Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

is this fuel runnable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this fuel runnable?

I would love to run the savage that i spent a week rebuilding. I ran 2 tanks, its ALL better!!!. Heres the question, i have this blue thunder, it was in my garage for about a month or 2, with no cap, still smells like fuel, would it burn ok? I would love to run the truck, the real question is, will it hurt my truck? it may run a little worse, but can i do any damage?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Default RE: is this fuel runnable?

did yo have the second cap on and was it out of the sun?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 PM

did yo have the second cap on and was it out of the sun?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 PM

out of the sun, no cap at all.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:05 PM

i think it should be ok, if it gets in the sun the water evaporates and the water that condenses drips down and dissolves the nitrous.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 PM

ill run it tommorow. I dont NEED this engine. I can rebuild it anytime, when i do, i will be running quality fuel.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nitro fuel contains methonol.
methonol absorbs moisture.
use at your own risk.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:09 PM

well ok good luck, the savage is a nice truck lve heard
Old 11-16-2007, 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: biskit/mw

i think it should be ok, if it gets in the sun the water evaporates and the water that condenses drips down and dissolves the nitrous.
There is not a grain of thruth in that statement.

As mazda said, the methanol absorbs moisture out of the atmosphere. That will degrade the fuel, not because anything disloves but because it absorbs moisture. Also, there is no nitrous in our fuel. It contains nitromethane, methanol and either natural or synthetic castor oil.
If you want to try to run the fuel no harm will come to the engine. It will probably run like crap and be hard to tune but it won't damage the engine. If you do decide to use it I would certainly be sure to use ARO after every run with that fuel.

Next time you store fuel store it tightly capped with as much air as possable purged from the container then store it in a cool dark place. Stored that way it has a reasonably long (a year or more) shelf life.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 PM

yeah, my neighbor gave me a free nitro truck, and sent this fuel with it. Although then it had a cap, i remember taking it off for soemthing, then never puittin git back on. my normal fuel is stored correctly. i never planned on using this. Money is really tight right now.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

After sitting open for 2 months it is very likely that a large portion of your methanol has evaporated and has been replaced with water. If I were you, I'd just get rid of it and get some fresh fuel.

I once had a glass jar in the basement, nearly filled to the edge with fuel I had used to wash something. When I came back the following day, the jar had actually overflowed and left quite a puddle of oil on the table.
That is how much water is attracted to methanol.

Oh, and yes, the explanation "biskit" gave you a few posts back is totally bogus.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:00 PM

well to my suprise, the truck started rihgt up, a little lean on the high end. richened it up a little. and WOW WOW WOW. the truck has never ran so strong, smoke pouring out, flying down, screaming, the can my old neighbor gave me is marked blue thunder, but with sharpie on the back says RACE CAN GASSS. I want to know what was in it, temps were at 237-255. Amazing, so much power everywhere lol. Then i chewed up a spur gear, end of the fun. But yeah, i like that stuff, only if he did not move i could get me some.