Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS 140 initial thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 140 initial thoughts

Just got one NIB
I expected it to be the Porsche of engines available,especially when looking at the externals and finishing.
Compared to my OS 120 Surpass the casting was really rough all around,and the engine just looked cheaper and in some ways more clumsy and questionable.
It is supposed to be the one of the best out there and the price is set accordingly.I know externals mean little,and the YS 140 has a great reputation,but why the rough finish outside???
The OS Surpass looks to be much more refined at initial inspection,but the YS delivers unmatched power and increased price. Anyone else notice a rather rough finish for this reputable engine??
Old 09-04-2008, 03:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: YS 140 initial thoughts

YES.
YS is a cottage industry compared to OS.
They deliver the goods though. The 1.40FZ on 30% is very sweet, possibly the best, most reliable and user friendly YS ever made.
Thus it's still available more or less intact as the 1.40Sport.
I have a couple, ran then for quite a number of years now... they're lovely.

Mind you, only last weekend I rebuilt an OLD/crashed OS surpass II thats been laying in a plastic bag for at least 7 years.
When I stripped it down I was STUNNED! Spot less, shinny internals! Even the ring and bearings, valves, rockers were imaculate.

Washed & rebuilt it looks like it came out of the box yesterday and runs... just so lovely, it hard to imagine anything better.
Maybe simple is best.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 AM

I have 6 YS motors, and they all look the same outside, but the internals are A1 and thats where it counts. for performance my YS140FZ outperformed my saito 180 hands down, in fact all my YS motors are superb motors and I have sold most of my other motors since apart from my big Super Tigres (YS dont make big big enough motors yet ) . only drawback is running 30% nitro, but with all the plus's I am happy
Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never really noticed the difference?? I do really like the way my YS engines look though compared to my OS and Saito engines, sort of A mean and hungry look?? I have never figured out the whys of the 30% nitro other then easier tuning of the low end. I have A lot of the 4 strokes of all makes and models and they all run very well on my Power Master 15%. I have tried the different persentages without ever seeing any huge boost in power so I fail to see spending the big money for the extra nitro?? My 1.40 Sports run great and I never did notice the poor finish on them.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 AM

with my YS motors I have noted a big difference, in starting, tuning, and spooling up revs, my 140's (I have 2 of them) run like hairy goats on anything less than 25% and dont pull as well. I have them on 72" ws aerobatics, 1 edge and 1 katana, and on 30% work really well, but bog down on 20% and less. they certainly go better than the saito 180 I had on the edge originally. I am running 17 x 8 apc props on both and getting around 9300 on both