Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
 OS Max-H 60 GP (rear intake) question >

OS Max-H 60 GP (rear intake) question

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS Max-H 60 GP (rear intake) question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Max-H 60 GP (rear intake) question

I just picked one of these up, and I can't seem to find much info on it. I was planning on putting it on my Sig Somethin Extra, but one of the guys at the field says that it is a racing engine, and is designed to run flat out all the time, and therefore would not be a good choice. Is this true?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20602.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1197033  
Old 05-12-2009, 07:52 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS Max-H 60 GP (rear intake) question

No...it's not a racing engine...it's a nice running sport engine...drum rotor...somewhat collectable though.
Late 60's vintage...there was also a gold head version, and an .80 of similar configuration.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Somewhat collectable....didn't realize that. Collectable enough that maybe I should choose a different engine for the SE?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:09 PM

I also got a Super Tigre V .56, a Torpedo 40 rear intake, and a Fox RC 59. Any collector value on any of these?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Well... Ya never know what the market might bring. It's not super-rare... I see that you have the box, do you also have the paperwork?

It's probably about as powerful as a modern .46...it is more a torquer rather than a revver though. A 12x6 or 11x7 or thereabouts would be a good starting point for props, and an idle bar plug...low nitro fuel (5-10% ) with plenty of oil, some of it Castor. (should you decide to use it )
Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

I also got a Super Tigre V .56, a Torpedo 40 rear intake, and a Fox RC 59. Any collector value on any of these?

Yep...

If you're not really into collecting...then you might consider selling them and buying some newer designs to actually use?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that OS .60 is new in the box (never run) you will easily get enough for it to buy a brand new OS AX.46.

Your engine is ringed and will require a gallon of fuel at a rich setting to break in and you absolutely must use fuel with castor oil. If you put Cool Power through it and peak the needle on the first flight you will have ruined a true collector's item. A terrible shame.

These engines are getting harder to find. If I were you I would sell it. I don't think it's what you want in a Somethin' Extra.

David
Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM

No, it's not new. I wish it were[]
Old 05-12-2009, 09:45 PM

I think I'll probably sell it and buy something newer. I've already got the Fox 59, the Torpedo 40 rear exhaust, and the Super Tigre up for auction....don't have a single bid though, and was beginning to wonder if I'm wasting my time. If these sell ok, I may list the OS, an Irvine 61, and a Fox 60 rear exhaust. I really don't have much use for any of these, except maybe the Irvine...it seems more like a "normal" sport engine than any of the others.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 PM

My son has the 80 version of that H-60 and it's a delightful engine, starts first flick every time and runs beautifully on zero nitro fuel. As a sport engine it should definitely be a keeper. And I agree with Dave, keep the castor for a long (probably very long) life . Just because it's got a rear intake doesn't mean it's a racing engine, it's not, but there are two very neat things about the intake. The drum has two slots to drive it. One is marked R for reverse rotation. The second neat thing is that the carb can be turned through 180 degrees so if you mount the engine inverted you can point the carb the other way and don't have the problem of lowering the tank to suit because it effectively raises the carb back to the level it'd be when upright.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: rainedave

If that OS .60 is new in the box (never run) you will easily get enough for it to buy a brand new OS AX.46.

Your engine is ringed and will require a gallon of fuel at a rich setting to break in and you absolutely must use fuel with castor oil. If you put Cool Power through it and peak the needle on the first flight you will have ruined a true collector's item. A terrible shame.

These engines are getting harder to find. If I were you I would sell it. I don't think it's what you want in a Somethin' Extra.

David
I agree about the castor oil in the fuel but... I had the .80 with the Two plug head and ran it on cool power over a 15 year period and it still had compression to hand start. The drum rotor still had no discernable play in the phospher bronze bushing. Besides, the piston had a nice shiny Green coat. Another buddy of mine has it in a Senior Telemaster