Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec Service Ignored My Problem -- AGAIN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec Service Ignored My Problem -- AGAIN!!!!

I jsut received my HFP-10 Programmer back from service -- COMPLETELY DEAD; will have to open her up and connect another 4.8volt battery.
For the second time I sent my Hitec HFP-10 Programmer in for a firmware update (1.02 => 1.03; 1.03 => 1.04). For the second time I also sent a note asking them to check out why the battery won't hold a charge for more than a couple of days; this time the battery won't even take a charge. For the second time they ignored it. WHY???
Old 06-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec Service Ignored My Problem -- AGAIN!!!!

Common with the programmers, I disconnect the battery completely when not in use, it will drain the battery completely otherwise.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:47 AM
My Feedback: (61)

***edit***

Comment moved to general forum
Old 06-02-2005, 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: desertpig

There is nothing wrong with your programmer. For whatever reason (poor power circuit design or crappy battery) the batt dies after a few days.

You can fix the problem for good by converting it to externally powered:

1> Remove the end cover (where the battery is, opposite the potentiometer)
2> Remove the stock pack (4.8V NiCd 1100 mAh)
3> make a plate from 1/16 ply or FR4 (PC board material) and slide it into the extrusion, cut to size
4> Attach the battery connector with a zip tie (poke 2 small holes in the plywood)
5> Make a small hole just big enough for the battery connector to protrude through
6> Re-install the end cover and now when you go to use the programmer, plug in the charged pack you removed and it works every time

The other option - convert to a smaller 4-cell NiMh pack and install a small switch in the end plate that will cut the battery power to the PCboard. (there is no room for a switch with the std battery)

Reason for the drain --

The input circuit on the PCB draws 80-100 microamps when the switch is off - bad design! Not sure what they were thinking here. It comes down to a single component. There is a transistor or zener diode on the input probably for polarity or overvoltage protection ? Don't really know without seeing the schematic. Well, many diodes leak when reverse biased - especially zeners.. so that would explain why the battery discharges. This small circuit is energized prior to the on/off switch which I have no idea why the designer would have done that other than there was no room on the PCB for it elsewhere... (that would be my guess) ..

Oh well, we probably will never know, just externally power it with the original battery and you will never have to deal with this ANNOYING problem ever again!

DP

DP
There is couple of obvious points to be made here. WHY???? And why is Hitec not acknowledging this problem? And why did they ignore my note? And where is the Hitec rep that is supposed to answer this thread?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:27 PM
My Feedback: (31)

For the record we have acknowledged this problem. I think I even answered your question about this previously, But I may be mistaken.

The problem lies within the power routing circuit as previously disclosed. It’s a design attribute good or bad.

Don't know why your Tech didn't address your concern or inquiry. I'd contact Service and ask to speak to the Tech that handled your service order for further clarification.

The rest of you guys REMEMBER this is a Manufacturers Support Forum.... Questions are to be answered by Factory Reps ONLY!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:56 AM

Michael,

You might have given me a response on this question in the past but, this is the 1st time I've actually gotten it in those words. So Hitec acknowledges this but does not consider it a problem -- you did say it was a design attribute, which means the battery leakage over a short period of time is intentional? If it wasn't intentional that it is not a design attribute, rather it is a bug in your design that should be addressed. Seems strange that there is nothing in the instruction pamphlet that tells me to open up the case and disconnect the battery if I do not intend to use it again for a few days.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:08 PM

Hitec acknowledges the existence of the battery discharging… While it maybe an inconvenience it’s not the end of the world. I can’t say if it was intentional or not and it may well be a “BUG”. I was told there was nothing in the works for an update to eliminate the problem. If yours holds a charge for a day or two I’d suggest the battery has seen better days. I charge mine every couple weeks or so and don’t seem to have any issues with it. Hitec does not suggest opening the unit and disconnecting the battery, but realizes its viable work around for some.

As far as “design attribute” goes; I could have a used another word but it seemed to fit my understanding of the issue at hand.

n. at•tri•bute ( t r -by t )
1. A quality or characteristic inherent in or ascribed to someone or something.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: mglavin

As far as “design attribute” goes; I could have a used another word but it seemed to fit my understanding of the issue at hand.

Hi,

Great to see you guys are now in possession of a dictionary! When I asked, a while back, if someone there could define the words "obfuscation" & "conflation" in relation to an answer I got from an Optic question, I received no such erudite a reply.

CFIMEI
Old 06-05-2005, 02:39 AM

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Hitec acknowledges the existence of the battery discharging… While it maybe an inconvenience it’s not the end of the world. I can’t say if it was intentional or not and it may well be a “BUG”. I was told there was nothing in the works for an update to eliminate the problem. If yours holds a charge for a day or two I’d suggest the battery has seen better days. I charge mine every couple weeks or so and don’t seem to have any issues with it. Hitec does not suggest opening the unit and disconnecting the battery, but realizes its viable work around for some.

A design is not a someone or something.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...sign&x=14&y=13)
Main Entry: 1de·sign
Pronunciation: di-'zIn
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, to outline, indicate, mean, from Middle French & Medieval Latin; Middle French designer to designate, from Medieval Latin designare, from Latin, to mark out, from de- + signare to mark -- more at SIGN
transitive senses
1 : to create, fashion, execute, or construct according to plan : DEVISE, CONTRIVE
2 a : to conceive and plan out in the mind <he designed the perfect crime> b : to have as a purpose : INTEND <she designed to excel in her studies> c : to devise for a specific function or end <a book designed primarily as a college textbook>
3 archaic : to indicate with a distinctive mark, sign, or name
4 a : to make a drawing, pattern, or sketch of b : to draw the plans for
intransitive senses
1 : to conceive or execute a plan
2 : to draw, lay out, or prepare a design

Therefore, if it is a design attribute then the characteristic was intentionally planned into the programmer's functionality. On-the-other-hand, if it was a design BUG, then it was not intentionally planned into the programmer's functionality.

The question is real simple. Did Hitec's designers plan for the programmer's protection circuitry to bleed down the battery over a short period of time with the unit turned off? If so, you are right, it is a design attribute -- albeit a very stupid design attribute and one that should be addressed.

For an item under normal warrantee, you have an ENTIRE user community that routinely violates their warrantee (would be a violation for most manufacturers) by opening up the item to disconnect the battery.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:42 AM

OK, let’s try this.

If I’m describing the behavior of the Programmer and the resultant effect of the power routing circuitry, doesn’t it become “something”?

some•thing P Pronunciation Key (s m th ng)
pron.
An undetermined or unspecified thing:
n :
a thing of some kind.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:54 PM

Hi,

You're becoming quite the logolept. Or maybe it's a form of logolexia! There is another term, which I can't at the moment recall, but it decribes persons who affect an appearance of literacy while not fully possessing it & who reject criticism for their condition. Is it in your dictionary??

CFIMEI
Old 06-06-2005, 01:33 AM

[:-]a flippen spelling contest - what is this !!! get to the point dudes.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 AM

Moderator: I think I'm done playing useless gamees with the Hitec Support representative -- they obviously don't have a clue and don't seem to care about their customer support -- at least with this item.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:12 AM

Apparently mglavin is moderator......

If not too busy reading the dictionary, any info on my question in this thread?

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3011898]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3011898[/link]

ORIGINAL: mglavin 5/25/2005 [X(]

I'll see if I can substantiate any information in this regard. Give me a few days.