Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage sucks big time

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: savage sucks big time

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

Free beer for all!!! And all-you-can-eat peanuts !!!!!!!

I'll take a pitcher of beer and a bucket full of peanuts.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: silverman1

Why do some of you feel the need to defend the savage? He just says his is a piece of crap, but look how many of you guys got good savages, so he is having trouble try to help him. You guys know the savage has been a great truck for most of you so don't let what he says get you pissed. Maybe he got the lemon, maybe he can't tune or tone as well as you guys id try to help the guy, but if his complaining bothers you don't read the thread and let it bring you down.

As Dr. PHil would say Now>>>>>

more beer please!!

Maybe if he had asked his questions instead of saying it's a piece of crap maybe he would have gotten some help. Who wants to help a person that talks crap about a truck that most people have success with? And he never really asked for help anyways so how do you answer a question that was never asked?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:13 AM

hell live in michigan and grass is no problem exspecially when every winter i run it in the snow. The savvy is definately one of the best mts on the market, i've even beatin a revo in every kinda race u can think of, so don't go sayin the revo is the best and everything, hpi came out with metal spur gears as a "hop-up" which means the stock ones are fine and they are to be used as an upgrade for extreme bashers. also if u think if they come out with metal parts because the stock ones blow explain the al arms, shock towers, shocks, etc. u are wrong and u obviosly don't no wat ur talkin about maybe u should stick to planes or even try gettin into boats.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:15 AM

this is great!! mine is on 3rd gallon, 4.6 and only user errors caused broken parts.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 PM

You should check out O.S. new engine. It is .30 and they claim 3 H.P.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:29 PM

ive had 2 savages in my time i never had a problem with them i just did the truckzilla conversion and i still dont have any problems maybe the savage you had is just flawed frome the factory or maybe you are doing somthing wrong give the savage another shot
Old 12-20-2005, 03:48 PM

*Walks in and gets hit by some flying peanuts from 'mayhem maniac'. Retaliates by picking up his soda and throws it at him.*
Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 AM

this melting problem happened to my spur gear also. i am ordering new ones online. should i go ahead with the steal spur gears or should i just get a bunch of plastic ones and keep replacing it? how much of a change would happen when going from a 49 tooth spur to a 52 tooth spur?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:19 AM

Glad I found this place and this thread..

I have a Savage for about 8 months. I must say its not what I though it would be. So far, 2 gas tanks, 4 spur gears, 1 engine mount/hardware, both front and rear diffs thanks to hpi only putting 2 bevel gears in there(I have had electric touring cars with better and stronger diffs). Suspension sucks, shocks are crap, Really Really Hard to work on this thing, really top heavy.
My impression of this truck?? Its going on ebay after the New Year.

Im sorry, I understand many people have had better luck, but I have to say, I have been around R/C cars for 20 years and I have never had a bigger peice of crap. The SAVAGE gets a BIG thumbs down. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TRUCK.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:44 AM

compared to an fg, savage is to much freaking $$$$$$
Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 PM

i beat the $&^$ out of my savage and still going strong had to get a new motor but i only got 8 ga through the stock motor
the only thing that sucks is the Radio yes it does suck.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:16 PM

Like wise I must be TONE deaf as well. I can TUNE fairly well. And, if the gear MESH isn't right you will end up with MISH as in MISH-MASH. I'm new to the Savage and still dialing in all the fine tweaks and clicks and such, but when dealing with a high performance item, you have to. Wouldn't it be nice if they just came off of the shelf at the LHS and magically ran right, all of the time, regardless of air temp, humidity and altitude? Not happening. Get out the screw drivers and mini wrenches and prepare to learn and listen. I am sorry to hear that for whatever reason, Bryston did have a bad experience with His Savage. I'm looking forward to lots of fun with my boys and their trucks and my Savage 25 LE. Happy New Year to all RC enthusiasts!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:22 AM

*walks in with pizza and beer

I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

I just got my very first RC about a week ago - Savvage SS 4.6.

I did my homework BEFORE settling on a brand, and then I did more homework BEFORE settling on a model.

The only thing that is going to separate me from the original poster is that I am able to read and think logically.

I guess if someone wants a monster truck to fall out of the box and work 100% at all times, then they need to go to Toys R Us and get one of those $50 trucks and stay away from the LHS that carries the $500 ones.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:27 AM

I'm too a newbie at nitro I got my first car (EVER) for Xmas and its a Savvy 25, and I'm only 14 so I know I have LOTs more to learn and about my savage and nitro cars thats why I took it to my LHS and asked for help, unlike someone else in here who just keeps on nagging and nagging... *coughs* I have watched my friends drive their trucks (one has a savage 25, and another has a revo) and they take their cars off of their 2 story roofs and roll them down giant hills. The savage has taken all the abuse but the revo breaks. My point is that theres NO WAY what your saying can be true, the savage is designd very well, you must have gotten one bad apple out of, I dunno 1500.

Ohh yea I finally got around to breakin it in and tuning it today, I CANT WAIT TILL TOMORROW WHEN I CAN DRIVE IT WOOHOO!!

SAVAGE RULES!! -DRCHEEZIT
Old 12-29-2005, 07:45 PM

sry dude but i dont even know why this thread was made in the first place learn how to treat your truck like a baby if you run it right youll be maintaining it more then youll be drivng it lol
but i like to work on cleaning and maintaining as much as driving so no big thing for me i dont like the stock motor though but it took submerging it in water (roll over ditch ) to kill it and it still ran nother 3/4 gal till the end of crank (back) cracked dont think i got all the water out lol and why the hell would you want to run on grass anyway i mean i have maybe 3/4 gal worth of grass on mine but grass sucks dude find better terrain to run on why would you want to purposly bog your truck down ? spur gears just have to be set right less all you do is run on grass then i could see maybe losing one or two but not like that tranny was good but i had metal shavings in mine from break in if i didnt notice it it woulda trashed it havent heard similar story yet so still wondering why it did it figure just break in but im not going to chat all day on this savage rules most like a real monster truck that ive seen for 1/8 scale so far hellfire looks okay but when my savages done ill have just as much money into it if i got a hellfire and i dont like the shocks so im sticking with this but belive me ive trashed mine at first but you learn to take care of them lucky it was built so good or id but up **** creek without a paddle lol later
Old 12-29-2005, 10:18 PM

today I was messing with my friends revo, my savage and mx s maxx. I hate to say it but the savage just isnt what its craxked up to be. Its terribly hard to work on( but so is my maxx). Its differentials ARE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! The TVP's seem to get tweaked alot. And the throttle linkage is way below par.........the revo was still pretty hard to work on....I actually still like my s maxx out of all 3. It seems to be the most reliable.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:35 PM

so what if its hard to work on man can you slam into a post at 20 + mph and still have the savage stand up and keep running try it i did my friend wouldnt even try it with his tmaxx man so if you want easy guess go for traxxas but if you want something that takes time and is built to take a beating then go for the savage and it cost 7 bucks 14 if you want both brake and throttle mod done im not doing mine like the posts i see im pretty sure i can do it easier without all the drilling and crap already got the throttle mod done without any of that and ive never had any trouble with my diffs alright for stock but am upgrading mine already came with the 4 diff mod so there you go again just a matter of money and how good you want your truck to perform man hands down my sav will smoke the tmaxx my friends got and we both got about 1k into them so i guess its just a matter of experience and useage i dont go for 50 feet jumps and crap anyway its a monster truck not a flying machine ill jump but some people just go crazy and then complain how the stuffs junk cuss it couldnt take a 50 foot jump and take a landing but it will never stop people complaining i mean so i say just drive what you got and love it you picked it so you shoulda known something about before you got it...sry little buzzed and get sick of hearing so much crap both ways tmaxx is still good too just got to know how to treat each one but i will say mine will take a crash much better then a tmaxx but enough from me user preference will always prevail peace out
Old 12-30-2005, 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bryston

i thought this is a good truck,, but here it goes,
i had it for about 4 month and about 4 gallon of fuel, and yes i know how to tone engines:
1- engine failed at 1 gallon, carb getting loose from engine. poor design. i ended up buying 4.6
2- the clutch system is half engineered, gone through alot of spur gear to the point where am using new one evrey second tank. the truck will run ok on dirt , but when you run on some grass its gone
3- new transmission on the second tank, then i found about the problem with first gear, again poor design
4-few one way bearings, no i dont flood the engine it just happened
5-very poor radio box
so why do pepole recommend this truck? i talk pepole out of it, the revo is way better, verey good design, at least you can run through few tanks before taking it a part, savage will not run for 3 tanks without taking it a part. thanks

sorry to hear about your misfortune,
I haven't seen or have had any major issues with both my savages.
Sounds like you just got a bum truck with a spill of bad luck.
could happen to anyone.

fix it and move on
Besides working on our trucks is 40% of the hobby [>:]
Old 12-30-2005, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Polar_Bus

i thought this is a good truck,, but here it goes,
i had it for about 4 month and about 4 gallon of fuel, and yes i know how to tone engines:
1- engine failed at 1 gallon, carb getting loose from engine. poor design. i ended up buying 4.6
2- the clutch system is half engineered, gone through alot of spur gear to the point where am using new one evrey second tank. the truck will run ok on dirt , but when you run on some grass its gone
3- new transmission on the second tank, then i found about the problem with first gear, again poor design
4-few one way bearings, no i dont flood the engine it just happened
5-very poor radio box
so why do pepole recommend this truck? i talk pepole out of it, the revo is way better, verey good design, at least you can run through few tanks before taking it a part, savage will not run for 3 tanks without taking it a part. thanks

"1- engine failed at 1 gallon, carb getting loose from engine. poor design. i ended up buying 4.6"

The S25 is NOT a poor design. The carb mounting is no different than the 4.6 engine you just bought, or any other nitro engine out there. You simply ignored the fact that the carb was loosening up, instead of figuring out why. OPERATOR ERROR.

"2- the clutch system is half engineered, gone through alot of spur gear to the point where am using new one evrey second tank. the truck will run ok on dirt , but when you run on some grass its gone"

The clutch system is NOT "half engineered" Thousands of us use the stock S25 clutch setup without ANY issues. The #1 reason clutches fail is excessive dirt and oil soaking the internal parts causing the shoes to slip and overheat. If you are stripping spurs every other tank, you have a serious issue somewhere else. I have trashed 3 spurs in 3 years, all from my own fault.

"3- new transmission on the second tank, then i found about the problem with first gear, again poor design"

Again THOUSANDS of us have high powered Savages using a completely stock tranny. Mine is 3 years old, and never had a single problem. An awesome reliable design by HPI.

"4-few one way bearings, no i dont flood the engine it just happened"

One way bearings rarely break. Clean the unburned nitro oil/dirt residue off yours it will work like new.

"5-very poor radio box"

I agree, it would be nice it it were bigger.

So dont come in here bashing the poop out of a Savage until you learn how to tune, and maintain a high powered nitro MT. Everything happens for a reason. A Savage simply doesn't break for no reason. Your Savage is breaking from ignorance, lack of understanding, and lack of day to day maintenence. Instead of ranting how a Savage sucks, ask questions WHY, and there is always a simple answer.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo!

Munches whats left of the stale old popcorn... ..

Tweedy Bird
Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 PM

does anyone of you run it on grass? if you dont there is no point to talk about it. the truck will not run on grass for a long time with a 4.6.
1- yes there is a problem with the first gear , this why HPI came up with a heavy duty replacement, and i think there is a post on this site with pics about the problem.e
2- i used a alum. clutch shoe , did not help that much, as a mater of fact was worse on the grass since it grips to tight and stresses the spur gear. but it works fine on dirt roads
3- i have no problem tunning the engine, rc cars not my main thing, tons of plane engines
4-finaly , why did HPI came out with metal spur gear if the plastic one are ok?
[1] I use to run mine on everything god made on this green earth, including tall grass, and the truck tore through it like it was late for a date. With the old NS 25, definately with the sirio .27, and for damn sure with the new OS .30 vg.

[2] Never ever had a tranny issue until I started messing with "orginal" stock 2 speed tranny on the second year, I messed up my settings so bad I eventually just replaced it with a 3 speed still have the old tranny, nothing wrong with it, just needs to be rebuilt and set correctly *USER ERROR*

[3] With any savage if properly built and checked, stock.. you should not have any terrain issues, unless of course your trying to climb boulders, houses, or any large in-animate objects.

[4] Only upgraded to the standard 3 shoe clutch, nothing big, just went from stock 2 to 3 shoes, no alum hoohaa. With the sirio .27 I've replaced the shoes once under normal maintainance. No problems.

[5] Tuning is an art, and takes hands on practice. Just because you get a motor running, and moving it around the track, yard, field, wherever you are running, doesn't mean its correctly tuned. I'm not saying you don't know how to tune, but the way you describe your engine troubles it sounds like you have little experience when it comes to tuning. (sometimes less is more)

[6] Durability, under the stress of the more powerful powerplants. friction issues. Marketing. etc. etc.
I've run plastic and metal and likem both, prefer plastic though, cheaper, easy to replace etc.

Periodic maintanance or what my buds and I refer to as preventative maintanance is key to any good truck.

I was reading earlier and this guy wrote about how he uses the off season to maintain his trucks, upgrades, rebuilds, etc. which I'm pretty sure the majority of us out there does.

I check over my truck from top to bottom, all of the parts, screws and bolts that are accessable, before each run day, even by mid day I find myself flipping the truck around checking odds and ends making sure everything is secure and fuctioning, its all part of the routine that i think you need to get into and focus on more.

Cheers, and good luck, we are all here to help if you ask, or use the search feature, the majority of major issues with the savage have all been beat to death I'd say here at RCUniverse.com

Tweedy Bird