what was your LHS's response? Did you return them? Were they covered by warranty?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:29 PM
My Feedback: (25)

I new the .46FX had the peel problem but haven't heard of others. I have a .61FX, .46AX, 120 Surpass and .46LA that run perfect
Old 07-25-2006, 09:57 PM
blw

Someone wrote about their O.S. .32 SX-H peeling the liner. It happened recently.

editted to add: I'm using an APC 12.25x3.75 on my .46NT. Tower muffler. It will hover a Somethin Extra at less than half throttle. Takeoffs going immediately to vertical and it accelerates on the way up.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 PM

Hey,
Wait till you guys get hold of the new Evolution 52 air engine. Still fits the same mounting holes but more torque and easier running, setting. Fits in the same place as the Evolution or OS 40-46 engines. Check it out on horizonhobby.com pn EVOE052
Jimnie
Old 07-26-2006, 05:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any OS engine that peels a liner was manufactured many years ago. I may be wrong, but as I recall, they changed their manufacturing process in the late 1990s to use copper plating before the nickel. This has never peeled to my knowledge.

I am running 6 OS engines in twins, 4 .46AXs and 2 .25FXs. I couldn't ask for more reliable or easy to set up engines. I do have 2 Evo .46s in a Dual Ace. To date they have run pretty well with only a couple of in flight failures. Bear in mind that a multi engine plane really puts the stress on an engine, especially in the vibration area. I yanked Magnums and GMSs out of planes because I couldn't get the 2 engines to run reliably together. It also seemed that 1 Magnum and 1 GMS would run better than the other. Not very good quality control, in my opinion.

I hope the Evos turn out well because OS does need some competition. I could only keep 2 Magnum .52s running 2 flights out of 3. I am using the individually now. The GMS .47s were better, but one didn't run as well as the other. The AXs normally start in 1 back flip, tune easily and always run. I have 4 GMS .32s and 2 have been replaced under warranty.

All you need to do to find out whether an engine is good is to fly multi-engine. You'll learn soon enough unless you like tuning and setting a lot and don't mind single engine landings.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:12 PM

I would like to here more about the evo .52.......sounds interesting!
Old 07-26-2006, 08:36 PM
blw

Ed,

Are you using plugs that are hotter than the OS #8 in your .46NTs? The Tower plug made a tremendous difference in mine.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 PM
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a evo 61nt here from rc uni and am really impressed with this engine. Runs great just put it in the plane and flew it after minor adjustment. Its on my tiger 60 and does a superb job.

Note I had to return a os 46 ax, peeled liner the motor was replaced but thats when I started looking at other brands. I really have good luck with all brands but the evo is priced better and the performance is equal or better. Just my opinion...