Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.
View Poll Results: A poll
buy savage x ss 4.6
56.00%
keep savage x
36.00%
sell x and wait 4 something better
8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

got a savage x should i get the x ss 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a savage x should i get the x ss 4.6

im in a dilemma, i bought a savage x a couple of weeks ago and the x ss 4.6 is out, its like ive been mesmorised by it. wot do u think i should do sell my x and get the x ss or keep it? need help!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68122.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	528845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27983.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	528846  
Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM

Default RE: got a savage x should i get the x ss 4.6

I say keep both. I bought my X about 8 months ago and now I'm looking for another MT. I like the XSS, and kit is even better.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:12 PM

u bought the x - welcome - ur just joined the team of hpi Guinea Pigs - thats what we are, the ones who bought the x - without any hesitation, i can tell u to sell the x and go for something else like the 4.6 kit

the X ss 4.6 looks promising but thats what most thought about the X when it was coming out as it was advertised nicely - no doubt many will purchase the x ss4.6 as it seems like a much improved version of the x - but i dont think i ll buy it straight away - i ll wait for the users review before i pruchase it - u never know where else they messed up
Old 09-23-2006, 12:16 PM

They also dont show the new products in the X SS video. Does this mean that they dont even have faith enough in the X SS for the new parts to be put in the video!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, my name is Patrick and I'm an HPI guinea pig.....

Steve, I also have a new X, and I'm one step ahead of you - my X auction on ebay ends at midnight... I'm not saying you should sell it - just that I hate the X and am selling mine.. I'm %110 with ViperX on this one - my trust in HPI has REALLY been shaken - so even though they SAY they've fixed the X flaws - I want to see it born out on the forums first...

Here in Germany they can't even sell the X at what they intended to be it's going rate - €569.. They generally go on auction for about €450.. A year ago EVERY Savage 25 cost €500 - period.. The market is weird - and I suspect that because of quality and rep issues, in order to sell them and get them off the shelves they've forced to auction them.. IF that's true, my thinking was their value will just go down - so I decided to sell mine quick..

In the meantime, I may just buy another new Savage 25 (or LE if I can find one..) - and thrash that until the verdict on the X SS is out.. Don't know what prices are like in England, but for you if it's between the X RTR and X SS only, I personally would sell the RTR X and get the X SS.. Though RIGHT NOW I'd personally rather have a new 25...
Old 09-23-2006, 02:42 PM

This is getting silly guys. What, are you actually mad that they improved upon it? Who said the X was as good as it was getting?

You guys could always grab a Revo. Then you would only have weak suspension arms, weak suspension linkage, opti-crap system, that feminine EZstart setup, the junk engine that dies at 3 gallons, crappy engine mount, etc. etc. to go wrong.

Or you could go with an LST2 like I also have. That truck is awesome... you just have to sprinkle it with magic pixy dust right before you run it each time.

How about an MGT? All you need there is a few of everything RPM makes for it and you can go right out and enjoy the .21ish power of that .28 engine it comes with. It's like a bigger and tougher Tmaxx, but without the Traxxas part support.

Maybe you would be better off with a CEN. Then you could at least brag about how big your truck is.

They all have their own problems PLUS a few of the ones you are crying about, so give up on it already. You're still saver with a Savage for bashing.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:52 PM

Sorry Chronic - formerly, Savages stood out above all those other trucks precisely because they ruled in the toughness department.. Now, the X is exactly the same - you say get RPM this or that for the MGT, magic dust for the LST2, etc.. Well, that's no different whatsoever from the current situation of needing new TVP's for the X, old-style tranny case, the EXTRA need to shim/take care of your diffs, and on and on and on... THAT precisely is why the X is no better than any of those trucks you mentioned - AND why I don't want anything to do with mine.. OR a T-MAXX, OR a Revo, OR a CEN, and ON AND ON AND ON...
Old 09-23-2006, 02:54 PM

And as for what you say that they "have improved upon it"... No no no.. They SAY they've improved upon it... I anyway am going to wait and see.. This is what one calls learning from one's mistakes...
Old 09-23-2006, 03:03 PM

Exactly Patrick. All of those other trucks have plenty of problems, so it's not like HPI sold you anything worse than the rest of the market is offering. I just don't see a good reason for all of the bitterness. Criticism? Yes, but not to this degree. The problems with the X can be fixed with less effort than some of you guys have put into telling people how bad it is.

Patrick, I know you don't believe it, but there is more to running these things than jumping off a ramp. The Savage has always suffered in specific areas and all I'm seeing is HPI trying to correct those areas. You may love the Savage 25 just the way it comes out of the box, but you're actually in the minority on that one. To prove the point, maybe we should start a post asking what mods people have done to their "perfect" Savages.

I'm not just crap talking here either. I'm as big of a Savage fan as anyone on this board.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:20 PM

thanks 4 ur thoughts guys, im not sure how old u all are but im under 16 and my dad went mad wen i sed i was thinking bout sellin my £400 car!!!!!!!! keep on postin as i enjoy hearin ur views on this matter and tryin to justify y i wanna sell my x. thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 03:20 PM

"Exactly Patrick. All of those other trucks have plenty of problems, so it's not like HPI sold you anything worse than the rest of the market is offering."

The WHOLE POINT is, I bought the X cuz I thought - being a Savage - it was BETTER than all those other trucks.. The bitterness comes from finding out it's not.

Why do you like Savages so much - cuz they need a ton of upgrades and mods and stuff to make them decent?? No............ Cuz - at least before the X - they were the toughest.

Here then, in case you think I'm making this stuff up, here are a few pics from today, probably the best day out I've ever had... and THAT with a bone-stock Sav 25 one week short of its one year birthday...:

(Broken parts??:

Antenna cable.)

I'm STILL going through pics - over 60(= over 60 jumps at WOT).. No, they're not that hardcore - but for a one-year old truck with next to no maintenance - sorry, THIS is why I'm a Savage fan..

And BTW, now more than ever, I'm convinced to NOT drop a 28 into a Savage... My next Sav will have a Picco or Mach 26 and a 3-speed - for reliability/durability's sake.. Leave bragging rights to those for whom that kind of thing important.. What's important for me is AIR.. And I couldn't be any more convinced that my X wouldn't have survived HALF of what my year-old no-maintenance 25 went through today...

I WANTED IT TO BREAK for F's sake... I WANT to upgrade it, fix it up... But as long as it's takin' it - well, I just love the thing...(helps that there was a crowd there gasping and oohing and ahhing.. No, the pics don't do justice...)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65705.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	528918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70962.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	528919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73807.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	528920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11659.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	528921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf52157.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	528922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp92877.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	528923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg76577.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	528924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut66079.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	528925  

Old 09-23-2006, 04:44 PM

chronic
i m a huge savage fan like urself - dont get me wrong here - i am just telling it how it is - i m not one of those savage owners who cant admit that their truck has issues or cant stand anyone saying anythin bad about it - whats right is right - my bitterness comes from near enough the same reason as patrick's - savage x was supposed to be the toughest of all savages(or atleast tougher than the 25) if i m not mistaken - u talk about hpi making improvements? well, i beg to differ when it comes to the savage x

as i ve mentioned above, the x ss 4.6 seems to have all the ingredients of a much improved savage and i m very much looking forward to it and i really do hope its a huge success

Old 09-23-2006, 04:47 PM

It'll take me a while..., but eventually I think I'll coming around to feeling the same way...

I think..
Old 09-23-2006, 07:13 PM

I thought the big hype about the X was that they had made it easier to work on and that it handled better than the previous version. I don't remember them claiming it was the toughest Savage ever made. I do believe they are now making that claim about the SS though...

I'm like everyone else here and the only SS info I have to go on is what has been posted on the various sites, but I've seen enough to be impressed. You're going to see alot more people dropping Savages on racetracks because of this thing, and it should be a solid basher too.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 PM

Dont get either. Get a REVO 3.3, and make it badass, Like mine Or a badass Kyosho ST-R, like mine. Then, you could ALMOST be as cool as me.. almost.. [&:]
Old 09-23-2006, 07:25 PM

I agree..

also no one twisted anybodies arm to buy an X. every previous year Savage owner is a bit disappointed that they didn't wait I'm sure. but when you think about it all you really need to do is get a few new parts to update. I was bummed when the X came out that I didn't wait, then I wasn't.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.

Dont get either. Get a REVO 3.3, and make it badass, Like mine Or a badass Kyosho ST-R, like mine. Then, you could ALMOST be as cool as me.. almost.. [&:]

Oh paleeeeease....

....as long as we are on the subject, how is that badass Revo coming along anyway? Shifting yet?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Chronic

Oh paleeeeease....

....as long as we are on the subject, how is that badass Revo coming along anyway? Shifting yet?
Wheres your sense of humor chronic? T-bird says your such a jokester.

p.s. Even when it wouldn't shift, it was still way more fun than my savvy ever was![&:]
Old 09-23-2006, 08:09 PM

I was joking, and I wasn't ragging on your truck...seriously. I was just wondering if you had fixed it yet...[sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 09-23-2006, 08:47 PM

I was joking, and I wasn't ragging on your truck...seriously. I was just wondering if you had fixed it yet...[sm=confused_smile.gif]
hehehe.. I was about to ask you if you wanted to take this outside![&:]
Old 09-23-2006, 09:25 PM

This is getting silly guys. What, are you actually mad that they improved upon it? Who said the X was as good as it was getting?

You guys could always grab a Revo. Then you would only have weak suspension arms, weak suspension linkage, opti-crap system, that feminine EZstart setup, the junk engine that dies at 3 gallons, crappy engine mount, etc. etc. to go wrong.

Or you could go with an LST2 like I also have. That truck is awesome... you just have to sprinkle it with magic pixy dust right before you run it each time.

How about an MGT? All you need there is a few of everything RPM makes for it and you can go right out and enjoy the .21ish power of that .28 engine it comes with. It's like a bigger and tougher Tmaxx, but without the Traxxas part support.

Maybe you would be better off with a CEN. Then you could at least brag about how big your truck is.

They all have their own problems PLUS a few of the ones you are crying about, so give up on it already. You're still saver with a Savage for bashing.

[sm=lol.gif]lmao, i cant stop laughing. i agree with you they all have their hangups and the one i use is usually the one thats not broken that day or the one that i just put fresh batt in so far its the nemesis, not because its my favorite but because its the only one thats not apart waiting to be fixed lol
Old 09-23-2006, 10:10 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Ya and get beat by a old Savage like the 3 Revo’s I beat today at the track with K4.6 with well over 5 gallons run through it. One had a center diff and all sorts of hop ups but broke before the A main. Then the others 3.3 just could not hang on the straights with my old K4.6. Sorry but had to tell it like it is as the proof was in the pudding or at least once again at our little local track. Do not get me wrong Revo’s are good trucks as long as after buying one you get rid of half of it and start over. [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-23-2006, 10:25 PM

..which is exactly what i did! lol
Old 09-23-2006, 11:32 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I know Traxxas like people like you and is why they do not make kits as some like wasting money and they know you have to junk half of it and spend much money to make a descent truck. Yes you have a very nice Revo as I have seen pictures of it.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:41 PM

cry me a river buddy. It's my decision and not yours which ever truck i want to buy and whatever the hell I wanna do with it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.