Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Traxxas 3.3 question..help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas 3.3 question..help please

Hi I am brand new to nitro-as in never ever fired one up- and just took delivery of a used Revo 3.3. I wanted to inspect everything to make sure all is OK and I decided to look at the engine. I took off the glow plug and cooling head and the piston head has a deep golden brown coloration on it. is this OK? Looks like a carbon build up but i have no idea about these glow engines. Here is a picture of what I am talking about:

Old 10-31-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Traxxas 3.3 question..help please

That's fine so don't worry about it. Put it back together but snug up the head bolts a little at a time by nipping one, skip one, nip the next, skip one and so on. Each time you get back to the first screw nip it a little tighter so the head gets clamped down as evenly as possible.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:05 AM

That condition is absolutely normal - dont try to clean it. Look out for the head gasket - make sure it seats properly when clamping down the head as downunder said. Never overtighten the head screws or the glow plug - use common sense when tightning them.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 AM

Starting here: [link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=165&id=518]Traxxis support[/link]
got me to here: [link=http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/TRX33_explode.pdf]Traxxis 3.3 racing engine[/link]

The exploded diagram appears to have torque settings on it - but what is "3x12CS" ??
My objective: to get an estimate of force (say, ounces) to be exerted over a distance (say the length of your hex wrench).

Edit: I was wrong! As you will read below, these were screw thread specs and the CS referred to "cap screw". Sorry for the mis-information[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 AM

Beautiful coloration and no signs of overheating. That's good because evidenced by the soil on the engine it's no spring chicken. Possibly a-bit more lubrication in the mix. 20%?

Bill
Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque settings using an allen key. Firm pressure with fingers only, in other words don't be tempted to overdo it by wrapping your hand around the allen key and putting your foot on the engine . It's surprising how little torque is needed to get a complete seal. If you're just bashing then use a fuel with more oil than normal car fuels. It won't hurt power and the engine will last longer.

Is that an electric starter on the engine?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:43 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LeeHop...that's 3mm dia. X 12mm long Cap Screw...(or more accurately it should be SHCS or Socket Head Cap Screw )

Yep..that's a Mabuchi 370-400 class electric motor for the starter.