Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Fowler Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fowler Flaps

I am flying 40% scale aerobatic Extra's/Sukhoi, etc and have recently started using 4 Stroke Gas engines which are heavier and since the top end rpm is lower one has to use the high pitch propellors of 36x 18, etc. These props accelarate the landing speed and also as the weight of the model is higher with 5 cylinder Radial engines.
Does anyone have experience of rigging/installing Fowler Flaps ---
Ajay.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:33 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Ajay. being that you have multiple servos on each aileron you could simply separate the ailerons into two sections and do some mixing to get inboard flaps. However being this is posted on the IMAC forum I have to remind you that per IMAC rules, if the full scale airplane did not have flaps then you are not allowed to use them during an IMAC contest. As far as weight is concerned, we have found that anything over 41-42 lbs on a typical 3M-3.1M airplane the weight really starts showing up in the sequence regardless of how much power you have.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be simpler to first try programming in spoilerons on a switch for landing. Tip both ailerons up 5 deg or so and mix in a little down elevator. They work well on my 35% Carden 300S and Double Vision to help slow them down for landing on a short field. You may also want to try Idle Down on a switch for landing as well. You can usually get a reliable idle for an unloaded prop several hundred RPM slower than what is reliable for when the plane is restrained on the ground. Makes a noticeable difference in the speed you carry in for landing.