Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
*** Going the way of the dinosaurs ? *** >

*** Going the way of the dinosaurs ? ***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

*** Going the way of the dinosaurs ? ***

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *** Going the way of the dinosaurs ? ***

Kit or ARF, I never met a plane I didn't like. Like my friend once said, "It's ALL good, G". He was talking about another great hobby, but it applies here as well. I fly 'em all, and as many times as I can.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:08 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by Clean
What doesn't evaporate melts, but this is such a fine layer and isn't different then the original material, unlike the charred balsa which doesn't glue and should be removed with fine sandpaper.
None of my laser cut parts needed further dressing. There was no chalky char. Have you seen kits liks that? Who made them so I can steer clear.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I have read that the Charring should be removed with light sanding, this from a SIG tour I believe, but I haven't had a lazer cut kit yet, Derrick on the other hand posted that he had charring he didn't like, so we'll have to ask him.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:23 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Yes....the only laser cut kit I've done so far, had black/brown dust around the thicker pieces of balsa (ie 1/4 " thick pieces). I assume because they are burning through thicker wood that the power is cranked up on the laser???
The parts fit more than made up for the burnt edges though. I had also read that you don't really need to sand the charred edges off either, but I still lightly sanded the darker edges a bit first before glueing....the sanding dust was more messy than just plain old balsa dust....
Old 04-22-2002, 03:55 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default TATTOO!!

I don't like those two planes you have the pictures of on an previous post! I think they're not good enough for you! You better take your engine and electronics out of the larger one and send the plane to me... I'll put it where it belongs! By the way, what size engine do I need for it to put it IN THE AIR??? hehehehehe
I'll tell ART if you don't.. hehehe

Here's a picture of a 325 that was "scratched" from plans in a older copy of M.A.N. and the "cowl" is scratched from fiberglass,using balsa as the mold. And the young one holding it (my flying buddy) was scratched by my daughter 8 years ago now. Damned time flies...

There is always a place for "scratched, ARF, ARC, Buy from your buddy or whatever else there may be. I've had and done them all. Right now I'm into a "ARF" stage due to two jobs and no building time. I still think you should send that one to me though TATTOO!!

RON in NEVADA (WEST OF THE ROCKIES IN THE COUNTY OF NYE ON THE WILDCARD LINE)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9116_3993.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	6031  
Old 04-22-2002, 04:09 AM

Default TATTOO, ONCE AGAIN!

Is there a web site for all of the cool spad stuff I've seen just in this argumentive post??

I love these kinds of post they are soooo educational!!

How about some instructions? I would like to just put together a " UGLY STICK" type, to begin..

RON in NEVADA
Old 04-22-2002, 06:18 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: TATTOO, ONCE AGAIN!

Originally posted by DESERT RATT
Is there a web site for all of the cool spad stuff I've seen just in this argumentive post??

I love these kinds of post they are soooo educational!!

How about some instructions? I would like to just put together a " UGLY STICK" type, to begin..

RON in NEVADA
Ron - no more than about 1,000!!!

Here's a couple:

SpadToTheBone

A nice site!

An interesting Delta!!

Lot's more out there - just follow the links, and do a Google Search...
Old 04-22-2002, 06:41 AM

RCAV8OR,

THANKS!

I copied plans for a stick design, I'll give it a try.

RON in NEVADA
Old 04-22-2002, 11:07 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Good info on the laser cut parts. I will look for excess char on the future.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Volfy
By their own admission, kit and scratch builders are frugal by nature. I don't blame LHSs that no longer care about those who come in to buy $15 worth of balsa and disappears for 6 months.
Hmmnn... my LHS owner always seems happy to see me. Might be because last time I went in to "buy $15 worth of balsa " I left with a saito 56 and ~$700 in servos.

The last time I spoke with my LHS owner, he indicated he views small parts & wood as a low profit service he provides to keep us coming back for the "larger ticket" items.

He has figured out that he shouldn't point out ARFs when I ask "what's new".
Old 04-22-2002, 08:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Laser

I have a friend Jesse at Lazer-works http://www.lazer-works.com/ who cuts all of my kits for me. He cuts short kits only which works out for me as I like to hand pick my own sheeting etc and it only costs me abt 150 for most giant scale planes. I vectorize them for him and been learning a lot more abt the business and what he has told me is when you reach 1/4 inch thick wood you have to turn the laser up to cut thus charring slightly. usually that is as thick as he goes or it will really char so instead he laminates any thicker than that. when I get my parts from him they are just a nice tan toned and the 1/4 balsa a lottle darker tan but not charred the charred gets on the 1/4 in ply. I have built from precision and american and have gotten nice wood but at times have had charred. what i suspect is that they are doing massive kits at once and thus set the laser level at a constant but i dont know for sure. Jesse just does each kit one at a time.

thats my 2 cents
Old 10-20-2002, 11:51 AM

Guess I better get out and stock up on spad stuff. Once the politicians and Wal mart ext. find out about this stuff it will cost as much as any thing else to do with this hobby. I had no problems with the prices, and never gave it a second thought, until the lay offs hit me as well. Now I make little more than half what I used to. Point is I've been to spadtothebone and seen some really nice looking planes that are cheap to build. The word CHEAP really caught my eye. Not to mention fast builds, I still auger one in every now and then . Will I ever give up kit building? Not a chance! But I do see spads forcing me to live in a tent someday . ARFS have a place in the hobby, just not in my tent . I wan't everyone to be able to recognize my plane as being exclusively mine, myself included, especially while in the air. Happy flying no matter what you fly. You are all welcome as long as you and your plane are safe. Even if your plane is not safe, YOU, are welcome if you are safe. There is such a thing as unsafe on lookers. Let's all just have good (CLEAN) fun. I make this reference to CLEANs first post, very well put CLEAN. I don't know how to do quotes yet or I would Quote CLEANs post. So happy flying everyone. Garry