Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Perry vs. Cline vs. Iron Bay

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perry vs. Cline vs. Iron Bay

I have put an OS 75 AX in an old Boxer 60 pattern plane. Replaces the Hanno very nicely, but of course it is not pumped. Sure would be nice to keep the tank on CG without creating engine reliability issues. Any suggestions on these products? Should I just move the tank forward? The 75 AX is soft mounted.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Perry vs. Cline vs. Iron Mountain

to solve that problem, I have used a walbro carb with extremely good results.
The carb was fitted on the engine bearer flange, and modified so that the regulated fuel could be fed to the glow carb. On the carb regulating diaphragm I had made an exhaust pressure line.
The system behaved exactly like a system with exhaust pressure, with the tank right at the carb instead of waaaay behind the engine.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Just as a matter of interest, its worth seeing just how far you get using muffler pressure and the tank in or around it's original position.
I had a old .46FX on a CG T2 years ago. The tank was between the CG and F2. In other words outside the tank bay. Worked just fine.

If you're just not making enough pressure normally, You can also try a simple oneway valve on the muffler/pressure line.
Just make sure you observe the action first so the tank doesn't split. I've seen that used successfully on several ocsasions. It all depends on what pressure the mufflers producing and carb' draw. If you do go this route, it's worth getting a tank design to handle pressure, MK or Kavan with the steel band around the neck are both good choices.

If no-go... Just strap on a Perry.
I have both Perry and Clines. Just use whatever's available, cheapest, simplest etc.
But try as-is first. You could very well find a compromise position that works well enough.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5150 Flyer,

I think you might have meant "Iron-Bay"... not "Iron Mountain"...[X(]

Please edit your thread title accordingly. You are the one who can do this.