Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 61 SF "ABC" info needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 61 SF "ABC" info needed

anyone had or has a good experience with the 61 SF "ABC" (not ringed)?? the liner (plating) will withstand a tuned pipe? I have a NIB one that i want to put in a pattern plane, but the pelling "phantom" discourage me. thanks
(my fuel will/would be 22% all castor)
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
My Feedback: (264)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 61 SF "ABC" info needed

If your engine is going to peel, it will probably do so no matter how you decide to run it. I have two .61SF engines and the "ABC" one is just starting to peel. One tiny flake of nickle has poped off right at the top of the piston stroke.

Is there anyone out there that can chrome plate and hone an old ABN cylinder?

George Aldrich used to offer this service before his health failed him and he passed on to the great flying circle. God bless him.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: stg61abc

Does anyone have, or had, a good experience with the OS.61SF "ABC" (non-ring)?? Will the liner (plating) withstand a tuned-pipe? I have a NIB one that I want to put in a Pattern plane, but will the peeling "phantom" discourage me?
Thanks.
(my fuel will/would be 22% all castor)
STG,

I am quite sure you would be much better off, if you continues to use your Super Tigre *real* ABC engines...
Like [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV75&P=ML]this G.61[/link], for example (although it is not a 'Long-Stroke').

This OS belongs on a display shelf; not in a model where it must actually run...

FBD also posted several photos of his peeled specimens, that were run with tuned-pipes...

And the 'dude is correct. It will eventually happen, whatever you try...

Old 10-22-2008, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what's called synchronicity because only a few hours ago I was reading on SSW about the OS VF series engines which are always used with a tuned pipe and the life span for competitions (which involves a lot of practise flights) was in the order of 10-15 years with still no peeling. They do however tend to use quite a bit of castor in their fuels. And seeing Geoge Aldrich has been mentioned, this was his recommendation too for the OS ABN engines.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those old FSR and VF ABN sleeves also peeled. Only then nobody was looking for it and once discovered couldn't tell thousands of others via the internet. With a pipe the Supertigre ABCs are more powerlul than any standard port OS61 of any generation. The only ones that make more power is a Hanno or high port DF/marine versions.