Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
 New to the Savage, Need help with Adjustments! >

New to the Savage, Need help with Adjustments!

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New to the Savage, Need help with Adjustments!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Savage, Need help with Adjustments!

Hey guys, Im actually making this post for a friend of mine. He just recently got his savage and is still working out on getting the tuneing perfect. He has decent low end and great high end. The tranny shifts smoothly for him. We wanted to find a way to get more snap out of the truck. Its close to pulling the front tires of the ground. Are there any other adjustments we could make maybe to the spur or clutch to give it more pop off the line? of so please explain!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 03:12 PM

Default RE: New to the Savage, Need help with Adjustments!

when i got my savage i had 2 tighten the spur because after about 5 min of bashing it got very hot and span almost freely, but now ive tightend it i can pull wheelies almost every time

try it
Old 09-15-2004, 03:16 PM

Ill have him check it again, But he thinks its already tighten down all the way.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:55 PM

the spur gear/slipper clutch should be 1/8th turn loose from all the way tight... it has to slip a tiny bit to take up some of the shock load on the tranny after a jump.... if you leave it all the way tight you wills trip spur gears every time out! and taking the engine out to swap the spur is not all that much fun...

If you have a new truck, run about a gallon of fuel through it before you expect it to wheelie, the engine loosens up a bit after a good few runs and will produce more power.

if you still have a stock pipe or air filter, wheelies are much less likely (I have the hpi high performance filter, and the tsais badboy side pipe), but you can have some joy by rolling foreward, squeezing the break to load up the front suspension then jamming the throttle - this should get the front wheels up.

the stock tires are very heavy, replacing these with lighter ones will help wheelieing.

The stock gearing is quite high as well. with the 15/49 gearing of stock, most people have problems wheelieing. I have fitted a larger 52t spur (get one when the tight slipper strips the spur you have..it will at all the way tight!) and with the other upgrades it will have my 1gal S25 wheelieing frm standstill at will! soem swear by 14/52 gearing for wheelie heaven.

other tricks for getting the front up include, a bigger engine, moving the fuel tank to the rear bumper, putting a rock on the rear bumper, removing the front diff to make the truck RWD, putting extra spacers on ther rear shocks, putting harder springs on the rear shocks, putting heavier oil in the rear shocks.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:45 PM

thanks man!