Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

hpi 4.6 in a Revo 3.3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:29 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi 4.6 in a Revo 3.3?

I have a strange question...
First off, I bought a 3.3 Revo with lots of upgrades, a 2.5 Tmaxx, with a couple of upgrades, and a stock 2.5 tmaxx for $300. The tmaxxes were filthy, the Revo was very clean. I charged all batteries and the 3.3 fired right up, I drove it around a little (very little) and it died. Keep in mind that this was actually my first experience with nitro. It never refired. I tried to start it and it was locked up. I tore it apart and found the skirt of the piston cratered along with the top of the con rod. Not knowing much about these things, I didn't take the crankshaft out, but changed the piston, sleeve, and con rod. I cleaned out the crank case (not checking the bearings). I reassembled and tried to start it again. It cranks very slowly. I am guessing that the bearings are bad. I plan on rebuilding it with a new crank and bearings. Any suggestions?

I just stole a brand new hpi 4.6 for $110. Is there a mount that I can use to convert the 4.6 to the 3.3 mount?

I will post pics later.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Default RE: hpi 4.6 in a Revo 3.3?

You need to go to the Traxxas forum for this. There are guys there that have the BB conversions in thier revos. Do you know if you got the K4.6 or the F4.6? If the 3.3 engine was all pitted that means that you ran it lean. Very lean! What nitro are you running?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:35 PM

A 4.6 in a Revo would be way too much power. The Revo is made for a small block engine not a .28 big block. You'll rip up tranny gears and the front wheels won't stay on the ground.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM

I am using 20% Traxxas fuel. Like I said, It only ran for about 1 1/2 minuites. From the look of the inside (crank), the guy I got it from never used after run or maintained the engine. There is lots of corrosion on the crank. There is no pitting on the piston, the con rod shattered the skirt. I am guessing that it was on its last leg when I got it. I pulled a 2.5 from one of the tmaxxes, cleaned it up, inspected the internals, lubricated, and installed on the revo. It runs great. The other tmaxx runs good too after a good cleaning.

As for the 4.6, I don't know which one it is. How can you tell? Is there a way to beef up the tranny? So should I totally rebuild the 3.3 and just hang on to the 4.6? I guess I could trade some stuff for a savage or something to put it in. Is there a street car that it will fit in?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: BrandonFox28

A 4.6 in a Revo would be way too much power. The Revo is made for a small block engine not a .28 big block. You'll rip up tranny gears and the front wheels won't stay on the ground.
Actually, the drivetrain in the Revo will handle a K4.6 just FINE.

First off...after-run oil is a waste of time IMO. I just fired up my XXXNT AD2's OS .12TR after sitting for almost a year...with fuel in the tank and inside the engine. Runs great!

Second off...Traxxas fuel is TRASH. It's good for lighting campfires and not much good for that. Run Dynamite Blue Thunder Race, O'donnell Race, or some other low-oil-content fuel. Engines tune and run better and easier on low-oil-content fuels, and as long as you don't run lean...she'll last forever.

whichever 4.6 it is, get the Traxxas big block kit, and run that Revo into the ground, break it, fix it, and run it 'till it's cheaper to buy a new revo than to fix the old one.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 PM

I want to be able to wheelie on demand, I don't care for top end I want low end power for jumping and all around bashing. Working in the oilfield, I get bored a lot and find myself climbing the hills near the rigs with my (now temporarily 2.5) Revo 3.3. I would like to make this thing FLY through the air. I have Integy piggyback shocks, a roll cage (I believe it is a RB Concept), RPM Arms in front and rear, RPM Carrier hubs, and a few other upgrades like covers and skid plates. I do believe I am going to need a new chassis, I think I bent the front above the bulkhead forward. The rear of the front bulkhead no longer has the screws attached to it. This was after a back flip that landed on its nose, even with the rollcage on. I took the rollcage off to inspect everything more closely. It was hard to get back on. The rollcage is actually tweaked in the rear a tad. That is cool!!! Nothing else gave in. I can't wait to tear more stuff up!!!

I know...I am a kid trapped in a 37 year old body.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:23 AM

Lose the roll cage bud they do more damage then they are worth IMO. The revo can handle a big block if your have good throttle control. You will need to look into the new era or jconcepts BB kit to run the k4.6,the traxxas bb kit is made to work with bump start only engines so if you try to run a big block with a starter your going to run into issues with the rear a-arm hitting the pullstart or roto start unless you extended the rear portion of the chassis. You might consider looking at the picco .26 maxx and the new picco .26 Red dot version,both were made for the revo and are very nice engines and will make your revo fly. And RRP makes a all steel tranny conversion kit for the revo but it runs abotu $100,if you loosen your slipper and have throttle control you wont have to worry about shredding gears.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Revo 3.3 will handle big brushless power without too much drama. And those systems make a 4.6 look like a pull back and go toy.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:36 PM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rgbintx
I know...I am a kid trapped in a 37 year old body.
you and everybody else on this forum...'cept for the kids, of course

My girlfriend made a very astute observation about me the other day... "I don't think you've grown up at all...you just have more expensive toys". I ran that by my mom...and she concurs.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 PM

That is my wife's biggest complaint.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 PM

Just got new bearings, crankcase, and crank for my already brand new piston, sleeve, and con rod. I also replaced the chassis. I guess the only thing I have left to buy is the head and I have a brand new 3.3!!! So far I have $74 in parts just internals. Now maybe I can sell it all.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: BrandonFox28

Traxxas fuel is TRASH. It's good for lighting campfires and not much good for that. Run Dynamite Blue Thunder Race, O'donnell Race, or some other low-oil-content fuel. Engines tune and run better and easier on low-oil-content fuels, and as long as you don't run lean...she'll last forever.

Well, I am now using Byrons Gen2 30% it runs tons cooler. I finally have the 3.3 totally rebuilt (all new internals and crank case) only thing not new on the engine is the head. I got it back together and now it is leaking...off to the lhs for some sealant!
Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:15 PM

I ran my axial .32 in my revo 3.3 for a long time with no real issues. Only thing I stripped after many gallons later was the top shaft gear. Replaced that with the Robinsion racing gear and never had a problem since. I even still run reverse. I used the newera bigblock kit with a roto start. The newera allows you to use a pull or roto start but the motor sits up high and the throttle linkage is a pain to get right, but it works. I would of gone jconcepts kit if I had to do it all over again, I didnt like having my motor sitting up so high. The power was no big deal for me, I could easily of asked for alot more and still have plenty of control, but I might be different than some of these other guys on here. The faster it goes and more power the more fun for me.