Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 OS VS SAITO 4 STORKE - What are the differences ??? >

OS VS SAITO 4 STORKE - What are the differences ???

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS VS SAITO 4 STORKE - What are the differences ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:15 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
I have to disagree jim,if apc props look average,and they do,that would put grey graupner props in to the 'needs plastic surgery' class automatically.

Flight risk a slow learner is a slow learner,take me for example.Made the same mistakes with variations just to confuse myself,obviously,and make the steep learning curve more entertaining for the first few years cheers

Now Pete, this is a much better looking prop than an APC.

Graupner Super Nylon 12 x 8

Last edited by Hobbsy; 01-16-2019 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-08-2019, 02:32 PM

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Having been a Saito freak for years I just broke in a NIB OS FS48 (old version with airbleed carb).9500 rpm richened 200 with an APC 12x6. That's only a couple hundred R's shy of my rebuilt Saito FA56a numbers. Runs terribly rich at idle though, even with the airbleed screw turned all the way out. I'll try a new f plug first, if that doesn't fix it I'll have to drill out the airbleed hole one drill size at a time until it's tuneable. I do despise airbleed carbs.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 05-08-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Having been a Saito freak for years I just broke in a NIB OS FS48 (old version with airbleed carb).9500 rpm richened 200 with an APC 12x6. That's only a couple hundred R's shy of my rebuilt Saito FA56a numbers. Runs terribly rich at idle though, even with the airbleed screw turned all the way out. I'll try a new f plug first, if that doesn't fix it I'll have to drill out the airbleed hole one drill size at a time until it's tuneable. I do despise airbleed carbs.
Hmm. I've never heard of drilling out an airbleed.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:33 PM

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It is a fairly common fix.
Old 07-27-2024, 12:00 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, there is so much to learn, this is a much harder subject than I imagined !!! Thanks to everyone for so much good information on these engines. Since my first post, I am still trying to figure out weather I should get the OS or the Saito ???

Old 07-27-2024, 02:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JettPilot
I am still trying to figure out weather ???
I bet your weather in Tuscan is a bit warmer than here NW of Denver. We are low 90's, overcast, with a slight chance of sprinkles.
This seems to be the thread that never ends (started in 2006). You want a smooth running engine that can be used as a camera plane? Maybe try electric like 95% of my club.... Sad...
I still prefer playing with glow fuel and 4-strokes.
Let us know when you make a decision.

Old 07-28-2024, 04:00 AM

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JettPilot
Wow, there is so much to learn, this is a much harder subject than I imagined !!! Thanks to everyone for so much good information on these engines. Since my first post, I am still trying to figure out weather I should get the OS or the Saito ???
Don't sweat it, you'll love either one, I am all Saito save one. My lone two stroke is in the left LT 25. It's a real jewel, contrary to popular talk.

Note nose gear on the left one..

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 07-28-2024 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Add image
Old 07-28-2024, 06:36 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Maybe try electric like 95% of my club.... Sad...
I still prefer playing with glow fuel and 4-strokes.
Let us know when you make a decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iln6fkwJOU
Hi Flight Risk,

I do fly a lot of electric, it is very smooth and reliable, it solves so many problems. BUT, I still have to be careful to always run low power levels to get a reasonable flight time from electric, there is just not enough energy in batteries yet. Sometimes it is fun to fly Glow engines for the ability to run high power levels and not worry about running batteries dead so quickly. Glow is also just fun sometimes for historical reasons
Old 07-28-2024, 06:56 AM

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Like Dave, all of my smaller fuel planes (8) are powered by Saitos, save one, an OS 55AX.

The choice for me, between OS and Saito 4 strokes was an easy one.....I simply like the looks of the Saitos better.

There are exceptions but overall Saitos have a measurable edge over OS in the power/weight ratio category. This can often give the option to up the displacement when using Saitos without adding much/any tail weight.

Longevity goes to OS imo due to their seemingly indestructible cam and tappets. Still, Saitos will last a very, very long time, albeit requiring a slightly more diligent maintenance routine.

Lonnie
Old 07-28-2024, 08:55 AM

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Power/Weight and longevity as measured in horsepower/hours, all probably goes to YS They are simply remarkable. "Looks" are a bit subjective as I think YS look great from both design and high standards of parts manufacture.
With the right oil combo, Saito cam/lifter durability is competitive with O.S. for all practical purposes. Unlike Saito, O.S. four strokes add a bit of slack and corrosion effects with their utilization of ball type camshaft bearings. The helical gearing places cyclical thrust loads on those ball bearings.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-28-2024 at 02:55 PM.