Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage suprise please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage suprise please help

hello there people, got savage x 4.6 rtr for xmas had 10 tanks including run in, anyway cleaned it last night and tightened screws up. Being made of pure noobness i tightened up spur gear nut, then today took it out on the back field i noticed it was wheeling so easy then half a tank later the suprise it wheelied then a loud clicky noise kinda like when engine cuts out. now the engine starts sweet as a nut but no go if i push it forward for 2ft it stops and if i push it backwards for 2ft it stops, very sad i think it is time for surgery but before i start can one of you lads point me in the right direction what might be wrong and if it is poor build quality on hpi's part . you know what though can't wait to take thie savage apart and do some surgery.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: savage suprise please help

Check the diffs for damage. You really should have pulled them out and properly shimed them before you even ran it.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Hi man,
Sorry to hear about that, by tightening the nut all the way you tightened the slipper clutch, delivering all the power to the transmission and youve probably stripped a gear in there. Open up you center transmission case and inspect for damage, its pretty easy and can be done by removing 3 screws, check your manual!
Good luck!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Nesal

Hi man,
Sorry to hear about that, by tightening the nut all the way you tightened the slipper clutch, delivering all the power to the transmission and youve probably stripped a gear in there. Open up you center transmission case and inspect for damage, its pretty easy and can be done by removing 3 screws, check your manual!
Good luck!
Well, 3 screws for the top trans case, but 4 screws for the handle bar and 1 screw for the exhaust mount, but still very easy.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 PM

thanks for the response lads getting the tools out tommorow i think my mate might have some spares yeah and this time i will read the manual properly haha
Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM

I run them too tight to slip all the time, other wise all I get done is smoke off the clutch pads. I am betting you shelled a rear pinion. If you lift the front and roll it only on the back wheels, does it lock up or the other way around? Transmissions are really pretty strong in the later Savages. Glen
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 AM

right people i removed the rear diff and the rear bevel gear pinion is missing 2 teeth also the front dogbone is missing one side of the pin will this need replacing aswell thanks to budbud you were right top class
Old 12-30-2009, 11:47 AM

hello fugsypie i have some good news for you i have a spare bevel gear for you better still i have a whole diff case complete just take your one out and fit my one in its place we will do it tommorrow
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM

in the manual it says to tighten up completely then slacken the nut a 1/4 turn to prevent that happening so easily
Old 12-30-2009, 01:29 PM

cheers wolfie he tightened the nut and never gave it the quarter turn back i bet he wont do that again
Old 12-30-2009, 01:36 PM

I have heard a 1/4 turn or enough space between the coils that only a piece of paper could fit in between them.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 PM

yea slipper cluth real good idea but real pain in the ass
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: wolfie1

yea slipper cluth real good idea but real pain in the ass
What? How is it a PITA?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM

put the bullit proof diff gears in it i had the same problem with a brand new one and it took the bullitproof diffs to fix