Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
 Savage x 4.6 vs Revo 3.3 - Final questions... >

Savage x 4.6 vs Revo 3.3 - Final questions...

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage x 4.6 vs Revo 3.3 - Final questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage x 4.6 vs Revo 3.3 - Final questions...

Hi there

I'm quite new to the RC-hobby, but seriously experienced in reading about it, and yes, I have been through all the previous Savage vs Revo threads, but still it leaves me with a few questions to the well of knowledge all you guys have.

The new Savage 4.6. RTR that came out in May is quite attractive. But still I (think i) favor Revo 3.3

I'm in Denmark and I can shop in UK without adding customs and taxes. And modelsport.co.uk currently have the Revo 3.3 RTR at approx the same price as the new Savage x 4.6 RTR

I favor Revo for these reasons:

The Revo comes stock with:
- Reverse gear
- Electronic control - OptiDrive
- Fail safe
- Hump back
- EZ-Start with built in glow-plug starter.
- Integrated power charger.

To buy these things for the Savage will add up quite much.

Also I like the better handling and lighter weight of the Revo. For cars going 60-70 km/h, handling is nice to have :-)

But, I'll be bashing, not racing at tracks. Including some jumping and harsh terrain, but not extreme-monster-jumping though.

The good thing said about the Savage is it's durability.

- How much more bad are the Revo i durability respect?
I know this question regretably doesn't have explicit answers, but the better durability of the Savage is just about the only point I think I miss in the Revo. Does the Revo break all the time, or is this exagerated.

- What is it that breaks on the Revo. Is it like everything or a few things that just needs to be beefed up.

The steel bars at the a-arms, turnbuckles I belive they are called seems wounerable on the pictures. Is that just a hunch, or are they some of the stuff known to break on the Revo.

Nitro-fuel is expensive enough in Denmark, so I see it as a plus the Revo has a smaller engine. How much more fuel does the Savage 4.6 use above the 3.3 engine in the Revo (for the same style of driving, e.g. same driver)?

- Is it 40% more as the engine is 40% larger (4.6. to 3.3)?

- The Revo also seems to be happy with 15-16% nitro where the Savage nees 20+% nitro. is this correct?

- How much more torque and punch will the Savage give? Or perhaps better asked as would I need power as a basher than the lighter Revo 3.3 gives me?

- Is the Electronic control Transmission just fine words, or does it add value?

E.g. setting shifting point between gears i guess is not done electronically.

Also I count it as a bonus to have "constant drive engagement", but not fully sure what it is :-) Is it instead of a 3 bell clutch that you hear most other trucks have, e.g. the Savage.

I have a HPI e-Savage, and the general build quality didn't impress me. Traxxas is a bigger company (biggest) than HPI. Who of them is known to have
- the better build quality and quality in general?
- Better customer support and willingness to exchange parts etc.

As you can read I'm leaning towards Revo. In short this is a question about whether the better durability and hardness of the Savage should make me choose Savage.

If I go with the Revo, what should I order from the start with the car?
Glow plugs, after run oil, filter oil, specific parts that breaks, steel gears, etc..

Oh, and now I have you guys. How long can you store nitro fuel?

And, I know answers can be biased, so I've taken the liberty to post this both in the traxxas and HPI forums.

Thanx in anticipation for your help. Man... what should we do without the internet...

Best regards
Jens
Denmark
Old 06-17-2007, 05:54 AM

Default RE: Savage x 4.6 vs Revo 3.3 - Final questions...

you will want to put this in the traxxas forum as well, being the hpi forum you will tend to get biased reply's, same go's for the traxxas forum.

now things that you should order with a revo, some very useful things if your new, extra spur gears (go's with any truck really), push rods for the suspension are also very useful, running into stuff head on tends to bend them when you hit hard enough and it sucks when your days ends coz of a silly mistake or interference, the stock arms do well with durability, but once you do break them RPM a arms are the way to go, also RPM axle carriers are good for rough terrain because they're beefier, and allow the use of larger bearings and have a lifetime warranty so if you break the RPM ones you get new ones for free.

the TRX engine is more fuel efficient the the savvys, because it's a smaller engine, and because the revo is 4 pounds lighter then the savvy, less to move, but it has enough power to move the revo, very fast to, i'v been clocked 42 mph stock, not the claimed 45 but it's close, and just as fast or faster then a stock savvy, but the TRX engines don't like being miss treated at all, you will hear horror stories about the TRX 3.3, and 90% of time time the engine yuo hear the stories about are not run in properly, run to lean or never had after run done on them, when you break in the engine use the heat cycle, not the traxxas break in as the traxxas break in is to sudden and you will loose engine life, if yuo treat the 3.3's right, don't run them to lea, do after rune every single time you use the truck and do a proper break in, you'll be good for at least 7 or 8 gallons of fuel.

the revo in reality isn't as bad as a lot of savvy guys make them out to be, i mean i do some pretty narly jumping with mine without any serious breakages, worst so far is snapping a shock shaft, my fault really, had 60 wt shock oil, shoulda been using 80 for what i was jumping (a good 9 foot high, maybe a little more) and my air control needs a little improving, if you plan on jumping the stock fluid is wya to thin, you want at least 55-60 WT for jumping, and for big jumps 80 or more.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:00 AM

The revo and savage would be about the same weight. The revo comes with alot smaller engine then the savage so it will be alot slower. The traxxas controllers are garbage, but the hpi one isnt much better. If your racing get the revo if your bashing get the savage.

- Reverse gear - nice to have, but not needed
- Electronic control - OptiDrive - what is this? oh its just the 2 speed reverse controller.
- Fail safe - nice to have cheap to buy.
- Hump back - Always a must.
- EZ-Start with built in glow-plug starter. - Adds alot of weight and they tend to burn out fairly eisily.
- Integrated power charger. - You can add the same thing to the savage by changing the on off switch.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:11 AM

the revo stock is 9 pounds, the savage is 14 pounds, even with the smaller engine the revo is faster, better power to weight ratio, the traxxas radio is good in it's stock form for using analog servos, but as soon as you get into the high end digital servos you need end point adjustment and the stock radio doesn't offer that, truthfully the the ez start is a pain in the ass, good for beginners that don't do a lot of bashing, and when they do don't do very hard bashing, but one you start getting air the weirs all snap off the terminals on the starter motor and the blue wire gets ripped to shred with a few to many roll overs, and i'd get rid of the opti drive, put in an after market fail safe and make sure you don't hit there reverse button because the optidrive is known to stuff up and switch it into reverse while you going forwards, rips the tranny to shreds.

although i don't see this revo is only good for bashing argument very just, i bash, and i bash hard with my revo, almost stock, got an after market engine, new tires and wheels and FOC and it has survived more then one failed back flip and bad landing from 8 feet and over with only one failed suspension component (the shock shaft on the rear left), and a melted drive shaft coz the hex pin snapped so the axle was just spining in the wheel hex, got pretty hot.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: ttoks

you will want to put this in the traxxas forum as well, being the hpi forum you will tend to get biased reply's, same go's for the traxxas forum.

now things that you should order with a revo, some very useful things if your new, extra spur gears (go's with any truck really),

the revo in reality isn't as bad as a lot of savvy guys make them out to be, i mean i do some pretty narly jumping with mine without any serious breakages, worst so far is snapping a shock shaft, my fault really, had 60 wt shock oil, shoulda been using 80 for what i was jumping (a good 9 foot high, maybe a little more) and my air control needs a little improving, if you plan on jumping the stock fluid is wya to thin, you want at least 55-60 WT for jumping, and for big jumps 80 or more.

i disagree on the spur comment. i've got an xss and the spur and CB are still in one piece. i've been bashing my truck hard and the only thing that happened to it was a bent shock shaft.

i spent 60$ upgrading to lst shocks and the 15-20ft jumps are not a problem anymore.

i've had many bad spills landing on it's side, top, front bumber, snagging a root at full throtle, sideswiping a sand box, landing vertical from 10ft on concrete, etc... i can truly say the savage is built sturdy.

i'm not going to talk crap on the revo but i will say that the savage is one hell of a basher, because it's a tough truck.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

The revo and savage would be about the same weight. The revo comes with alot smaller engine then the savage so it will be alot slower. The traxxas controllers are garbage, but the hpi one isnt much better. If your racing get the revo if your bashing get the savage.

- Electronic control - OptiDrive - what is this? oh its just the 2 speed reverse controller.
- EZ-Start with built in glow-plug starter. - Adds alot of weight and they tend to burn out fairly eisily.
- Integrated power charger. - You can add the same thing to the savage by changing the on off switch.

THE REVO IS MUCH FASTER!!!!!!

DO YOU LIKE TO RUN TO YOUR CAR EVERYTIME IT RUNS INTO A ROCK!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2007, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: p8ntball

what does that mean any car can hit into a rock nd youll have to get it.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: p8ntball

what does that mean any car can hit into a rock nd youll have to get it.

with reverse you can back out...
Old 06-18-2007, 01:46 AM

umm dude, the spur comment was because he is new and thus may have a little trouble setting the mesh correctly, not by any failure on behalf of the spur gear itself.

and the revo is a capable basher itself, just have a look at the vids freez makes.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: ttoks

the revo stock is 9 pounds, the savage is 14 pounds, even with the smaller engine the revo is faster, better power to weight ratio, the traxxas radio is good in it's stock form for using analog servos, but as soon as you get into the high end digital servos you need end point adjustment and the stock radio doesn't offer that, truthfully the the ez start is a pain in the ass, good for beginners that don't do a lot of bashing, and when they do don't do very hard bashing, but one you start getting air the weirs all snap off the terminals on the starter motor and the blue wire gets ripped to shred with a few to many roll overs, and i'd get rid of the opti drive, put in an after market fail safe and make sure you don't hit there reverse button because the optidrive is known to stuff up and switch it into reverse while you going forwards, rips the tranny to shreds.

although i don't see this revo is only good for bashing argument very just, i bash, and i bash hard with my revo, almost stock, got an after market engine, new tires and wheels and FOC and it has survived more then one failed back flip and bad landing from 8 feet and over with only one failed suspension component (the shock shaft on the rear left), and a melted drive shaft coz the hex pin snapped so the axle was just spining in the wheel hex, got pretty hot.
dude...where do you come off saying the savage is 14lbs. even the original savage was like 13. something lbs. The new savage x is at 11.5 lbs. Please know your stuff before posting.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=47_47.gif][sm=stupid.gif]
Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 PM
(X)

Well i have a Savage X and it's the best basher ever (in my oppinion)

I'm not much of a driver so its had to be pretty tough, but so far nothing at all has broke

Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly if you dont bash too hard then I would say a Revo would be better for you. The immediate things that need to be upgraded on that is RPM A arms which will never break and I would immediatly toss the TRX 3.3 engine (sell it on ebay) and buy a Picco .26 or an O.S. .18TM. Other than that I think the truck would suit you better because it does have a bit better fuel economy, its light weight, and its pretty durable, never as durable as the Savage but its ok to drive around and do small jumps. Both Savage and Revo engines are comfy with 20% juice but as I said, the stock engine on the Revo is trash and I would sell it right away!!![8D] Good luck, Tom.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:20 PM

revo-samall(1/10 scale) big engine=fast
RACER

Savage-big(1/8 scale) heavy, big engine= alittle slower but still fun
BASHER
Old 06-18-2007, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

...buy a Picco .26 or an O.S. .18TM. [8D] Good luck, Tom.
How well does those two engines fit in?

Are they compatible with easy-start?

Or in other words, how easy are they to replace. Recall I'm a newbie.

Thanx
Jens
Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 PM

...and furthermore.

- Can the drivetrain etc. withstand the added power of the pico engine? Or does upgrading the engine mean other upgrades too?

- How is the stock engine in horsepower?

Regards
Jens
Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the O.S. .18TM is a direct drop in with no mods needed, it used the EZ Start. The Picco .26 needs a special engine mount but from what Ive read thats all it needs. I dont think you need any special mods except maybe beefing up the diffs a bit. I have a Sirio .18 and my diffs went in the middle of the first gallon (of that engine being installed) on my T-maxx but they already had about 8 gallons on them[8D] Other than the mount, I dont believe you need anything more to fit, maybe a special header but thats all. It is also EZ Start compatible. IMO the Picco .26 is the best bet as it gives awesome power and you dont need a BB kit to use it. The stock engine is decently fast out of the box but is hard to tune like all TRX series engines and many people blow their conrods on them[&o] Good luck, Tom.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: JENC

...and furthermore.

- Can the drivetrain etc. withstand the added power of the pico engine? Or does upgrading the engine mean other upgrades too?

- How is the stock engine in horsepower?

Regards
Jens
The stock engine might be sufficent for some, not me though. The Picco is defintely a powerhouse, and it's a top quality engine.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:21 AM

i got the revo 3.3 and first thing i got was the rpm arms because i went head on with a parked car lol, then i got the ofna picco .26 max engine with pull start, i put a side exhaust on it but you cant see it. that thing is raw power!! threw the ez start crap away. then got the center diff with the rear brakes, i did the steering mod's to get more steering, i got me a really fast airtronics servo for the throttle and a hitec 333 or some oz of torque for steering. i race at the local track and that thing handles like no other. im not to sure what options on gearing you got on the savvy's but there's alot for the revo's. i love my revo. im still running stock knuckle carriers, stock chassis, stock shocks, stock driveshafts, stock diffs, stock rockers, stock tranny gears, none of these stock's broke yet so no need to upgrade with the tekno wing kit, tekno fuel tank mods and a 250cc fuel tank my truck weights in at almost 9lbs. so if you plan on racing you should get a revo, even for bashing just get all or most rpm arms but if you plan on bashing harcore id probably go with a savage x ss. they do look tuff. hope this helps. well good luck
Old 08-24-2007, 06:44 AM

ive got a revo3.3 and recently got a savage x 4.6 . And heres my opinion. The revo is more suited to race bashing its slopey suspension soaks up the bumbs and it just rips through the dirt at insane speeds its pretty good for all terrain its just that when people try to get more power out of them they lean them out and you know what happens then lol , but the revo3.3 you can get bigblock engine mounts so you can always get a more powerfull engine , something im considering now for it but im going to get a 29cc headkit for my baja first. the trx 3.3 engine for me was the easiest motor to tune never had problems , and the truck itself is really reliable and the easiest to work on some parts started to wear out after one year of use mainly wear & tear .

The savage x 4.6 has lots of power even after putting heavy imex jumbo tires on it this truck still pulls wheelies and had to install the wheelie bar to it , the two speed in the savage is really something lol when it goes into second its like turbo this truck just takes off and also has option of three speed . but i just think that the savage to me is a more better looking truck hands down , but isnt much of a hard basher its hard suspension makes it bounce going over just slight rocky surface , to me its just more of a show off truck .
Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Kjøp Savage.
Jeg er fra Norge, og meg kan du stole på
Jeg har prøvd begge bilene, og Revo var bare kjedelig.
FÃ… savage X 4.6, den er bare helt sinnsyk:P
Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Ja täällä ollaan Suomesta. Tottakai, Savagen valitsin jos joutuisi valitsemaan noista [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-03-2007, 02:08 PM

you can't go wrong with eather kit. i have both and when i just want to have fun i run the savage. it's a stronger truck. when i do a little more than just bashing i use the revo. you can't take away the revo suspension it's just to cool. that's why it's winning all the monster truck racing classes. you don't see to many savage out there just like you don't see many t-maxx racing. i guess it just comes down to what you like and how easy it is to get replacment parts.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

The trx 3.3 gives about .95-1 hp. The HPI F46 gives 2.5-2.8 hp. The savage is heavier and is a bit slower, but the savage has a TON more torque. I really love the f4.6. Its a great engine and its super reliable.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

The savage is also one of the easiest trucks to work on. Diffs come out with 6 screws each. Tranny comes appart with idk, i think its like 10 screws. Engine mount is one of the best. Also, you cant beat the durability of the savvy