Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya 60XF erratic run...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:39 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya 60XF erratic run...

Good morning All,
I have a new (5 or so tanks through) Enya 60XF ringed engine on my Midwest Super Hots and Monday, when I went to my field at lunch time to fly, I could not get the engine to transition correctly so I didn't go up. A guy at the field told me to put the low end air bleed screw half way in between the little air hole on the front of the carb. It worked like a charm! When I went to fly yesterday, transition was perfect. I set the engine rich (see smoke trail when flying) and flew. 1'st flight was beautiful, Nice smoke trail, engine sounded good. 2'nd flight, engine about half throttle, it would dip and go back up, settle again then dip and go back up to settle again. It was not reeving higher, it would dip lower as if you were dropping the throttle. Fresh fuel, tank and clunk seems fine, 12X6 prop. What do you think I should look for?... It was hot here yesterday at noon time (just above 80 F). Where should I start? Some guys at the field made some suggestions but I want to hear from you. Thank you so much for your time and concern.

Justrfb (checking all my options)
Old 04-16-2003, 01:50 PM

Check the fuel line for pin holes. Rev up the engine to high RPM see you can spot any air bubbles in the line. Check the carb make sure it is clean, finally check the engine back plate to see it is not loose. Let us know if you found the problem
Old 04-16-2003, 02:09 PM

foxx,
Thank you for your reply. I will check as advised... I have a question, if air was getting in wouldn't it make the engine go lean and rev, not bog down like mine seemed to? I am confused by this whole situation. Is it possible the engine is overheating or something and goes low on the RPM's? Any other thoughts... Thank you.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:57 PM

At 5 tanks the engine will still be running in seeing it's ringed. It's probably OK to fly but I'd keep it very rich, just barely into a 2 stroke. Enyas have always taken a long time to run in fully but then they'll last just about forever. Does your carb have the lever on the side by the main needle valve for the mid range mixture? If so then turn it slightly towards the + sign to richen it a little.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:12 PM

I was thinking more about erratic engine behavior, but after reading you post more carefully I think it is possible the engine is going rich in mid range, here are my questions, how the engine runs in the pit, are you able to lean the engine , how does the engine runs in mid throttle, and finally have you tried a different plug. On the ground keep the battery connected to the plug and observe how the engine runs and what does it do when you remove the battery, does it keeps it RPM or there is a noticeable drop.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:20 PM

Hey foxx,
The engine runs seemingly fine in the pit. I have been richening the needle, not leaning it. A guy at the field suggested changing the plug and I will do that. It is a plug of unknown condition. I am going flying right after work, maybe I will pick up a new plug on the way to the field. I just looked the whole front end of the plane over and everything looks good. I will get another plug and hope for the best. It is a little gusty out there now, I hope it calms down before I leave... I will report back after the session tonight. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2003, 04:40 PM

Good luck, I usually use OS A3 plug in my 2-cycle ,but I read here some guys use OS F plug (4-cycle) which is really hot for 2-cycle. If the coil in plug is turning grey and is not clean and shiny then it is time for a new one. Let us know what you come up with
Old 04-17-2003, 10:11 AM

Well, I am happy to report that after putting in a new glow plug, the engine seemed to run just right. Plenty of power and rock solid reliability (knock on wood Joe De style). Now I have to fix a little up thrust situation and I think I will finally have the re-engine task completed. The plane is flying around dragging the tail as if tail heavy. I checked and double check the balance and it is fine. You can almost see the upthrust when looking at the plane from the side. Thank you for all of your help and support.

Old 04-17-2003, 01:39 PM

I am glad that you finally fixed the problem. Get hold of a Robart incident meter to check the engine thrust . Lucky you get to fly so much, here we have had nothing but bad weather so far, rain wind ,sand storm, you name it we had it.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:03 PM

Hey foxx,
Yea, I have an incidence meter already... I guess with the new mount I had to get for the new engine, the thrust angle is off. I already have time set aside tonight to go down and fix the situation. I am sorry to hear your weather is not cooperating. Thanks for your assistance and hope to talk again...

Old 02-20-2004, 06:22 PM
My Feedback: (37)

Default RE: Enya 60XF Muffler...

I would like to know what muffler you are using with the 60XF? I recently purchased a 60 XF engine without the muffler.
What type of muffler are you using? Any input on what muffler would fit it and give it the best power.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-25-2004, 06:23 AM

Default RE: Enya 60XF erratic run...

Hello Billsky,
Sorry I haven't replied till now, didn't see the activity on the old thread. The muffler I use is the same one I use on my K&B 61...

CBA/Tatone Pitts Muffler .45-.60

It is available from Tower at $22.59 I believe. You have to trim down the edges on the muffler to mount it but this is not an issue. You will see what I mean if you get it. The other thing is that I had to block 1 opening on the exhaust to create enough pressure for the glow tank. Drill and tapping a hole for the pressure is straight forward also. If there is anything else I can do for you, let me know. I hope this helps...
Old 08-10-2005, 04:37 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Enya 60XF erratic run...

ORIGINAL: justrfb

Now I have to fix a little up thrust situation and I think I will finally have the re-engine task completed. The plane is flying around dragging the tail as if tail heavy.
I've got to get my 2 cents in on this one. If the engine had "up" incidence, you would have to fly nose low (tail high) to maintain straight and level. Similarly, a tail heavy situation would require nose down trim (again, tending toward tail high) in order to fly straight and level as well. Of course, a tail heavy situation would most likely cause you general controlability problems long before you would worry about flying straight and level, and you have indicated the balance is fine. I agree with foxx, there is an incidence problem, but I think it is probably with your wing being too negative, forcing you to trim the tail down (nose up trim) to compensate and allow the wing to generate enough lift. Let us know if you've corrected the situation.