My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for WACO .30

Here are my options for the Hobbypeople Waco .30:
OS 26 4 stroke
TT .46
Saito .56
Might to russle up a TT .42

What do you guys think? The 26 underpowered. The 56 overpowered? I understand it need weight up front.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:39 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Do a search of the threads for this plane. I recall somone putting a TT36 in one, and said it had rocket like vertical, and balanced well with it. I think they're about 12oz with the muffler. The OS26 is 10oz, and the Saito about 16oz, I think.

The 26 will fly it fine, although very "scale like".

The Saito may be too much wieght and a power for it. I put the 56 in a 4 1/4 lb Sig clipped wing cub (I think it was meant for a 25 two stroke), and had to move the battery and servoes into the tail to balance.

It flew fine, but would barely idle low enough to sit still at idle. It would be trying to creep foward.

It would go "kind of" unlimited vertical on take off, but just barely so. Maybe the bulky design of a cub, but it would be wanting to roll out of the vertical.

I've been thinking of one of these also. If you can make the 56 work, please let me know how it flys. I may also try it.

Otherwise, the new small case Saito 40 would seem a good match, but I'm not sure how much power they have for vertical.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:00 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Os 32 or Thunder Tiger 36 for two stroke engines would be my choice. The TT 36 makes a hair more power but doesn't transition as nicely as the OS 32 which is one of the best balanced and strong engines ever made. The 32 SX which is currently in production is very nice but I like the 32 F-ABC of the early nineties.. The original F series had the 3H carb in the front and is very easy to get running correctly. I've had a few more problems with the remote type carbs for some reason. As far as four strokes go. I would run an OS 52 or Saito 56, both great engines. Don't add the extra weight of a huge engine in the smaller size planes there too many great engines that would work very well in that plane and give you great performance wihtout adding all the extra weight.

Good luck.

Ignacio
Old 05-05-2003, 11:19 AM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Saito .30

The Saito .30 is 8.9 oz. also. I've flown one quite few hours on a Sig LT 25. It's in a new Modeltec Cub, not flown the Cub yet. The new Saito .40 is 10.64 oz.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:42 PM

I fly mine using a OS 40FS which does not over power it, just a nice combo. I think the Saito 56 would be fine, you can use the weight and you can always throttle down.

Marcel.