Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
 JetCat RS232 Windows Software >

JetCat RS232 Windows Software

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

JetCat RS232 Windows Software

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JetCat RS232 Windows Software

Is there any type of documentation or instructions on the use of the JetCat Windows software ? I realize it opens up with some obvious buttons for its basicc functionality, but it would be nice to know all of the details and capabilities. For one thing, the "Save Data" function does not seem to work for me. This software seems to be a promising tool to
use to store and log run data from one's engine, but it's not obvious to me without documentation on how to get the most out of it.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:06 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: JetCat RS232 Windows Software

Hi pyropup (love the screen name, BTW)

There is no additional documentation for the software. It is a very low volume item, and I know everyone wishes it had more data but it does not.

What you are describing (the "Save Data" issue) sounds suspiciously like a bug that existed over a year ago. Can you confirm you have the latest version of software? The link for it is active at:

http://www.jetcatusa.com/software/setupJet4Win-engl.zip

Make sure you have that version, if it still does not work for you we will go from there.

Regards,

Matt

PS welcome to RCU. Do you ever fly at Sepulveda Basin?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:39 PM

Mr. Matt,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I ran my P-60 again today on the bench and after shutdown (without powering down),
I dragged the rig inside to the computer and downloaded the data, made and printed some plots, then used the "Save
flight data" function. It did work this time, as I've got a file I can open and read (text). After shutting down the ECU and
disconnecting, I tried to reopen this data to replot, but I could not get the software to read it in. Does it need to be in
comm with an ECU in order to do anything else ? For the benefit of others trying to use this software, let me ask a couple of
questions on basic use of the program:

1) There seem to be two "read data from ECU" buttons, one for log data, the other for shutdown data. I trust the log data
is from the immediately previous run, and the shutdown data is just the last few seconds (all you can download if you
shut the ECU off after a run). True ?

2) It is indicated that you can edit ECU parameters from the software, but it seems like most are locked out. Is it possible
to save ALL ECU parameters so that they can be reloaded if something bad happens to the ECU ?

3) What in your opinion is the best use for (or way to use) this software ? I would have bought it even as just as a curiosity
but would like to get the most out of it now that I have it.

Thanks for the time; I read your answers to posts all the time and have learned a lot from doing so. I have been to
Sepulveda but fly only at the Antelope Valley Tailwinds. BTW, if I were to describe the P-60 in one word, it would have to
be "Flawless". Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:27 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi pyropup,

First, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them.

Second, I have to say that I have never even loaded the windows version of the JetCat software. I have used the DOS version since day 1, and I view it through excel spreadsheets. From the demos I have seen, the windows progran looks great, I just have not used it myself.

To address your question: in my experience, the software is good for diagnosing airborne problems. You can diagnose almost any fuel system related problem using this software.

I have discussed your observations with Bob Wilcox, and he will be contacting you to go through the windows software. When I get my new plane going, I have got to get the local IT expert (aka wife) to the get the new software loaded on our road laptop to use at events.

Best regards,

Matt Carroll
Old 12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: pyropup

After shutting down the ECU and
disconnecting, I tried to reopen this data to replot, but I could not get the software to read it in. Does it need to be in
comm with an ECU in order to do anything else ?
This is a problem I reported quite a while ago (about 2 years ago and never been fixed as far as I know). You do not need to reconnect the ECU. The workaround, I discovered, is once you saved the file initially and go to reopen it within the software, you have to goto the file menu and click "Save flight data" FIRST. Then hit "Cancel" (not saving anything) THEN click "Load flight data". Works every time!

Let me know if the workaround solves your problem also.

Thanks

Nick

Old 12-05-2005, 11:05 PM

Nick,

Many thanks - you're procedure works around the problem. This was the first time I've been able to read back in saved data.
Also seems like you cannot browse to find the file - I needed to enter the name from memory. That's not a big deal though.

Thanks,
Gary