Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Revive old engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revive old engines

I have an OS 48 Surpass and a Saito 65 both of which were put away improperly. This was some 20 years ago. Need less to say they are a bit gummed up now. I'd like to bring both back to life, as I am slowly returning to the hobby. Thinking that I can soak both in some fluid for a while to dissolve the gum, prior to trying to run some fuel through them. I'd rather not disassemble either motor, as I don't have a reassembly check sheet, or feeler gauges, for either. If I did have those items, I'd rather do just the opposite, and take them all the way down. Thing is, can't recall best solvent to use. I do have a couple of gallons of 2-stroke fuel, unopened, about the same vintage(lots of years old). I'm thinking this might just do the trick as a solvent only. Opinions or suggestions?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Revive old engines

The old fuel will work fine to cut the gum and free them up
Old 08-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Thanks w8ye. Thought the old fuel would do fine, but didn't want to cause more issues than my past errant ways have already created.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 AM

You will get 50 different suggestions here

The fuel will do fine to loosen the engines up

After you get them going, you will want to use an after run type oil such a Dexron (ATF), Marvel air tool oil, corrosion-X, or a specific after run oil.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Thanks. I did not intend, way back then, to just walk away, but I did, so I need to play catch up now. BTW, I opened the cases on my transmitters to see a glaring need to replace both the batteries and the connectors for the batteries. I didn't disconnect them for storage. Geez, what a lamer!!!!!!!! Then, of course, I have to clean switches and pots. All part of the fun, I guess.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM

We've all been there and done that at one time or another
Old 08-21-2010, 01:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

w8ye is correct, suggestions are endless...

I once let two engines sit about seven years. They were gummed up tight as a drum. I'd run Omega with castor in those engines. I flushed them with Green 15% Cool Power five years ago and never looked back. I've been using 15% Cool Power exclusively with all my 2 and 4 strokes ever since. I don't use after run oil.

At the start of every flying season I open up my radio and check for corrosion, particularly on the little header pins of the circuit board where the battery connector plugs in. I started checking because one year just by total luck I happened to find those circuit board battery connection posts totally corroded to the point where I just touched the plastic connector and the connector fell away from the board. Thank goodness that connector hadn't fallen off the board while flying. Anyway, that's why I now open up my radio and check every year.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ikeep old jugs of glow fuel justfor engine cleaning. Irecently had quite at task freeing up a brand new O.S 1:20 Ft. It was so gummed up from setting all those years that it felt like things were welded together.After a couple days soaking, we were able to get the crank to turn over, but the bearing cages were still froze solid so the bearings were sliding, not rolling. It took two, serval hour long, sessions in the heated ultra-sonic cleaner in a beaker of glow fuel before the bearings finally loosened up. Once I got them running around the track OK, the next session broke loose all of the grease chunks and things were well.

I would pull the back plate and then the soak the engine. That allows the fuel to get in easier and do it's job, and you can also see the condition of the bearings that way.

Don
Old 08-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Portland, Oregon. Beautiful!
Just returned from 6 weeks along the Oregon coast, all 3 areas. Wow!

Anywho.....thanks for the tips. My wife and I are doing a lot of extended time travels all over this country, and I decided that I want to bring along a couple of smaller(for me) planes, set up to convert between ground, water and snow. Hand launch when desperate! So the 20-30 lb'rs stay at home and an ACE 4-60 and a 40 sized trainer type will join us in the toad trailer. Will use 4-stroke for both convenience of fuel support and noise. Pulling a Fox 40 out of the trainer and replacing with an OS 48. 4-60 has Saito 65. I have a JR PCM10 that I will setup for both planes. I'm staying with 72MHz, have a couple of transmitter modules for channel selection. Hope to come up with a scanner to check for clear channel.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 PM

Campgems...I am removing the backplate, muffler, and valve cover. Anything else that looks like it will help get liquid into the motor. Thanks for the tip, I'll pay attention to those bearings
Old 08-21-2010, 03:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: sdad

Portland, Oregon. Beautiful!
Just returned from 6 weeks along the Oregon coast, all 3 areas. Wow!
Hi sdad,

You visited at the perfect time! From mid July through September there's no better weather on the planet than the Pacific Northwest. We get more than our share of gray days in the Winter Spring and Fall which I suppose is why we're blessed with such perfect summer weather.