Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Remind me about header length

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:27 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remind me about header length

I guess Im having a pre-senior moment and cant remember this... tell me which way that you cut the header length for a moussecan muffler... I have a Modeltech Magic that Im putting together and Im going to install my TT46 pro that was on another plane with the moussecan setup and I want some low end results, not hi-rpm ( maybe all it will do is just make the engine breathe better, and thats fine with me). I cant remember if shortening the headerpipe gives you better lower end or not. I know that I should tach it and adjust the length once Im all done, but I think Im going to need shorten my setup due to the size plane, its pretty small and a funfly type plane, so I know that I wont be able to do alot, if any, of hi-speed runs with it.
Thanks in advance,
John
Old 08-15-2008, 06:07 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Remind me about header length

Low end response is better longer

Top end response is better shorter
Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Thank you Sir Jim
Old 08-17-2008, 03:33 PM

It ain't that simple, John...

A mousse-can muffler is a "magic-muffler" of a sort, or a type of folded pipe.

In a 3D/fun-fly plane one would want to tune the length, so the engine gets 'on the pipe' smoothly at part throttle...

This means top-end performance would be less than optimal, since the tuned length is too long.

...But when flying this type of model, top-end is of virtually no importance and the response from hover is the most important.
I an engine is tuned for the very top and the throttle is opened to the fullest, there will not be a smooth RPM rise, but a sharp step instead.

The MVVS #3248 is a magic-muffler too and it makes the engine most manageable, when the header length is tuned to begin boosting at just over ½ throttle. It makes hover control the best, since the engine is already on-the-pipe while hovering and advancing to full still gives sufficient 'launch power'.

This tuned muffler has a wide RPM range, just like the mousse can pipe.