Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Spectra 2.4 blue led flash and Beep

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectra 2.4 blue led flash and Beep

When I move the channel 3 stick quickly from one endpoint to the other the blue led on the Spectra 2.4 module flashes, beeps and the servo seems to stutter. It soes not happen on ch 1
What does this mean and why is happening and what can be done ?

Info:
* used in my sailboat - only 2 channels 1 and 3 - Ch 1 for rudder and Ch 3 for sail winch
* TX is Hitec Optic 6 with Spectra 2.4 module ( #29412 combo )

* RX is Optima 7

I have used TX succesfully for several years with Spectra 72 synthesizer and recently purchased the 2.4 ghz module. I have had many glitches on the water.

Bob
Old 06-11-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spectra 2.4 blue led flash and Beep

ORIGINAL: ballan When I move the channel 3 stick quickly from one endpoint to the other the blue led on the Spectra 2.4 module flashes, beeps and the servo seems to stutter. It soes not happen on ch 1 What does this mean and why is happening and what can be done ?
Info: * used in my sailboat - only 2 channels 1 and 3 - Ch 1 for rudder and Ch 3 for sail winch * TX is Hitec Optic 6 with Spectra 2.4 module ( #29412 combo ) * RX is Optima 7 I have used TX succesfully for several years with Spectra 72 synthesizer and recently purchased the 2.4 ghz module. I have had many glitches on the water. Bob
Warningthat the winch servo is drawing more current than the battery pack can handle forefficient operation.
For standard winch servo, if using typical 4 cell AAbattery box, terminals could be corroded or batteries are less than good alkaline cells or sufficiently charged NiCd/NiMH.
If using a RMG or similar servo, your pack is on the way out.
refer
LED Status Card<font size="1">. Digital .pdf copy which can be printed and inserted as a page in manual or extra cards made.

<span style="font-size: x-small">Aurora A9, Spectra Pro &amp; Optima - FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. </span></font>{Individual Links often updated}
<font size="1">
</font><span style="font-size: x-small">Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links</span>
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 PM

I have used the same battery pack in my other boats with Spektrum Dx6 TX RX and Hobby King TX RX without any problems. Does the Hitec RX draw more current ? Is there a setting or wiring that will prevent this from happening?
Bob
Old 06-11-2010, 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: ballan I have used the same battery pack in my other boats with Spektrum Dx6 TX RX and Hobby King TX RX without any problems. Does the Hitec RX draw more current ? Is there a setting or wiring that will prevent this from happening? Bob
<span style="color: #333300">" have used the same battery pack in my other boats with Spektrum Dx6 TX RX and Hobby King TX RX without any problems"
</span><span style="">Those systems do not have telemetry and do not provide user with a warning that the battery pack voltage is being pulled low with possiblity of a brownout.
At this time the setting is not user adjustable. However, if RX is powered via the SPCport, you will not receive any warning of servo power battery (similar to your other systems) battery voltage dips.

<font color="#22229c">Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC</font> - SPC connection &amp; Lead Detailed plus Optima Current Draw/Amps

Regards
Alan T.
</span>

Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Hi Bob,

If the problem is related to the heavy drain on the battery caused by the RMG servo, can you validate this problem by temporarily using seperate battery packs - one for the RMG Servo and another for the Receiver. Since you are supplying the RMG Servo with its own power you may only need to feed a the signal wire from the receiver to the RMG servo.

If this works, you may want to install batteries with higher capacity or go with the 2 battery pack system but use a a samller batttery pack (4 AAAs) for the receiver/rudder.

Maybe we can get some opinions from others if this work or is it necessary to connect the signal (yellow/orange) and negative (black/brown) between the receiver and RMG servo and leave out the positive wire in the centre (red)?

Good luck,

Victor

Old 06-12-2010, 03:47 PM

I tried a fully charged 2 cell LIPO and all worked well. The Hitec Optima RX must be more sensitive them the Spektrum Rx
Old 06-12-2010, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: victor.wong Hi Bob, If the problem is related to the heavy drain on the battery caused by the RMG servo, can you validate this problem by temporarily using seperate battery packs - one for the RMG Servo and another for the Receiver. Since you are supplying the RMG Servo with its own power you may only need to feed a the signal wire from the receiver to the RMG servo. If this works, you may want to install batteries with higher capacity or go with the 2 battery pack system but use a a samller batttery pack (4 AAAs) for the receiver/rudder. Maybe we can get some opinions from others if this work or is it necessary to connect the signal (yellow/orange) and negative (black/brown) between the receiver and RMG servo and leave out the positive wire in the centre (red)? Good luck, Victor
Victor perhaps you know Bob and his set up. Being unaware as to which winch servois installed, type/size of battery pack &amp; connections, nor the model, previous responses were general rather than specific . <span style="font-size: smaller">(Set up relative to size does make a difference, having owned/sailing footies, Victoria, 1m &amp;Marbleheads).
</span>If in fact there is a winch servo which supplies power via BEC to RX, then somewag/jitter on start up may well be experienced, refer
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Servo Wag When RX Turned On Reason &amp; Prevention of Servo Wag <font size="1">(especially when switching on some ESC) </font>.
Any yacht using an RMG, Whirlwind or similar winch servoto which battery is connected and that unit supplies power via BEC to RX should still have the red lead connected to an Optima as that will power both servos as normal. The lead plugged into the SPC port powers the receiver only and supplies no power to the servo side of the board as per: Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC - SPC connection &amp; Lead Detailed.
[Suggest in this scenarioSPC port be supplied bya small (500&lt; mah2S-3SLipo or 5 cellNiMH/NiCD pack AAA or AE size OK.]

Rereading original post, <span style="color: #993300">"recently purchased the </span><span style="color: #993300">2.4 ghz</span><span style="color: #993300"> module. I have had many glitches on the water." </span>was unanswered.
This is very common locally withSpektrum DSM type systems which use only two channels and signal can not pass through and is shielded by other boats/masts etc and perhaps that is why all their marine FAQ and applications refer only to racing GP/EP boats which operate in less crowded/blocked scenarios, yachts are not mentioned.As2.4GHz signal does not travel well at low level, particularily over wet ground/water,AFHSS will be effectedbut to alesser extent, an example of lower blocking effect is evidenced:
Aurora A9 Telemetry - Range test Using Segway &amp; GPS - Video <font size="1">- Demonstrates remarkable 2100+ft not only through large obstacles but also with Heli sitting in ground effect. - </font><span style="color: #993300"><font size="1">This would be different/less rangeover water unless operator is on a tall stand.</font>
</span>
Still researching a better solution for yachts, Hitec also offer
Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS Module #28724 - not for use with Optima RX / aircraft
Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS Module and Atom 3 RX Manual - for Surface use only assimilar toDSM, DSSS has limitations with yachts.

<span style="font-size: smaller">Aurora A9, Spectra Pro &amp; Optima - FAQ &amp; Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}</span>

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

PS: Post #6 was not visible when this post added, glad matter resolved.
Battery voltage dipsare often the cause of unexplained problems, now more visible with Optima's Telemetry.
(Few batteries used/unusedhave a shelf life of more than 3 years).
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 AM

A.T.
What an amazing resource you are..

My 2 boats

Soling with Hitec 815B  sail winch -  5 cell NiMH 2600 MAH  no problems with Spektrum DX 6 TX and  RX AR3000 ,  set up with Y connector
                                                       with Hitec Optic 6 and Spectra 2.4 the dreaded flashing blue light but not as serious as IOM

IOM with RMG 280D sail winch -  5 cell NiMH 2600 MAH  new, fully charged ,  set up though RMG
no problems with  Tx Hitec Optic 6  , Spectra 72 synthesizer and RX Spectra 72 synthesizer
 with TX Hitec Optic 6 and Spectra 2.4 , servo wag, RMG goes into programming mode ,  I have installed the pulser but the connection will not hold
weight is an issue so basically I guess it's LIPO or different TX / RX

Anyhow
Thank you for your help
Bob

<br type="_moz"/>