Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Went to LHS to see what I can get....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to LHS to see what I can get....

Hi. Well today I went to both of my LHS one is an actual LHS (Lakeland Hobbies) and the other is a 97% craft/3% RC store hahaha (Kays crafts and hobbies)... Anyway we went to Lakeland Hobbies to see what they have (never been there before), very small shop but okay none-the-less. So I went in with my $255 hahaha looking to buy an R/C. So I walked around and saw that they had some Nitro R/C's. (I live in Canada, so CANADIAN PRICES!) One was an HPI Savage 25- $629.99 , another was an HPI Nitro RS4 MT 2 (A.K.A. Nitro MT 2 or Nitro RS4)- $489.99 , They didn't really have anything else worth buying (had a micro car, forget what it was called, its a car though- $299.99 (no way!))... My mom (im only 14 haha) was saying that the Mini-T is soooooooooo small and not worth $200 and what not... And saying that I shouldn't get a Nitro blah blah blah (you know moms...) Because I was going to buy a Mini-T from Kays... I was explaining everything to my parents about Nitro and Electric and the mini-t etc... Anyway!...
I WAS going to buy a Team Losi Mini-T from Kays Crafts and Hobbies (had none in stock, had to be ordered- $199.99). He also had an EK4! AMAZING! .75 Cubic Inches! Single-speed tranny because a 2-speed just won't hold up! HUGE MASSIVE ENGINE IN IT! (Like $1200 by the time you get everything you need). He had a EB4 (1/8th scale nitro buggy) (about $750) sittin beside it w/o the body on... I think it was a .18ci engine in it. Well it was sooooooooo tiny compared to the HUGE FRIKIN .75 in the EK4!!!!!!! TRULY AMAZING TRUCK!.... Anyway they had nothing at Kays Crafts and Hobbies besides some electric F1's and some battle tanks, etc... (everything had to be oredered). I was talking to the guy about Nitro vs. Electric because my parents were asking questions....... We both were explaining the pros and cons of electric to my parents (like expenses, batteries, charger, etc... for electric which does cost alot, and nitro, etc... for the nitro cars, and that they both cost pretty well the same when u factor in all the stuff). My mom said she didn't want me to get the Mini-T (too small, not worth $200, electric, not very powerful,) An that it costs a just as much with the batteries and stuff,PLUS you had to chrage,cool off, etc.. all the batteries... blah blah blah........... So my parents said that I should probably save some more and get a Nitro, way way way more worth it! I was really happy! (haahaha)... Probably the HPI Nitro RS4 MT 2 because it was cheaper than the Savage 25, etc... So she said yeah you can get it... just save some more and its yours.... So I have $255 right now then i get more money next week (my mom owes me) then ill have $300 soooo yeah.........Now I can't wait to get it! (hahahah my new neighbors probably won't be too happy hahahahahaha) AWESOME! Yeah........... So what do u guys think??????
Old 08-12-2004, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Went to LHS to see what I can get....

idk if u realized this but ur in a hpi savage forum[&:]
but still good luck AND NICE MOM!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 PM

Actually it is an "HPI Monster Truck Forum" and techically the HPI Nitro RS4 MT 2 (Monster Truck 2) is a Monster Truck.... lol Thanks though man.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:47 PM

damn i never realized that it wus a monster truck forum all that time i thought it wus a savage forum [X(]
Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 PM

Ah oh well... lol Yeah it's probably because the only thing that's "almost" ever posted is about the Savage....
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 PM

yeah lol
Old 08-12-2004, 09:42 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: TJ31

Actually it is an "HPI Monster Truck Forum" and techically the HPI Nitro RS4 MT 2 (Monster Truck 2) is a Monster Truck.... lol Thanks though man.
Actually it is not an MT, it is a truggy, which is actually in the same class as stadium trucks only it is 4wd. So technically it belongs in the ST forums. If you want a better basher you would do better with the Savage though. Just be patient and save more $$.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:45 PM

yea!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:01 PM

Actually, I don't bash a whole lot.... I do but I don't heheh.

And it really is like a monster truck! I know its should be in the ST forum but it isn't so......
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 PM

what kind of terrain will you be driving in mostly? i'd hate to see you lie to yourself about what kind of vehicle you really want.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:22 PM

Okay okay..... Maybe I would be better off just saving a little more and buying a Savage 25! it suits me better than an ST would, even though the MT2 is 4WD.... I think I should just save up the $629.99 for the Savage...... I'll probably be happier in the end!

What do you think?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:47 PM

there ya go
good man!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:24 PM

Yeah..... I'm goin to get the Savage 25 then! YEAH!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:25 PM
My Feedback: (3)

You'll be much happier if you get what you really want even if you do have to wait.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:26 PM

haha, i now have no off road nitro's because i thought the mt2 was what i wanted (probably because it was cheaper) and sold it already. now i'm stuck deciding on a tnx, lst or savage.....oh and saving more money. good luck to you though!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:19 PM

Yeah you guys are right.... I WAS going to save up for a Savage 25 in the first place (while ago). But then I thought hmmmm.... Toooooo long to save up for it. So I thought I'd go for an ST (the MT2) And now I'm thinking that I wouldn't be as happy as would be if I had nought the Savage 25... They are by far my favorite Nitro R/C! So if I'm going to buy one, I may as well buy the one I want. That way I will have no regrets and I won't want something else! And I guess I can wait to get it... It won't be toooooooooooooo loooooooooooooong I hoooooooooooooope!

Thanks guys!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:51 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

Actually it is not an MT, it is a truggy, which is actually in the same class as stadium trucks only it is 4wd. So technically it belongs in the ST forums. If you want a better basher you would do better with the Savage though. Just be patient and save more $$.
Actually, it is not a truggy! Truggies are Buggies with longer suspension and monster truck wheels and tires. Ever look at eh the GS Storm? Everything about it screams buggy. If you take the wheels and shocks off what do you have? To be correct, you have to compare it to the RS4 3 Evo. Take the wheels and the shocks off what do you have? An RS4 3 Evo platform, besides the extended a-arms specifically for the bigger tires and shocks. But it has the same layout as a T-maxx ( bad choice of comparison, lol), just add even longer shocks and even bigger tires and it would be the same thing. For the most part TJ31 is correct. MT does stand for monster truck, but the MT2 is on the smaller scale, 1/10. The MT2 has a little brother ( Nitro Rush) covering the ST class, so it is not a Stadium Truck. Stadium trucks are 2WD not 4WD. If you ever want to hear a T-maxxer shut up, tell them to stick to their own scale class to race. Never one of them has claimed to blow the doors off a MT or a MT2 have they??? All that being said, TJ31, you'll be better off just saving for the Savage. I have a close friend who bought a MT2 because it was cheaper to buy and he didn't want to "jump right in" the RC scene. For the most part he is happy with his purchase until we bash together. When he sees my Savage in action, he begins to regret buying the MT2 over and over again. I know eventually I'll stop getting calls from him to go out and run with each other, lol, until he gets his 1/8 scale monster truck. So my advice to you would be to wait and save until you have enough. You will be happy you did. The MT2 is a good second truck to have but a pebble in comparison to a Savage. IMO, stay away from Mini-Ts. Most people who do have them, are getting rid of them, they are not practical in my eyes.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:18 PM

THANK YOU FOR CLEARING THAT UP! And yeah i figured I'd end up regretting buying the MT2! So the only Nitro R/C for me is the Savage 25! Thanx Blackjaxx360!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:45 PM

Hey man,
im from canada too. (newfoundland) and i got a savage about 1.5months ago. my lhs is very small and had to order it for me but it was only $589+tax...so not too bad compared to waht they are charging you. shop around and i think you can get a better deal then that. factor in i had to spend about and extra $200 to get up and running and that was spent on the following

-gallon of nitro =$34.99
-nickel metal 7.2v battery pack and charger for rotostart =$60
-12aa (i bought 24batteries for an extra set)1.5v aklaline rechargables and charger for radio and truck = $50
-locktite=$5
-extra glow plug =$7
-glow plug rench=$8
-fuel bottle for filling truck=$8
and maybe the following if you dont' have them but are definately neccessary.
-if you don't have them some basic tools like neddlenose plyers, rench screw drivers etc etc
goodluck and i know u will like the savage its an awesome nitro MT.

ps when you can afford it pick up a ribbed tuned hpi pipe its awesome. much better then the crap that comes stock on it. and make sure you put locktite on all the screws that are in the chassis, i have lost a couple now because of vibration before i put locktight on them

-
Old 08-13-2004, 07:11 PM

Okay, thanks man. One thing that I really hate about the Savage is the ROTO START! PAIN IN THE @$$ TO GET THE 7.2v BATTERY + CHARGER AND TO CARRY IT AROUND WITH YOU! AARGH! I WISH THEY WOULD COME STOCK WITH PULL-START! But oh well....... Uh oh... this is really going to cost a hell of alot for the Savage 25!

Truck- $629.99 without tax (ouch!)
Fuel- $35/gallon
7.2v battery and charger for stupid rotostart- $50-$60
Fuel bottle- around $10
Another Glow Plug- $7
Loctite- $5
12 AA batteries dammit!- uhhh about $20? I think
And glow plug wrench- Is there anything else I can use? Like a socket wrench/screwdriver? Because we have sooooooooooo many tools! SOOOOO MANY!

Total: Around $800! HOLY @#$%!

Okay now the HPI Nitro RS4 MT2:

Truck- 489.99
Fuel- $35/gallon
Fuel bottle- around $10
Another Glow Plug- $7
Loctite- $5
And glow plug wrench- Is there anything else I can use? Like a socket wrench/screwdriver? Because we have sooooooooooo many tools! SOOOOO MANY!

Total: Around $620 or so...

JEEZ THIS IS A HARD DECISION! I GUESS MAYBE I'LL DECIDE SOONER OR LATER?!?!?!
Ordering online just isn't an option! It has to be from my LHS! I wish they weren't so expensive!

OH WAIT! They have a Monster GT at the one LHS here... I'm pretty sure it was the MGT! It was like $650 or something........ what about that??????????????
Old 08-13-2004, 07:19 PM

well if u get a savage ss it comes with pullstart but u g2 buy a new radio so the cheapest way is get a savage 25 then but a pullstart and sell ur rotostart so u wont have 2 buy the battery and i use my igniter to take my plug out
Old 08-13-2004, 07:20 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Okay, thanks man. One thing that I really hate about the Savage is the ROTO START! PAIN IN THE @$$ TO GET THE 7.2v BATTERY + CHARGER AND TO CARRY IT AROUND WITH YOU! AARGH! I WISH THEY WOULD COME STOCK WITH PULL-START! But oh well....... Uh oh... this is really going to cost a hell of alot for the Savage 25!

Truck- $629.99 without tax (ouch!)
Fuel- $35/gallon
Fuel bottle- around $10
Another Glow Plug- $7
Loctite- $5

Total: Around $800! HOLY @#$%!

Okay now the HPI Nitro RS4 MT2:

Truck- 489.99
Fuel- $35/gallon
Fuel bottle- around $10
Another Glow Plug- $7
Loctite- $5

Total: Around $620 or so...

JEEZ THIS IS A HARD DECISION! I GUESS MAYBE I'LL DECIDE SOONER OR LATER?!?!?!
Ordering online just isn't an option! It has to be from my LHS! I wish they weren't so expensive!

OH WAIT! They have a Monster GT at the one LHS here... I'm pretty sure it was the MGT! It was like $650 or something........ what about that??????????????
As much as I hate to mention it, you might be better of getting one used from RCU or EBay. If cost is that much of an issue, then getting one used would be a better option. If you get one used at about $250-$300 then worst case scenario would be you need an engine which a stock one will cost you about $100. Seems better to me. You would come out cheaper. As long as you buy some other stuff from the LHS, I'm sure they would be willing to help you out with it. MGTs are good trucks but are mostly set up for racing. Not as durable as the Savage, but faster and lighter. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:24 PM

NO! For one thing I will not order online.... And im not buying used online! And I don't think I can find any used ones around here....If i could find them here then thats a whole nother story.......... I'm not being ignorant or anything just saying..
Old 08-14-2004, 11:57 AM

Mention that you could get it cheaper from Tower Hobbies. I've saved a good bit of change by doing that at my LHS. They match Tower's price then tack on a few bucks to make up for what I would pay for shipping.